The Gender Bender

Inception

People who dickride actors instead of screenwriters and directors are responsible for the most bullshit in the film industry.

Also, I thought Inception was fantastic.

it's funny, too, because he spells one of the actors' names wrong.

i read somewhere that one of the main reasons nolan even directed batman begins and the dark knight is to get experience of doing movies of that magnitude so he could make inception.

that would make sense, as he sold the idea for inception after memento or insomnia, but wanted to write the script in its own time and not on a deadline.

Edited by Gargamel

the thing is though. it isn't all about the writers and directors. so many people are involved. nolan is a bit different cause he's writer, director & producer but sometimes directors don't do much. i think it's fair to give the talent credit where they deserve it...

I'm sorry, no. A good actor can't save a shitty script or vision, but a good writer or director can make up for a bad performance.

Inception isn't good because of the cast.

the filmmaking process is fluid and interactive. the cast isn't shitty because the casting director wasn't shitty because christopher nolan is a good producer. also, i disagree: terrible actors can absolutely ruin a good script beyond repair. a good editor can salvage a terrible film despite the director. etc etc.

filmmaking is not chess. it's more like waging war and chris nolan is a good general. and unlike chess pieces good soldiers should also be recognized.

• Upvote 1

Ellen Page/ Ellen Page's character was bad. Don't get me wrong I really liked the movie but the Ellen Page character doesn't make any sense. Leo just confesses his darkest secrets to her just because shes there. There is a 5minute scene where he teaches her stuff and then they become best friends, it didn't make sense. I also thought Page's performance was poor, but I think a lot of that was her character.

• Downvote 1

It ended up being $11, but I did it. Still haven't seen Toy Story 3, but I may need to wait for DVD now.

[spoilerS]

The ending explains the perceived weakness of Ellen Page's character. I too thought she was a bit too "all-knowing", connecting complex dots as a supposed novice, but if she's just a projection in Cobb's dream, then she's just the vehicle his subconscious picked to relay information he needs to be reminded of.

But I think there's a major continuity problem with the wife's suicide. If, as the ending establishes, it's all a dream, then why didn't her body disappear from the the dream when she "died" and woke up as Arther/J.G. Levitt's did when he disconnected from the riot at the beginning? Either her body didn't disappear, in which case she wasn't part of the dream at all, just another projection, or it did disappear and Cobb is dumb for not noticing.

[END SPOILERS}

Edited by Fox On Socks

Ellen Page/ Ellen Page's character was bad. Don't get me wrong I really liked the movie but the Ellen Page character doesn't make any sense. Leo just confesses his darkest secrets to her just because shes there. There is a 5minute scene where he teaches her stuff and then they become best friends, it didn't make sense. I also thought Page's performance was poor, but I think a lot of that was her character.

Science fiction 101: You need a character who has no idea what is going so people can explain to that character and the audience what is going on. Pretty vital in a movie that has so many layers of complexity like Inception. So Page's character was necessary. Whether or not her just intuitively knowing Leo was full of shit most of the time served as a good enough explanation for the dark secret stuff is up for debate.

Inception was an interesting film to watch. There's no doubt about that. Stop reading now if you haven't seen it. I think there are many areas of dreaming that are left unexplored and that the plot is still being debated. Obviously, everyone is talking about the very last shot of the film (did he wake up?). I don't think that if Mr. Cobb is still dreaming at end of the story, the entire film was necessarily a dream. It could simply be that he is still in another dimension of "limbo" that was previously unexplored. Remember that the top was shown to topple over at the beginning of the movie. Then again, it could all have been a dream, which would make it somewhat difficult (or maybe very easy) to explain why having Mr. Cobb's wife die in his dream brought her back in another level of his dream.

Furthermore, was Mr. Cobb's one experience of inception with his wife his only evidence that the inception would work? If the dreamer forgets the dream when he wakes up, where is the guarantee he won't forget the idea? If the dreamer remembers something when he wakes up, where is the guarantee he won't remember being set up by Mr. Cobb? I think that the film doesn't really answer these questions, since we don't actually find out whether the inception really did work.

Also, I thought this was a pretty funny article:

http://videogum.com/208132/caught-inception-ripped-off-scrooge-mcduck/remakes-and-spinoffs/

not to distract from Inception as a whole, but I do have a thought on Leonardo Dicaprio.

Are psychological thrillers and mindfucks going to his new typecast? He seems to be fitting the part well so far, with his performance in Shutter Island and (maybe a little less so) Inception being good.

Has he been in movies like this before?

try the aviator

Or revolutionary road, or the Departed, or Gangs of New York. Lately I seem to celebrate his entire catalog.

Which is stragne, because in the late 90s he was one of my least favorite actors.

As for Inception, this movie came out the week i was working 60 hours a week, so all my friends saw it without me, and no one wanted to see it with me. I have yet to see this masterpiece as a result.

However, being a movie hipster, I will probably be biased against it because I find Christopher Nolan's fans annoying.