JessiG

Reform, Not Remove?

I was thinking of running a Reform, Not Remove counterplan to solve for environment, human rights, and rape advantages. I had heard this talked about at camp and thought it was a decent idea--but I can't find any files for it on the web. Is there some really big problem with this counterplan, or is it a good shot? If you like this idea, feel free to post any other thoughts you have on how to run it. Thanks.

Counter plans to make the military more environmentally friendly should be pretty easy to find. (there were a couple of these as affirmatives on the renewable energy topic) One important concern--which environmental scenario does the aff solve for (my guess is most are bio-diversity/species impact stories)

My guess for solving rape has something to do with sensitivity training.

The aff. could claim any number of human rights (torture, killing innocents)--the method for solving each might be a little different. Although, you could just do an advantage counterplan which increased US human rights credibility overall.

This seems like a decent counter plan with PMC fill in disad (as long as your links are credible/decent). Because even if the counterplan(s) only solve 60% to 80% of the aff--the neg. would avoid the worse.

Edited by nathan_debate

Thank you! That was helpful. But how would you go about finding cards for "counterplan: increase the US military's human rights credibility" ? I mean, what publication writes about that? I looked, but couldn't find much.

About 2/3rds of the years have a human rights counterplan (usually called soft power or international law). The UN topic and the civil rights obviously had some counterplans of this ilk.

The affs from the environmental topic are possible. (remember if you run these counterplans you will most likely link to oil disads and affs won't--this also gives you the possibility of solving for hege--but the perm will solve that part of the c/p 99% of the time)

One big FYI:

If you are going to download lots of files...you might think of storing them on an external hard drive which run about $75 to 100 in store...and about $50 and up if you purchase online. The next closest alternative is to burn CDs--I think spindels of CDs run about $10 to $15 for about 30 to 50 CDs. (that later pricing is very approximate)

One big FYI:

If you are going to download lots of files...you might think of storing them on an external hard drive which run about $75 to 100 in store...and about $50 and up if you purchase online. The next closest alternative is to burn CDs--I think spindels of CDs run about $10 to $15 for about 30 to 50 CDs. (that later pricing is very approximate)

I've always used a flashdrive- 8GB, somewhere between $16 and $25 dollars on Amazon/Newegg. Depends on the model. Also can get smaller for cheaper, 4GB, which is still plenty for just documents, or go even bigger. Flashdrives have the added advantage of being able to carry in your pocket, and thus u can use them on any computer, windows or mac. Just be sure to properly eject it, or else there can be some problems there.

Oh, and sorry to steal your thunder there, nathan_debate, Just trying to help

I've always used a flashdrive- 8GB, somewhere between $16 and $25 dollars on Amazon/Newegg. Depends on the model. Also can get smaller for cheaper, 4GB, which is still plenty for just documents, or go even bigger.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, we can't do the math to determine how big those files are--ultimately, it shouldn't be more than 50 to 100 files...so they should be fine with a flashdrive/jumpdrive/thumbdrive. And $16 to 25 is pretty reasonable too.

Its also worth noting that Michigan 7 week put out an advantage counter plan file which has at least one counterplan to solve softpower/human rights. (certainly going through the backfiles could help as well).

Edited by nathan_debate