rjk

Nebraska 2010-2011

Attention Debate Community-- Please don't take this post the wrong way. I've thought (and consulted with a fellow judge that I respect a lot) about this issue and I feel like I have an ethical obligation as a judge to post this. Please understand that I'm not attempting to limit arguments out of a debate round before it happens; I am only warning people of my limitations as a judge:

I understand that some policy debate teams are planning on running affirmative cases about the recent tragedy at Millard South High School. I don't live in Omaha but I count many Millard South students and alumni among my friends and acquaintances, and basically the situation is obviously a pretty emotional one for all involved, especially those in the Millard South community.

The reason I mention this is that running an argument about this school shooting has a very strong chance of compromising my objectivity as a judge; it encourages me to respond to an issue at an emotional level rather than at a distance in the lab of debate like we're all accustomed to. Note that I am not discouraging you from running these arguments in front of me or anyone else, only noting that running these arguments has the potential to compromise my objectivity. I'm not even taking a stance on whether or not that's a bad thing. I just think it should be out there. I will make as strong an effort as I ever have to remain objective as I always do, however.

If I'm judging policy tomorrow (I might be in the PF field, I'm not actually sure), I'll remind teams of this before every round regardless of what school they debate for. The direction of the round is, as I believe it should be, up to the debaters.

Happy debating, and remember to have a good time this weekend.

We will be giving speeches about the event but to be clear there is no argument. We will be forfeiting rounds but using the time provided to memorialize our administrator and share our experiences of the events. We will not be making any arguments. We will post the final version of speeches and video if we can make it work to further share this experience with the debate community.

We will be giving speeches about the event but to be clear there is no argument. We will be forfeiting rounds but using the time provided to memorialize our administrator and share our experiences of the events. We will not be making any arguments. We will post the final version of speeches and video if we can make it work to further share this experience with the debate community.

Thanks for the clarification.

The secret winner of prelims, however, was Tim Mastny of Norfolk who went 4-0 as a maverick, bringing his maverick record this season to 8-0.

The secret winner of prelims, however, was Tim Mastny of Norfolk who went 4-0 as a maverick, bringing his maverick record this season to 8-0.

Jesus, Tim's a beast.

@ Millard South

LOVE the idea for the new AFF, and my prayers and thoughts are with those coping and the lost.

-Sincerely the random red headed kid who debated you guys at East last year.

• Downvote 1

thanks man... ryan how was pf judging?

I ended up judging policy. 7 rounds of it.

Weak sauce

Weak sauce? I'm not sure what that means, but if I didn't like judging debate I wouldn't do it. Just saying. It's not like judging paychecks are huge incentives :P

The finals round was one of the better rounds I've seen this year. I'm looking forward to more great rounds next weekend at Westside. Good luck to all the Nebraska teams next weekend.

he probably just meant its a lot to have to judge all the rounds.

Congratulations to Millard South SG, Millard South HM, and Millard West BZ for breaking at Westside; double congrats to Millard South SG for being the undefeated first seed out of prelims; triple congrats to whichever team (South SG or West BZ) ends up winning today and picking up the bid.

Edited by rjk

COngrats to Brian and Snelling for recienving their first bid! And congrats to Yen and Kirsten for getting into the bid round!

And further congratulations on winning the tournament with dropping only 2 ballots

Edited by mattcasas

THE SETTING...

title.png

THE EP-PIC BATTLE...

dumpsheet.png

THE INEVITABLE FALL...

bracket.png

THE SETTING...

title.png

THE EP-PIC BATTLE...

dumpsheet.png

THE INEVITABLE FALL...

bracket.png

AWESOME FIND! Did you find this on the 3NR?

26 was pretty good for me really. Funny story about that close out. They came to my Mom to ask them who we wanted to advance since Milo was strangely missing from this national circuit travel. My Mom comes up to the four of us and lets us know the situation. My buddies were cool and despite the fact that they had better speaks told my Mom to advance us because we were first on the school depth chart...my Mom kinda laughed. She told them that she had already made that decision without their consent. I was laughing my ass off...one of the benefits of having a Mom cool enough to drag you to debate tournaments. Now I didn't go check the dump sheet but I am pretty sure that was this round. What a great Mom!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. that story is awesome. yeah, the3nr -http://results.the3nr.com/ .

THE SETTING...

title.png

THE EP-PIC BATTLE...

dumpsheet.png

THE INEVITABLE FALL...

bracket.png

dylan, At least dana broke at the glenbrooks ... sucks to go 5/2 and not break :) (i couldn't figure out how to put the cool pictures in, but 2003 glenbrooks)

it's okay tyler, message boards are hard. so is distinguishing the glenbrooks from new trier.