Chaos

K's for dummies

How do I make kritiks easy to understand for judges who don't read much of the literature or who don't like listening to kritiks?

• Downvote 1

I don't believe there is a specific way to go about explaining a kritik to a judge who does not read kritikal literature. I'd say your best bet is to get familiar enough with the literature that your comfortable enough to explain it to an average joe.

Well what K are you running?

Like it truthfully depends on what K it is and if it's a good "mommy" K or a bad "mommy" K.

Like running D&G - baddd. Running an understandable K, okay.

The debate (as I've seen K debaters debate them) go like this

1AC - the 1AC. Hopefully this will give you your link and or you can set up your link in CX.

[Gonna make a split here]

1NC - your 1NC. If it's one-off, be prepared for CX if your K is really weird or something they haven't hit before.

2AC - Team is going to make responses to your 1NC, hopefully stuff you've heard before and have pre-written blocks out to.

The Block - Answer the 2AC, tell the story of the Kritik. Go through all the parts of your Kritik, extend them, explain what they mean. Tell a story of how the 1AC is evil and bad, while the K fixes all of your problems. Also, if you have lingo in your 1NC, EXPLAIN what the fuck it means, in plain English. Don't say they are trying to fill the Lack, explain that we all have a "hole" inside of us and we try to fill that hole with different things, et cetera.

1AR -if the Aff has an idea what the K is saying now (or they had before), they're going to respond to your 13 minutes of you telling the judge why the aff plan is evil in plain English rather than gibberish, which makes it harder.

2NR Answer any args the 1AR dropped / undercovered and take advantage of that, but make sure you stick to your story, don't go back to gibberish. Tell the story one more time, condensed, as a final wrap up where no matter what the 2AR says, you have to win. By the 2NR, the story should be crystal clear. The judge should know exactly what's going on, and they should be able to almost explain it themselves.

2AR 2AR, gonna respond to the 2NR.

If it's a 6 off and case type strat, then the Aff is just gonna be more time-pressured. You will be too, so make sure you still give yourself time to EXPLAIN the K. Even if you're kicking their ass on the flow, if the judge doesn't get it, they probably won't vote for it.

tl;dr: Make the K clear to judge in plain English, tell the story of the 1NC.

Like running D&G - baddd. Running an understandable K, okay.

D&G isn't necessarily a bad idea, depending on how you run it. If you frame it as more of just a securitization K (probably using some of the Seem cards from the intro to Anti-Oedipus), you can use Star Wars as an analogy. Like, the CIS started killing shit, and the Republic got scared, so they elected Palpatine and cheered when he declared himself Emperor (also because of the fear of the Jedi going crazy and stuff). Then the Rebels came around and they were nomad-y. And you can fit stuff about lines of flight, the war machine, etc. At any rate, you can sort of run D&G.

I'm planning on using a river analogy to explain flows and becoming. "You can never cross the same river twice". Stuff like that should work, yes?

• Downvote 2

One thing that you really need to do is explain the role of the ballot

D&G isn't necessarily a bad idea, depending on how you run it. If you frame it as more of just a securitization K (probably using some of the Seem cards from the intro to Anti-Oedipus), you can use Star Wars as an analogy. Like, the CIS started killing shit, and the Republic got scared, so they elected Palpatine and cheered when he declared himself Emperor (also because of the fear of the Jedi going crazy and stuff). Then the Rebels came around and they were nomad-y. And you can fit stuff about lines of flight, the war machine, etc. At any rate, you can sort of run D&G.

True enough. But gibberish D&G or Lacan are probably not the best.

@rhizome: the outcome is likely gonna be the same, not gonna vote on it.

@the hutt: most likely the best option, just don't run the K and suck it up.

I mean, mommy judge won't get it and will probably side with the Aff because the aff "makes sense" and they'll probably buy "Ks are cheating judge!"

Judges that don't like the K will probably already be biased against the K, meaning framework would be a lot easier to win if personal preferences are still involved.

I don't think that's true - people that hate k's have a MUCH different view of K's than a bus driver or mom/dad type judge which WILL listen (and is dependent on you just explaining stuff to them). Remember - just say 'solvency' is confusing as well....

I don't think that's true - people that hate k's have a MUCH different view of K's than a bus driver or mom/dad type judge which WILL listen (and is dependent on you just explaining stuff to them). Remember - just say 'solvency' is confusing as well....

I am a bad troll. Instead of having mods delete my post, you all will read how bad of a troll I am.

Bad troll, bad troll

whatcha gonna do

whatcha gonna do

when the mods decide to ban you

Edited by Rhizome

How bout when you kids get a judge who doesn't like the k you don't run the k. Savvy?

This is the best advice on this thread.

If the judge wants a spending disad and five minutes of case turns, your 1NC should probably be a spending disad and five minutes of case turns.

OK. Thanks everyone.

I am a bad troll. Instead of having mods delete my post, you all will read how bad of a troll I am.

Bad troll, bad troll

whatcha gonna do

whatcha gonna do

when the mods decide to ban you

Excellent use of mod powers. Made me laugh.

• Downvote 1

True enough. But gibberish D&G or Lacan are probably not the best.

@rhizome: the outcome is likely gonna be the same, not gonna vote on it.

@the hutt: most likely the best option, just don't run the K and suck it up.

I mean, mommy judge won't get it and will probably side with the Aff because the aff "makes sense" and they'll probably buy "Ks are cheating judge!"

Judges that don't like the K will probably already be biased against the K, meaning framework would be a lot easier to win if personal preferences are still involved.

It really depends on their background. I'm not sure that Deleuze and Lacan are the best lay judge Ks-- you'll have a LOT of explaining of concepts to do, many which are fairly sophisticated and require an introduction into other authors (Freud, Marx, Nietzsche, Foucault, etc).

If you're going to run a K, I would suggest something like cap or some kind of reps K, since those two are fairly easy to explain.

Agree with Hutt - don't run them. Ask before the round if the judge will flow Ks or not.

I will not give NEG the round because of a K. In fact, it may force me to vote AFF because NEG is not clashing sufficiently. It is NEG's obligation to clash directly with the negative case.

K's reduce the quality of debate and are symptoms of a lazy, insecure, or incompetent NEG. Hopefully in 15 years, K's will be gone.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Agree with Hutt - don't run them. Ask before the round if the judge will flow Ks or not.

I will not give NEG the round because of a K. In fact, it may force me to vote AFF because NEG is not clashing sufficiently. It is NEG's obligation to clash directly with the negative case.

K's reduce the quality of debate and are symptoms of a lazy, insecure, or incompetent NEG. Hopefully in 15 years, K's will be gone.

I'm curious, why don't you like Ks? Because of the bullshit "all your truth claims are false" type stuff?

I mean, not liking Ks is one thing, but I want to know why you don't think Ks have any value in debate.

Get a couple intuitive wins on framework in cross examination on the nature of the ballot. (Louisville style teams are great at this).

Win framework. Don't be overly complicated about it.

KISS the rest of the debate. Maintaining clarity throughout is critical to maintaining the relationship & attention of the judge.

Pre-empt the 2ar's slime in the 2nr. It helps by very specifically isolating what was extended by the 1ar.

Be very clear to flag the places the affirmative links (ie evidence).

Be nice, but confident.

Eye contact and reasonable speed (you might even de-highlight parts of your evidence or just draw a slash or appropriate mark where you don't have to read)

Figure out what types of implications you want to articulate:

1) assumptions

2) representations

3) ethics/worldview

4) case turn

Use two phrases to your advantage:

1) They will say

2) Even if they win "x"....we will win because (or even if we lose "x"....we will win because...)

Also these two phases may help:

1) thats interesting but irrelevant because

2) thats not our "X" (it helps if you can contrast the two)

Edited by nathan_debate