Sign in to follow this  
KCKCCdebate

KCKCC Free High School Debate Workshop

I am pleased to announce that the 4th annual KCKCC Free High School Debate Workshop will take place from August 2nd-August 6th on the campus of Kansas City Kansas Community College.

This workshop is made possible by the generous funding and support from the KCKCC Division of Humanities and Fine Arts, the College Provost, the College Vice-President for Financial Services, the College President and the Board of Trustees.

The college's commitment to and belief in supporting the endeavors of High School students continues to allow us to provide opportunities such as this to the High School community.

As in the past, the workshop will integrate lectures on the 2010-2011 HS Topic, Fundamentals of argument construction and refutation, Theory and Practice, and opportunity for practice debates on the topic. Get a jump start on your friends and competitors by being well-versed and well-rehearsed on the topic before the season even begins.

We have had attendance from students throughout Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma in the past. We expect a good turnout once again. Please register early so we have an idea of our size and space needs.

We anticipate the delivery of guest lectures from some of debate's best minds, practitioners, and coaches. Watch for updates on this website as they become available.

If you have any questions, please email me at delliott@kckcc.edu

We look forward to hosting you in August!

Chief

Darren Elliott

Director of Debate and Forensics

Kansas City Kansas Community College

The workshop will begin at 9am on Monday morning. We will be meeting in room 2105 of the Humanities Bldg at KCKCC. I will have a more complete schedule posted later today. We will run from 9-4 each day with a lunch break.

If you think you are attending or are bringing people, please let me know. We have some materials we need to copy prior to beginning on Monday and would like to have a rough estimate of how much we need to do.

I also want to finalize some lectures with some visiting lecturers, so knowing the number and experience level would be helpful.

Please email me at delliott@kckcc.edu

thanks,

chief

Darren Elliott

KCKCC

KCKCC DEBATE WORKSHOP SCHEDULE

Monday--

8:30am—9am Registration/Check In (Room 2105 Humanities--look for signs)

9am—Noon Topic Lecture Part I

Noon-1:30pm Lunch on your own

1:30pm-4pm Topic Lecture Part II

Small Group Meetings

Speaking Drills

Tuesday--

9am-Noon Affirmative Case Construction

Plans/Advantages

1:30pm-4pm Topicality Theory and Topicality Arguments

Small Group Meetings

Speaking Drills

Wednesday--

9am—Noon Negative Approaches to the Topic

Disadvantage Theory and Topic Disadvantages

Counterplan Theory and Topic Counterplans

1:30pm—4pm Kritik Theory and Topic Kritiks

Small Group Meetings

Speaking Drills

Thursday--

9am—Noon Practice Speeches/Debates

Group Breakouts

Noon—1:30pm Lunch on your own

1:30pm—4pm Small Group Meetings

Practice Speeches/Debates

Friday--

9am—Noon Practice Speeches/Debates

Noon—1:30pm Lunch on your own

1:30pm—4pm Small Group Meetings

Practice Speeches/Debates

Melissa, you're the best! Thanks. I'm looking forward to it again. Hope to see you somewhere at a tournament soon! You should bring teams up the first weekend in Nov. : )

chief

Day 1--Included a topic lecture and Aff ideas from 9a-Noon. Great discussion and questions.

How to research and Topicality was in the afternoon session.

Day 2--This morning an extensive session on speaker position responsibilities.

This afternoon--Debating the K with Alex McVey of Olathe East and Baylor stardom. Then:

Counterplans with David Magariel of KU fame!

Students are learning a lot.

If you missed either or both days, you can still come the rest of the week. Disads, Winning the big round, Negative Topic approaches, and practice debates still to come this week! Coaches welcome as well!! Room 3398 of the Jewell Bldg!

chief

Darren Elliott

Kansas City KS Community College