Sign in to follow this  
TheHutt

Netbooks

I need to get my dad a netbook for his birthday. Assuming he uses it only for casual purposes (i.e. no high-end software/gaming needs) and I have a $400 price ceiling, what models would you recommend?

This is the netbook I use:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220698&Tpk=asus%201201t

I like it because I always thought the 10.1" machines were too small. the 12.1" screen is a perfect compromise for me, and i just use the machine for debate and school work, with a few old school games (diablo 2!) here and there. The specs are pretty decent too, as many netbooks only ship with 1GB of RAM with this model carrying 2GB. The catch is that it doesn't ship with an OS, which is why it's so cheap. This wasn't a problem for me as I just loaded my Win7 install CD onto a flash drive (no optical drive, obv.), made it bootable and installed it from there. Even though there's no full OS it does ship with the Asus express gate "OS" which is a slimmed down version of linux for surfing the web, using email, etc.

Either way you go, I highly suggest Asus as they have the lowest hardware failure rate currently on the market.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220651

How do people feel about that particular netbook/package? I'm looking to buy one since the display on my notebook went bad. So I'm using that like a tower unit on a desk top, but I still need something for travel.

ASUS is pretty much where it's at for netbooks. That's a pretty good deal, but I can't justify to myself having a machine with only 1GB of RAM, even if it is a netbook, which is also partially the reason i opted for the one I linked to above. If you don't care about the RAM and the 10.1" screen, then it'll do just fine.