Mr. T

Massive Disad list.

State dept focused on X now - Plan makes them shift focus - Focus / capital is limited - X is good

this is always run on every foreign policy topical in recent memory

I think cooperation/alliances bad makes more sense than State department tradeoff (although there may be a very good link).

A. We don't have enough support for Iran sanctions

B. Aff = more coop from X country (they are key to Iran Sanctions)

C. Iran Sanctions = war.

Similar impact scenarios could be built around a couple countries perhaps.

My guess is this is what a state dept tradeoff disad would look like

A. State department focused on middle east peace process

B. State department focus on Japan/Korea or Iraq/Afghanistan causes a tradeoff.

C. Peace process key to middle east peace/avoiding escalation.

The state department tradeoff also is a disad that potentially links to consult counterplans.

I think the problem is that the state department is probably heavily involved in these countries now to keep the forces which backlash against the bases at bay. (it may be the case that the disad could be written in reverse--in the case of middle east peace there are peace process bad impact turns).

Edited by nathan_debate
  • Downvote 1

PTSD DA

Kuwait Terrorism DA

Afghan Narcotics DA

Mercenaries DA

Spousal Abuse DA

The thing about PTSD is that the link is inevitable. If you withdraw troops, they will suffer from PTSD when they return, but even if we don't withdraw, they will eventually finish a Tour of Duty, and when they return, will suffer from PTSD. I don't think that that DA will be really effective as a DA next year.

Econ on transportation costs - I don't really think that it is its own full-blown disad, rather than just a specific impact scenario under an Econ DA.

Can anyone explain Mercs DA and PMC DA? I'm assuming that they're just Private Military Contractor disads, but explain the internal link and impact story a bit.

idk, if this was ever answered, but basically what PMC DA is is pulling out of usually Afghanistan or Iraq will cause the DOD to employ more PMC's to maintain stability. MPX include dehuman, International law, stability, and the best, neoliberalism.

The thing about PTSD is that the link is inevitable. If you withdraw troops, they will suffer from PTSD when they return, but even if we don't withdraw, they will eventually finish a Tour of Duty, and when they return, will suffer from PTSD. I don't think that that DA will be really effective as a DA next year.

That's ridiculous. PTSD likelihood spikes exponentially with increased tours of duty. Post TRAUMATIC STRESS disorder increases in likelihood with increased exposure to TRAUMATIC STRESS.

PTSD not only has horrific impacts, but turns case.

PTSD is also an internal link to value to life. Victims of PTSD often experience "emotional numbing", in which it is almost impossible to experience joy or happiness or peace. Temporarily, sure. But resonating peace that engulfs the heart? Nothing of the sort. It also destroys the ability to sleep, to concentrate, to make love, and to live peacably. Victims are often ravaged by fits of displaced rage; they were traumatized by an event that they can not conceivably take revenge upon. But that rage still exists; it is thus displaced on children, spouses, friends and even themselves. Suicide rates in the military are up - as are repeat tours and stoploss implementation. Speak to any victim of PTSD to see the devastating effect this has on the lives of our military protectors.

PTSD also turns case - soldiers are unlikely to report PTSD because of how terribly its stigmatized in military operations. However, PTSD detracts from the ability of a soldier to fight, to concentrate, and to work as a unit. Indeed, high tension situations can even cause flashbacks to the traumatic event as well as blackouts. If the guy who is covering your six just passed out, where the fuck are you? Dead.

PTSD is absolutely terrible, and deserves attention in this coming year. I could even see an AFF that eliminated stoploss*: I bet there are cards galore saying that to do so would result in thousands of soldiers coming home, especially from Iraq and Afghanistan.

To prevent PICs, the Stoploss Aff could ban non-SF stoploss only, to maintain stoploss's initial purpose. Edited by Snarf

That's retarded. PTSD likelihood spikes exponentially with increased tours of duty. Post TRAUMATIC STRESS disorder increases in likelihood with increased exposure to TRAUMATIC STRESS.

PTSD not only has horrific impacts, but turns case.

PTSD is also an internal link to value to life. Victims of PTSD often experience "emotional numbing", in which it is almost impossible to experience joy or happiness or peace. Temporarily, sure. But resonating peace that engulfs the heart? Nothing of the sort. It also destroys the ability to sleep, to concentrate, to make love, and to live peacably. Victims are often ravaged by fits of displaced rage; they were traumatized by an event that they can not conceivably take revenge upon. But that rage still exists; it is thus displaced on children, spouses, friends and even themselves. Suicide rates in the military are up - as are repeat tours and stoploss implementation. Speak to any victim of PTSD to see the devastating effect this has on the lives of our military protectors.

PTSD also turns case - soldiers are unlikely to report PTSD because of how terribly its stigmatized in military operations. However, PTSD detracts from the ability of a soldier to fight, to concentrate, and to work as a unit. Indeed, high tension situations can even cause flashbacks to the traumatic event as well as blackouts. If the guy who is covering your six just passed out, where the fuck are you? Dead.

PTSD is absolutely terrible, and deserves attention in this coming year. I could even see an AFF that eliminated stoploss*: I bet there are cards galore saying that to do so would result in thousands of soldiers coming home, especially from Iraq and Afghanistan.

To prevent PICs, the Stoploss Aff could ban non-SF stoploss only, to maintain stoploss's initial purpose.

I think we can agree that PSTD is absolutely horrible. The application to this topic is where maybe not strategic. I think we need to realize there is a difference between problems in the world and problems we talk about in the debate sphere.

I'm not saying PTSD isn't dehumanizing - it is. I just disputed its utility in a debate round because I felt that inevitability was a really good argument against it. Obviously that doesn't mean you shouldn't run it, I mean, it could be more of a linear disad, but, if that's the case, why don't you just use it as an impact to some sort of K that says focusing on a lack of war as our only source of peace is bad, things like domestic violence and poverty also lead to unpeaceful nations and focus on a lack of war leads to ignorance of the terrible conditions people live in.

Just because I don't think PTSD is a good disad doesn't mean that I don't feel lucky that there are people out their saving their asses for me every day.

The thing about PTSD is that the link is inevitable. If you withdraw troops, they will suffer from PTSD when they return, but even if we don't withdraw, they will eventually finish a Tour of Duty, and when they return, will suffer from PTSD.

Exactly. The best way to integrate the PTSD impact seems to be with respect to:

1) re-deployment disads

2) a bring the troops home disad = spousal abuse = mental health issues & violence

Particular fields of battle might have higher levels of PTSD (ie Japan vs. Afganistan/Iraq). I'm not sure if this evidence exists.

Otherwise, the PTSD disad does not make much sense.

Obviously PTSD is a possible aff impact if the aff gets to stop paying or fires the troops. (which seems pretty extra-topical....or FX) Although I'm not sure the strategic purpose of doing so--given that there is certainly a robust critical literature (which leans both libertarian as well as toward Foucault which critiques issues of mental health labeling & medical models)

Redeployment DA, then

Also, START politics

Israel DA

Turkey Coup DA (withdrawal causes Kurdish coup)

and general relations disads - ENDI released a massive relations file which covers great relations evidence with every topic country - I highly reccomend reading through it

Also, can you seperate DOD Budget (ABLs) from the other disad

My little contribution to this is that some of these disads, so just embedd them in case. For example the crime disad.

idk, if this was ever answered, but basically what PMC DA is is pulling out of usually Afghanistan or Iraq will cause the DOD to employ more PMC's to maintain stability. MPX include dehuman, International law, stability, and the best, neoliberalism.

this isn't limited to Iraq/Afghan- it can be used any time troops are removed. And it isn't just the DOD that will deploy them- multinational companies, international organizations like the UN, or even the countries themselves can use them, like Japan and South Korea.

But yes, the story is the same- US removal of troops=increase in PMCs. i think a good link scenario is the perception of stability US troops put out, because that provides a good reasoning for the increase of PMCs from companies/organizations or even from countries to attempt to attract foreign investors. so....

also, you can do a PMC reallocation disad for VS BAN PMCs aff to prove inevitability of aff impacts and then a cp to remove them worldwide.

Just a thought....

• Upvote 1

Almost every DA on the topic can be put into the categories of: heg DA, Econ DA, Politics DA

TOTES TRUE- that's why i only write 3 blox to DAs lololollawlz

• Downvote 1

Inspired by the list of camp affirmatives that was compiled by Christina Tallungan, Alex Agne of Detroit Country Day School has compiled a list of the disadvantages that were produced at this summer’s institutes. The complete list (in alphabetical order) is below the fold.

Afghan Resources (SDI)

Appeasement (Capitol, DDW, KU, Samford)

Allied Prolif (DDW, Emory, KU, SDI)

China Agression (Emory, Gzaga, KU, NU, SDI, UMich, UNT)

CMR (Berkley, Capitol, DDI, DDW, Kentucky, SDI, UMich)

Coercive Diplomacy (UMich)

CPGS (DDI)

Deterrence (Berkley, NU, Samford, SDI, UMich, UNT)

Diplomatic Focus (Berkley, UMich)

Gates (DDI, Emory)

Heg/Resolve (Berkley, Capitol, DDW, GTown, Samford)

Iran Agression (Emory, UNT)

Iran Prolif (Capitol)

Iraq Politics (DDI)

Israel (DDI, DDW, UNT)

Israel Politics (Gzaga)

Japan Air Power (UNT)

Japan Econ (Gzaga)

Japan F22′s (DDI)

Japan JASA Bad (Gzaga)

Japan Politics (DDI, GTown, UMich)

Japan Rearm (Berkley, DDI, DDW, GTown, UNT, Whitman)

See the full list of camp disadvantages on the military presence topic.

Are there any relations bad disad files that were put out????

Edited by nathan_debate
  • Upvote 1

Can someone clarify to me what is a good DA to write from scratch and where i should start? Like what articles to go through and what search engines, and how to organize my data, etc.

US showing weakness --> russia goes on the offensive

usually based around cards by the classiest of authors, j.r. nyquist

Sometimes the impact card is bostrom 02 if its that we leave and cause political vacuum. Usually something like, US russia nuke war is the only existential risk- which is obviously not what Bostrom wrote.

TOTES TRUE- that's why i only write 3 blox to DAs lololollawlz

There are a bunch of case-specific das that turn case tho, like turkish prolif on the tnws removal aff

There are a bunch of case-specific das that turn case tho, like turkish prolif on the tnws removal aff

I thought my trolling was overt.

It was obviously not.

It would be super helpful to see some DAs in the context of net benefits. Like for maybe an Afghan drugs DA, would a consult Afghanistan cp be used?