Grimace

Dell

Generally agreed: Dells do suck.

That said, some people get deals on Dells through their school or through their parents' work (especially true around my area where lots of people work for the government and get deals through their IT offices which often can only buy Dells). I actually am using a Dell right now and have had to replace the charger recently. The original charge lasted about 2 years. I picked up an off-brand chrger from Amazon along with an off-brand replacement battery and they're both doing great at a little under 1/3 of the price I would have had to pay Dell for the same parts. Just thought I'd throw that out there for people in the same situation.

You guys are noobs.

I've had my xps for 2 years, and there have been no charger/battery issues. If you are going to be stupid with your battery (ie doing charge cycles improperly) your battery will die quickly. Amazon is a good place to get replacements, but eBay is cheaper IMO.

HPs are a little cheaper than Dells and just slightly lower quality. I've used Dell Laptops since 06 and have yet to have a battery no longer offer a reasonable charge (90+ minutes with internet + applications) and I've never had a charger cable break.

However, there are some problems that seem germane to Dell laptops:

1. Graphics card overheating: This happened to me regularly on my Inspiron and on my current XPS. There is no reasonable fix. If I am in a room over 76 degrees F, nothing can be done to prevent overheating after some period of time (1-2 hours) of intense gaming. If I am in a room lower than 76 degrees, a combination of cooling pad and desk fan pointed directly at the laptop from 4 inches away usually does the trick.

2. Wireless issues: Dell uses pretty bad wifi cards that are plagued with bugs and various problems, or at least, this has been my experience.

HPs are a little cheaper than Dells and just slightly lower quality. I've used Dell Laptops since 06 and have yet to have a battery no longer offer a reasonable charge (90+ minutes with internet + applications) and I've never had a charger cable break.

However, there are some problems that seem germane to Dell laptops:

1. Graphics card overheating: This happened to me regularly on my Inspiron and on my current XPS. There is no reasonable fix. If I am in a room over 76 degrees F, nothing can be done to prevent overheating after some period of time (1-2 hours) of intense gaming. If I am in a room lower than 76 degrees, a combination of cooling pad and desk fan pointed directly at the laptop from 4 inches away usually does the trick.

2. Wireless issues: Dell uses pretty bad wifi cards that are plagued with bugs and various problems, or at least, this has been my experience.

Some nvidia video cards in XPS do have problems. It needs to be replaced with a better video card :( To deal with overheating, I use ik8fangui and set the fan on max.

Wireless issues haven't been a problem for me.