Ron Bratt

Capitol Debate Fall Classic Tournament - October 30 - 31

We would like to invite you to the 4th Annual Capitol Debate Fall Classic Debate Tournament located in Howard County, Maryland (between Baltimore and DC). The dates are October 30 and October 31 with registration on the eve of October 29th. We are excited about creating a TOC bid tournament near the nation's capitol. Registration will be open at the Joy of Tournaments in early August!

Last year we attracted outstanding competition from 5 states and this year we are expecting many more states! We had teams from Carrollton School of the Sacred Heart, Edgemont, Lakeland, McDonogh and many others. We had several teams that made the TOCs and one that advanced to Quarterfinals. We hope to have your school be part of the growth of this tournament.

We will offer Varsity competition in Policy Debate, Lincoln Douglas Debate, and Public Forum debate. There will be 6 preliminary debates and then the requisite amount of elimination debates based on the number of teams entered.

For policy debate, we will be offering preferential judging and we do invest in hiring an exceptional judge pool to make this a high quality TOC tournament.

As we did last year, we are committed to providing outstanding hospitality for the coaches to make your stay enjoyable. We will provide all meals for all coaches and judges throughout the weekend including our international luncheon on Saturday. We hope that you consider adding this tournament to your fall travel schedule!

For those flying in, we are only 15 minutes away from BWI (a major Southwest Hub) and we would be glad to pick you up at the airport. Come in a day early and enjoy touring Washington DC or Baltimore's Inner Harbor.

Capitol Debate is partnering with the Howard County Public School System in bringing this tournament to you. Centennial High School in Ellicott City, Maryland will play host to our Fourth Annual Capitol Debate tournament. The Capitol Debate Tournament will rotate to different schools in Howard County every year.

If you have any questions or if there is any way that we can help make this happen for your school, please feel free to call me at 443 538 4992.

Registration will be open at Joy of Tournaments in early August.

We look forward to seeing you in the fall!

• Downvote 2

Ron, as the date nears, please let me know if you need assistance. I would love to help if my class schedule permits.

• Downvote 1

First of all, the tourney hasn't been awarded a bid - the bid list won't be out until later this month for August. So any speculation about a bid at this point seems a bit premature.

Second, my guess is that this tourney, if it receives a bid, would get one at finals same as Pennsbury, etc. Looking at it historically, that is where it seems to start with bids, and then as the tourney grows the levels change. But, we'll have to see.

Just my guess based on history.

• Downvote 1

Second, my guess is that this tourney, if it receives a bid, would get one at finals same as Pennsbury, etc. Looking at it historically, that is where it seems to start with bids, and then as the tourney grows the levels change. But, we'll have to see.

I'm surprised to see that Blue Key only managed a Finals bid in Policy and L-D, but managed Quarterfinals in Congress and Octafinals in Public Forum. I guess it's smaller in Policy.

I'm surprised to see that Blue Key only managed a Finals bid in Policy and L-D, but managed Quarterfinals in Congress and Octafinals in Public Forum. I guess it's smaller in Policy.

The size/quality of events at a tournament aren't necessarily related, nor are the TOC committees looking at the same distribution of bids when evaluating a tournament.

• Downvote 1

Jeff, can you shed some light on the bid process? I mean - for instance, Broad Run will probably draw teams from 5 states this year, which fulfills one requirement. What are the others? Duane

Jeff, can you shed some light on the bid process? I mean - for instance, Broad Run will probably draw teams from 5 states this year, which fulfills one requirement. What are the others? Duane

LOL. BRI being a bid tournament?

Thats just too good.

Moe. No BRI will not be a bid tourney. I'm trying to figure out thought what the process is for making a tourney a bid tourney. I know that one of the criteria is you need teams from at least 5 states...what comes next is what I'm trying to figure out.

Moe. No BRI will not be a bid tourney. I'm trying to figure out thought what the process is for making a tourney a bid tourney. I know that one of the criteria is you need teams from at least 5 states...what comes next is what I'm trying to figure out.

ahh ok. well good luck with that!

That's the link I would have sent you. There is no specific "process" or "requirements" - the committee does its best to find out what tournaments are out there and assess the quality and diversity of competition and the proximity (in time and location) to other bid tournaments. They also consider areas with much more competition than bid opportunities, and such things, as I understand it.

This is all second-hand information, I am not on the committee nor have I had detailed conversations about how they find tournaments with anyone who is. If a tournament thinks it deserves a bid, the tournament director should write a letter to the committee, as their website now says (they've done an admirable job of being more transparent in the last year or so).

Moe and Jeff..thanksfor the information. Looks like we'll ahve some work to do at Broad Run before broaching this subject. Thanks, Duane

Registration for the Capitol Debate Fall Classic will close this Friday, October 23rd. The tournament has seen tremendous growth with 72 teams already registered from 8 states: Florida (Carrollton School of the Sacred Heart), Alabama (Mt. Brook coming Independent as Sweet Home Alabama), Virginia, Pennsylvania, D.C., New York (including Bronx Science, Lakeland, Edgemont, Beacon), New Hampshire, New Jersey, and Maryland.

Thanks to all who participated and made this year's Capitol Debate Fall Classic better than ever! We had excellent competition with 32 schools representing 8 states. A special "thank you" goes out to our furthest travelers coming from Florida, New Hampshire and Alabama. We hope you, and everyone else, enjoyed our Maryland-style hospitality!

Congratulations to our 2010 Capitol Debate Fall Classic Champions...

Policy Debate: McDonogh GM - Sukhi Gulati & Vibav Mouli

Lincoln Douglas Debate: Newark Science NR - Norberto Romero

Public Forum Debate: Reservoir SS - Joe & Jon Smith

For complete tournament results including Elimination Round Brackets, Tournament Packets and Ballot Downloads, please visit our Joy of Tournaments page.

Also, please visit the Capitol Debate Blogspot page which will soon feature links to videos from the Capitol Debate Fall Classic including the Finals of both PF and Policy Debate.

Once again, thanks to everyone who participated and all those who pitched in their efforts to make this year's tournament great. It was an honor and a privilege to host you all and we look forward to seeing you all again next year -- with any luck it'll be for a ToC bid in 2011!

--

Joshua Weingarten

Administrative & Technology Director

Capitol Debate

443-538-0203

Josh[at]Capitol-Debate[dot]com