rjk

Nebraska 2010-2011

Fair enough. The impression I got (and I admit that I haven't been on the circuit all year and witnessed it) was that certain teams had made it known that they didn't want to participate and they were being snubbed by the community for that decision. If that isn't the case, mea culpa. As long as people can freely opt out of the exchange without others retaliating against them, all is good.

The Millard North Milo comparison is exactly what I was advocating. In his view, it was not in the school's interest to disclose their cases. He very well may have been correct, as they had a lot of success. My view is merely that a team's coach, or the debaters themselves, should be able to say "we don't disclose" and nobody should be offended by that. You all made the choice to publish your arguments on an unsecured webpage. Some people will choose not to publish their arguments and look at your arguments. If you make something publicly available and are 100% opposed to securing it, you shouldn't be upset when other people choose to look at your arguments but do not post their own. Furthermore, you shouldn't expect that everyone else will post their information just because you have made it the norm to do so. That's the risk you've obviously decided take. Like I said though, as long as people don't get snubbed and isolated for non-participation, I think the wiki serves a good purpose.

Edited by Danny Tanner

First, a question:

Why does the utility of complete and total "open information" outweigh the coercion that is required to achieve it?

I'll try to be less wordy in my answer and split the block (since dylan already covered a lot of what i'd want to reply).

1. Not coercion: if you look at my prior post, I'm completely open to strategy - hell, look at the recognition of parasitism. If you wanna roll that way, go for it. But don't contradict yourself or come across as confused when you weep tears of "education and fairness." Honestly, I like a bastard at times. Hell, I hate Zizek's structuralism and yet I love reading and listening to the guy. Read him on Lenin and you're about ready to post up the Stalin posters and go full out. He's consistent. So if a team wants to be "tactical" and reclusive, go for it. But understand all tactics come with a cost, as the wiki-disclosers fully know on their side.

2. Debate norming is coercion (but nonunique): Having pulled the "20 year policy nap" unlike most here, I've seen one hell of a change in norms. New in 2AC/2NC was *standard* when I debated; now norms strongly frown on it, even when there's a good reason for it (counter-K for instance). Hamburger growled at me (rightfully so) at Caucus for being a speaks nazi (yea, I'm no speaks fairy and never will be) but he's right... there are community norms in what we do. Foucault smiles, I guess. That a community would have norming pressures on wiki-good/wiki-bad is expected. That it would exert pressures of those norms and consequences for non-normed behavior is expected.

Honestly, I'm all for teams doing what they want to do. I think a few here probably know just how much I really think about my judging every week to make sure I'm doing the best for that happen. But it does seem important to help the non-wiki teams understand the cost of their tactical choice per what appear to be evolving norms.

3. Milo and tortured debaters: Oh, and loved the Milo reference. Yea... how many of us were consequences of that coach :)

4. Nondisclosure choice:

My view is merely that a team's coach, or the debaters themselves, should be able to say "we don't disclose" and nobody should be offended by that.[/Quote] I'm totally down with that, but don't expect it doesn't have a tactical consequence as well. If you're cool there, we're in sync. "In the real world" (as if policy isn't, and that expression should never be taken as that, but rather a jab at the illusion of this world outside of debate), this is quite a factor. I have a steering group for my program that involves a half-dozen high level people. Some are open-book, always disclosing where they're at, if they're in agreement or not, and letting me know what my program has to do to win. Others not only refuse to disclose, but wait until we're in front of the very top execs, only to break from consensus when it serves their own interest (and throws us under the bus). I love the fact that policy is showing our kids these complicated tactics already, and just hope to make it more clear that this whole wiki issue isn't naive and a matter of sharing and being a good citizen, but is part of a meta-game going on between rounds and teams.

BTW... I love that everyone's as damn caring about what we do in policy. Danny, your comments are very much valued by me since it's the people that don't give a shit that I'm worried about :)

Have a great summer/rest of season everyone! The Fremont-Mills Academy Redneck Roughrider was my last tournament of the season; I'll be having a social life over the weekend of state, though I'm reasonably sure that Tim and Grady will be attending and breaking a new deconstruction aff with a Fun-o-Meter and 2 Man Plan advantage and the devastating Ishmael 2AC add-on.

See y'all at NDI or LSW, and don't be a stranger if you catch me on Facebook or out in the real world.

Have a great summer/rest of season everyone! The Fremont-Mills Academy Redneck Roughrider was my last tournament of the season; I'll be having a social life over the weekend of state, though I'm reasonably sure that Tim and Grady will be attending and breaking a new deconstruction aff with a Fun-o-Meter and 2 Man Plan advantage and the devastating Ishmael 2AC add-on.

It's like I never left.

Jorge (Ricki) Ledesma - Ethan Smith Fremont High School

Katie Ford - Angelica Mercado Fremont High School

Nathaniel Martin - Don Vuong Fremont High School

Arron Johnson - Raymond Wunder Lincoln High School

Brian Gonzaba - Tyler Snelling Millard South

Bri Hargan - Mary Marcum Millard South

Max Anderson - Matt Casas Millard South

Kirsten Blagg - Yan Zhang Millard West High School

Brian Murray - Lana Wang Millard West High School

Nishant Badal - Jack Spady Millard West High School

Grady Wiedeman - Tim Mastny Norfolk Senior High School

Daniel Carlson - Sam Fuller Westside High School

Michael Keefe - Charie Payne Westside High School

Jacob Wichert - Tarek Ali Westside High School

Congrats to everyone for a great state tournament!

Sems-

Millard South GS def. Millard West MW

Millard South HM def. Millard West BZ

Finals-

GS walks over HM.

CONGRATULATIONS to the 2011 Nebraska Policy Debate champions, Tyler Snelling and Brian Gonzaba of Millard South.

Well done y'all. Good luck at the TOC/NFLs/CFLs/whatever else you have going for you.

in the future, if anyone has a problem with my decisions please confront me about it in a forum where i can respond; and not behind my back for the rest of the community to see.

• Upvote 2

I don't have a problem with your decisions, but I think you smell. and you have a rude demeanor towards me. defend that bitch.

And you always threatened to make me ride on top of the bus on the way home if I lost a round. You're a really mean person Josh Wilcox.

Sorry for the double post, but it's worth it to bump. Current Baylor and former Nebraska debater for Kearney, Lincoln East and Millard South Ashley Morgan has made it to quarterfinals at the NDT, which is a huge accomplishment. Here's a spreadsheet with real-time results: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtmBAuyc1N_bdDNvY0Y5YUhwZXZtNkpDWHdNVVlyYVE&hl=en#gid=0

Emporia WW also broke, which is fantastic and good news for NDI considering that Ryan Wash is an instructor there. Looks like Koslow and Spurlock (more NDI instructors) barely missed out on breaking, but still did quite well.

Sorry for the double post, but it's worth it to bump. Current Baylor and former Nebraska debater for Kearney, Lincoln East and Millard South Ashley Morgan has made it to quarterfinals at the NDT, which is a huge accomplishment. Here's a spreadsheet with real-time results: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtmBAuyc1N_bdDNvY0Y5YUhwZXZtNkpDWHdNVVlyYVE&hl=en#gid=0

Emporia WW also broke, which is fantastic and good news for NDI considering that Ryan Wash is an instructor there. Looks like Koslow and Spurlock (more NDI instructors) barely missed out on breaking, but still did quite well.

who all partnered with ashley again?

• Upvote 1

Mostly Carly, like when they won state. Also with Lisa briefly when she debated at millard south. and some randos at Kearney.

in the future, if anyone has a problem with my decisions please confront me about it in a forum where i can respond; and not behind my back for the rest of the community to see.

It's over, Josh. This behavior is not 8".

And you always threatened to make me ride on top of the bus on the way home if I lost a round. You're a really mean person Josh Wilcox.

That's better than what happened if you lost.

And one of the kids Ashley debated with in high school was one of the republican emo crew. Dylan, I'm sure you remember these dweebs. I judged a semis round at state where it was one krny team vs another. Ashley and her partner were dating Rachel and John. I don't remember who won because I couldn't get over how awkward the dynamics in the room were.

Edited by hiphoppopotamus

Huge congrats to all the Millard South boys! Also to the Southwest and Millard West debaters that spent the weekend in Kentucky. Way to represent; wish I could have watched some rounds.