TheHutt

Q&A with Zizek/Baidou

I might be going to a debate between Zizek and Badiou this Friday so if you have any questions you want to ask either of them I'd be happy to try and pass those along and record their answers for you. Just post them here.

Edited by TheHutt

a serious question: why does zizek (in his book 'organs without bodies') side with deleuze against badiou on the topic of the one versus the multiple as the primary ontological condition, and why doesn't this alter his negative characterization of deleuzian politics as essentially the multiplication of hybrid identities? or for badiou, does he still view deleuze and guattari as essentially kantian traitors to the revolutionary party (as he claimed in his 'the flux and the party')?

or a not-so serious question: would zizek agree to go on the colbert report? - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2246377316

Edited by Lazzarone

Where is this debate going to be at? And I am broadly interested in their views about animals, humanism, and anthropocentrism. Neither have spoken a great deal on these issues, and I could work up more specific questions if you were interested.

Where is this debate going to be at? And I am broadly interested in their views about animals, humanism, and anthropocentrism. Neither have spoken a great deal on these issues, and I could work up more specific questions if you were interested.

Zizek had a little blurb on animals in his article for IJBS-- http://www.ubishops.ca/baudrillardstudies/vol5_1/v5-1-article3-zizek.html

Hey Shree, yeah, I've seen that before (I got the citation from a card in a debate round, maybe even one you were participating in?), but it's not exactly, well, coherent. There is also this rather funny famous video of Zizek on vegetarians

Hey Shree, yeah, I've seen that before (I got the citation from a card in a debate round, maybe even one you were participating in?), but it's not exactly, well, coherent. There is also this rather funny famous video of Zizek on vegetarians

Huh, that's the first time I've seen that video. Nice.

I don't think we read that article as a card--we haven't really ever read Zizek in a round. Rochester maybe?

It's going to be at UCLA. Per this page it'll be a debate/discussion on "[Richard] Wagner's revolutionary ideas (both musical and political) and their place in contemporary discussions of the relationship of art and politics."

If you have specific questions you want me to ask, keep in mind I probably won't be familiar with the literature so try to minimize ambiguity.

oh cool, good segue, Wagner supported vegetarianism, (though it seems he was never a practicing one). Nietzsche famously flirted with vegetarianism because of Wagner (see Ecce Homo). So, if you can fit that into a question about their feelings on vegetarianism/animal rights, I'd be mightily grateful.

Sorry guys, there wasn't any time for me to ask a question. But, I did get my picture taken with Zizek and had him and Badiou sign my laptop, so it's all gravy.