rjk

Nebraska 2010-2011

umm .. i'm debating with the ginger, so that debate won't happen ... or at least it shouldn't

I tried to positive rep this but it wouldn't let me, so I'll just neg rep the ginger.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

does anyone have a team list?

Don't have a whole list, but my guess is something like this based upon how many teams have shown up at other tournaments:

Millard South: 4 (mentioned earlier)

Millard West: 3-4

Fremont: 4-5

Norfolk: 1 (Kimble/Wiedeman)

Lincoln High: 1

Westside: 2-4

So I woudn't be surprised if there were some out of state teams, if what I hear about it being a 22 team field is true.

• Upvote 1

Jacob Robinson - Riley Beranek Fremont High School

Theron Estes - James Stout Fremont High School

Katie Ford - Angelica Mercado Fremont High School

Jorge (Ricki) Ledesma - Ethan Smith Fremont High School

Nathaniel Martin - Don Vuong Fremont High School

Breanna Parks - Ciarra Weidner Fremont High School

Craig Thor - Jared Webb Fremont High School

Preston Schaaf - Jay Saker Fremont-Mills

Donnie Anderson - Chase Nissan Fremont-Mills

Derrick Stevens - Arron Johnson Lincoln High School

Pavan Myneni - Abhishek Jaddu Millard North High School

Bri Hargan - Mary Marcum Millard South

Brian Gonzaba - Deegan Freeman Millard South

Max Anderson - Tyler Snelling Millard South

Frank Perrone - Chase Gibb Millard South

Matt Casas - Ben Karschner Millard South

Collin Lynch - Jake Barnett Millard South

Nishant Badal - Jack Spady Millard West High School

Kirsten Blagg - Yan Zhang Millard West High School

Brian Murray - Lana Wang Millard West High School

Jinfeng Jiang - Wenbo Wang Millard West High School

Seth Kimble - Grady Wiedeman Norfolk Senior High School

Jacob Wichert - Tarek Ali Westside High School

Edited by snelling101
fuunnny formatting

Jacob Robinson - Riley Beranek Fremont High School

Theron Estes - James Stout Fremont High School

Katie Ford - Angelica Mercado Fremont High School

Jorge (Ricki) Ledesma - Ethan Smith Fremont High School

Nathaniel Martin - Don Vuong Fremont High School

Breanna Parks - Ciarra Weidner Fremont High School

Craig Thor - Jared Webb Fremont High School

Preston Schaaf - Jay Saker Fremont-Mills

Donnie Anderson - Chase Nissan Fremont-Mills

Derrick Stevens - Arron Johnson Lincoln High School

Pavan Myneni - Abhishek Jaddu Millard North High School

Bri Hargan - Mary Marcum Millard South

Brian Gonzaba - Deegan Freeman Millard South

Max Anderson - Tyler Snelling Millard South

Frank Perrone - Chase Gibb Millard South

Matt Casas - Ben Karschner Millard South

Collin Lynch - Jake Barnett Millard South

Nishant Badal - Jack Spady Millard West High School

Kirsten Blagg - Yan Zhang Millard West High School

Brian Murray - Lana Wang Millard West High School

Jinfeng Jiang - Wenbo Wang Millard West High School

Seth Kimble - Grady Wiedeman Norfolk Senior High School

Jacob Wichert - Tarek Ali Westside High School

seven total schools lol

Is there any information out there about NDI yet as far as pricing, dates, etc. go? Norfolk's novices are interested in attending camp, and NDI would do them a lot of good.

i don't think there's anything official put together yet. last time i'd talked to fred it sounded like he was still solidifying staff and that sort of logistics. i'd just ask fred. he'll know whats certain and whats not at this point, what you can tell your kids.

Fred is putting the final documents together as we speak. We will be posting hopefully by the end of the week. Best camp in the land baby!

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the info. I'm keeping an eye out.

On an unrelated note, congratulations to Fremont's Angelica Mercado for making the semifinal round at the NFL qualifying tournament for extemp after never having competed in an extemp tournament before. Extemp is a great activity that, despite what many debaters think, is not easy to just step in and own at, and making semifinals at an important tournament is a testament to Angelica's work ethic and skill in an extremely educationally valuable and fun activity. Way to go! (Incidentally, more CX debaters ought to do extemp. I think you'll find the skills you learned in debate are useful there and the skills you learn in extemp will make you a better debater.)

Looking forward to quals next weekend. Everyone better bring their A game.

• Upvote 1

Millard South did a great job at HoFlo this weekend:

Gonzaba and Snelling got to octas. Brian got 9th Speaker, Snelling got 13th.

Also, congrats to Casas for getting 16th Speaker.

Swag was on full blast in Chicago!

So that whole nat qual thing is this weekend...

I just want to make sure that everybody competing has their wiki updated for the battle royale.

Best of luck to everyone.

Hey, if you write it we will take it...but I can't promise it will see any rounds. We will be there expressing our will to joy in a sea of stress and aggravation. So the disad has to be a grip of fun to run...we will go ahead and assume if we run politics we will lose but if it is fun we are willing to do it.

-Also-

I will make a promise. If you write it and we don't read it I will take the disad swimming with me on the morning of the final day in the Kentucky River. It is the politics disads equivalent of being baptized in the Jordan River. So either way the disad will be happy about its trip. And, I will have another entity willing to bathe in the river with me...and that I assume is going to be a one time event haha...

Wait...is that you Charlie?

• Upvote 1

So that whole nat qual thing is this weekend...

I just want to make sure that everybody competing has their wiki updated for the battle royale.

Best of luck to everyone.

Every team in the state except Lincoln High and Fremont Ethan/Ricky has their stuff up on the wiki.

*hint*

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Every team in the state except Lincoln High and Fremont Ethan/Ricky has their stuff up on the wiki.

*hint*

Yeah that was my feeble attempt to hint, but I guess that wasn't very...explicit.

Regardless...wikis and stuff...yeah....

Regardless...wikis and stuff...yeah....

To create a page: (if you want me to create pages for your teams, just send me a list of the debaters that want one )

1st- Go to the website ( http://wiki.debatecoaches.org/ )

2nd - select join and create an account for the wiki

3rd - After that's set up, on the left hand side of the page on the home page of the wiki, there is an option for "new page" - select that.

4th - the page name should follow the format that the wiki uses which would be ex: 2010-2011 — City (NE) — Debater 1 & Debater 2

5th- Select the template as policy

6th - leave tags blank

then select create

To put stuff on the page: (you still need an account, that's explained above)

1st - select the team that you want to put on it

2nd - on the upper portion of the page, there is a toolbar that spans horizontally, select "edit" and that will take you to a word applet

3rd - in the open window, paste text that you wish to be posted, using headers allows you to create a table of contents

Table of contents explained -

high light the text to be used as a title, and then select header 1 or header 2 depending on the level in the table you want the text to appear (see my page as an example)

Edited by snelling101
Non-specification intended :)
  • Downvote 1

I know some smaller programs might think its to their benefit to use but not participate in the wiki, but--

1) It's flat out bad for the activity. Debate is one of the few communities that avoids the "tragedy of the commons" for the most part because schools recognize that in order to maintain a strong community they have to sacrifice or at least give up some level of a perceived strategic advantage via practices like disclosure. This benefits the activity by increasing education and specificity of research. The same logic applies to the wiki. If some schools don't participate, the benefits of disclosure and research are sacrificed.

2) It doesn't matter. Millard South, Millard West, any national circuit schools from out of state have the coaches, judges, and resources to find out what you're running anyway. You might as well give other small schools like Norfolk, Lincoln and Fremont the same chance that the big dogs are getting.

3) TURN: Not participating in the wiki excludes you from the community by creating a perception of exclusiveness (I tried to look for another word), which will make things more difficult when traveling to national tournaments or out of state tournaments because maybe other squads won't be so prone to share files or strategies against Huge Private School Debate Academy's A team as they would against another wiki team.

In short, I don't mean to be a dick, but the wiki is really important for small circuits like ours to survive. The activity that we all feel so strongly about is called debate, not surprise; not putting the drones aff or whatever that you've been running all year on the wiki doesn't surprise anyone anyway, it just makes the debates lower quality and allows for lazy debaters who don't write blocks or do research to be successful.

Stepping off my high horse now.

This is an example of why i need to check cross-x more often, apparently.

I was under the impression we had a page on the wiki, so this is news to me. I don't keep digital copies of my debaters' stuff, so I can't change it now. But make us a page and I'll make them put it up tonight.

Sorry to everyone that it's not already up. I'm about as big of a proponent of informative, robust wikis as anyone can be, so I understand the frustration. It's going to get fixed.

• Upvote 1

This is an example of why i need to check cross-x more often, apparently.

I was under the impression we had a page on the wiki, so this is news to me. I don't keep digital copies of my debaters' stuff, so I can't change it now. But make us a page and I'll make them put it up tonight.

Sorry to everyone that it's not already up. I'm about as big of a proponent of informative, robust wikis as anyone can be, so I understand the frustration. It's going to get fixed.

BTW that wasn't meant as a shot at y'all. The people (... mostly debaters) my rant was aimed at know who they are. >.>

you should post on the wiki

If Norfolk reads a framework argument like this next time you come to my area (intentionally not specified) I'd be happy. I'd read the framework argument myself, but my coach would probably be upset. It's worth the loss I'd take hitting it in order to improve the quality of local debate.

If Norfolk reads a framework argument like this next time you come to my area (intentionally not specified) I'd be happy. I'd read the framework argument myself, but my coach would probably be upset. It's worth the loss I'd take hitting it in order to improve the quality of local debate.

Change will come! I know some schools from your area are putting their stuff up on the wiki, and in general as one school does it others will follow. As a younger generation of judges begins to graduate and judge/coach the activity I think you'll find disclosure practices will get a lot more open. I'm rooting for it anyway.

NEBRASKA:

Up:

Millard West Kirsten/Yan 2-0

Millard West Brian/Lana 2-0

Millard West novices 2-0

Norfolk Tim/Grady 2-0

Down:

Millard West Nishant/Novice 1-1

Fremont Angelika/Katie 1-1

Out:

Fremont Don/Nate

Fremont Novice 2