Rhizome

Unemployment

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/02/business/la-fi-jobs-report-20100703

well, it fell from 9.7 to 9.5 but all in all it's not looking good. Over 300,000 people actually have 'stopped' looking for jobs.

Wow.

America's intellectual dominance, especially over the latter half of the 20th century was a direct product of the destruction of Europe during WWII which led to a massive brain drain of the European countries as scientists and intellectuals alike flocked to the safe shores of America.

The current downturn could have been tempered b a healthy economy from the perspective of market fundamentals. But the product of decades of focus on activities unrelated to innovation. As we transition into a service-oriented industry, we lose out on developing the very human capital responsible for propelling America to the status she has enjoyed for the last century.

Without innovation, the service industry is largely a shell game moving financial capital from one corner to another trying to stay one step ahead of the tumultuous tsunami chasing it.

Edited by Ankur

In all honesty, I call fucking bullshit on the unemployment rate dropping. Not the reality I'm witnessing, not at all.

Its dropping because unemployment is defined as people actively seeking work. If 300,000 people leave the labor force because they stop looking for work, they are no longer 'unemployed'.

Unemployment numbers are deceiving that way.

Better measures are employment, wages, savings rate, etc.

The measure of a healthy economy is economic activity - lending, commerce, etc.

It's ironic because Tommy lost his cx posting job today...

You must spread some rep, etc.

Also, :( He'll still be selling mattresses in our hearts.

• Upvote 1

Its dropping because unemployment is defined as people actively seeking work. If 300,000 people leave the labor force because they stop looking for work, they are no longer 'unemployed'.

Unemployment numbers are deceiving that way.

Better measures are employment, wages, savings rate, etc.

The measure of a healthy economy is economic activity - lending, commerce, etc.

Sorry, in my drunken stupor this morning I only read the "dropped from 9/7 to 9.5" - didn't mean for y'all to have to hold my hand and sing the abcs with me lol

My alcohol attention span is about as long as