WKenney

A Question of Laptops In Kansas

The Tournaments my Senior in KS that allowed laptops are the ones I did the best in. I have a Handwriting Disability so Flowing was very hard. Once I was allowed to use a computer I was able to flow much better. I feel the benefits of Allowing Laptops far O/W the Problems they Present.

Depending on the nature of your disability, the state will grant accommodations to the rules. Obvious examples would be for blind and deaf students to be able to use Braille technology or an interpreter, respectively, but I've also known of students being allowed to use laptops if they were physically incapable of writing at any speed.

Depending on the nature of your disability, the state will grant accommodations to the rules. Obvious examples would be for blind and deaf students to be able to use Braille technology or an interpreter, respectively, but I've also known of students being allowed to use laptops if they were physically incapable of writing at any speed.

I have dysgraphia which made it impossible to flow at the same rate and within the size constraints of paper. In college I'm still the only member of the squad to flow on a laptop but it helps so much.

I honestly do not know why coaches are banning laptops at tournaments. I can see why coaches ban internet access at tournaments...but laptop usage? Come on now. The only thing, at least what I think, that is a little annoying about laptop usage, is how people sometimes have problems showing evidence to the opposing team because it is "their only source of evidence" so that would make the debate unfair and un educational. And some teams even have technical difficulties with their laptops like batteries dying (its happened before). I can see how coaches hosting the tournaments could see this as an issue and they want to avoid it. But the fact is, if you have a personal laptop, which a fair percentage of the Kansas population have, and you find debating on the laptop has more qualities than flaws...why not just have a universal "rule" stating laptops are all good at tournaments but use them at your own risk? It doesn't really make sense to me. If the debater would like to take the risk of technical problems in the round and doesn't care about people using his/her laptop for displaying evidence, then there should definitely be a universal rule stating that laptops are acceptable, but optional. Also, new judges of the debate community should be notified of the acceptance of laptops.

Just my opinion.

I honestly do not know why coaches are banning laptops at tournaments. I can see why coaches ban internet access at tournaments...but laptop usage? Come on now. The only thing, at least what I think, that is a little annoying about laptop usage, is how people sometimes have problems showing evidence to the opposing team because it is "their only source of evidence" so that would make the debate unfair and un educational. And some teams even have technical difficulties with their laptops like batteries dying (its happened before). I can see how coaches hosting the tournaments could see this as an issue and they want to avoid it. But the fact is, if you have a personal laptop, which a fair percentage of the Kansas population have, and you find debating on the laptop has more qualities than flaws...why not just have a universal "rule" stating laptops are all good at tournaments but use them at your own risk? It doesn't really make sense to me. If the debater would like to take the risk of technical problems in the round and doesn't care about people using his/her laptop for displaying evidence, then there should definitely be a universal rule stating that laptops are acceptable, but optional. Also, new judges of the debate community should be notified of the acceptance of laptops.

Just my opinion.

Jack....stop posting