TheScuSpeaks

TV shows 09-10

What is your favorite shows? Most disappointed shows?

For me, Community was by far my favorite thing that happened this season. The acting and script were remarkably funny and delightful. The constant movie references were funny without being annoying. I worry about the trend of this show long term, but a stunning first season. Streets ahead, easily.

Treme has so far been amazing, a satisfactory project after The Wire.

This was the season I've given up on watching Family Guy. Just can't do it, anymore. And the few episodes of the Cleveland show I saw were even worse.

I like the cyber-noir aspects of Caprica, but the show was 50-50. I have my doubts about watching the second season.

I liked V as a paranoid reaction to Obama. But then it seems it isn't, and the lack of pacing, acting, well done scripts, sort of doomed the show for me.

I have other feelings, I am sure.

• Upvote 1

I have to second you on Community. Just a fantastic new show, and I'm glad to see that it's settling in successfully. I think it's interesting to see a program take an honest look at the universality of failure, and why it's ok to fuck up, which, to me, is what the show is about on the larger level. It's also just really, really funny. As a nice bonus, all of the characters, while certainly caricatures, are much more human than many of the folks on TV.

Archer was another show I enjoyed quite a bit while it was on, and I'm glad that FX has decided to bring it back for a second season despite the ratings it got. There's something really fun about the Office-meets-James Bond-meets-Arrested Development (and it's not just because of the voicework that AD alums Jeffrey Tambor, Jessica Walter, and Judy Greer put-in that I draw this particular comparison). The creator's earlier work on Adult Swim's Frisky Dingo hinted at this, but it's really come to fruition with Archer. At it's best, Archer achieves the type of frenetic, farcical pace combined with sheer wit that made Arrested Development the best TV show of the last ten years. I doesn't hurt that H. Jon Benjamin has been deserving of a star vehicle for quite sometime.

I had high hopes for Modern Family. There was a lot of hype for this one, with quite a few folks hailing it as the rightful heir to the Arrested Development throne. In that respect, the show failed, though I doubt any show could deal with that kind of build-up and compare favorably upon review. I'm not saying it was a bad show, I'm just saying it's a different kind of show than the one it was billed as being. It's not as funny as either Archer or Community and certainly not as engaging or personal (for me, anyway) as the latter of those two.

I know the following aren't new shows, but I'm really excited for the return of WeedsT (since I plowed through the first five seasons in a bout a week over Netflix streaming earlier this semester), especially given the ridiculous close the show gave us last season with Shane's, uh... mallet work.

I'm also excited to see what happens in the trashy, violent, sexy world of True Blood. Yes, I'm aware that sentence was incredibly lame, and yes, I'm well aware that the show is campy as all hell, but I'm really genuinely amused by this one. It clearly hasn't developed as the type of modern day Queer/Civil Rights parable that Alan Ball envisioned it as, but it does some of this perfunctory legwork, and manages to be just absolutely ridiculous entertainment. As pulp goes, it's pretty good. Violence and gratuitous sex are what Vampires are all about, and it's why this show just kicks the shit out of similar vampire fare like, oh, Twilight.

Just some thoughts.

To be sure, though, Community was my favorite new show this season.

I have to second you on Community. Just a fantastic new show, and I'm glad to see that it's settling in successfully. I think it's interesting to see a program take an honest look at the universality of failure, and why it's ok to fuck up, which, to me, is what the show is about on the larger level. It's also just really, really funny. As a nice bonus, all of the characters, while certainly caricatures, are much more human than many of the folks on TV.

Archer was another show I enjoyed quite a bit while it was on, and I'm glad that FX has decided to bring it back for a second season despite the ratings it got. There's something really fun about the Office-meets-James Bond-meets-Arrested Development (and it's not just because of the voicework that AD alums Jeffrey Tambor, Jessica Walter, and Judy Greer put-in that I draw this particular comparison). The creator's earlier work on Adult Swim's Frisky Dingo hinted at this, but it's really come to fruition with Archer. At it's best, Archer achieves the type of frenetic, farcical pace combined with sheer wit that made Arrested Development the best TV show of the last ten years. I doesn't hurt that H. Jon Benjamin has been deserving of a star vehicle for quite sometime.

I had high hopes for Modern Family. There was a lot of hype for this one, with quite a few folks hailing it as the rightful heir to the Arrested Development throne. In that respect, the show failed, though I doubt any show could deal with that kind of build-up and compare favorably upon review. I'm not saying it was a bad show, I'm just saying it's a different kind of show than the one it was billed as being. It's not as funny as either Archer or Community and certainly not as engaging or personal (for me, anyway) as the latter of those two.

I know the following aren't new shows, but I'm really excited for the return of WeedsT (since I plowed through the first five seasons in a bout a week over Netflix streaming earlier this semester), especially given the ridiculous close the show gave us last season with Shane's, uh... mallet work.

I'm also excited to see what happens in the trashy, violent, sexy world of True Blood. Yes, I'm aware that sentence was incredibly lame, and yes, I'm well aware that the show is campy as all hell, but I'm really genuinely amused by this one. It clearly hasn't developed as the type of modern day Queer/Civil Rights parable that Alan Ball envisioned it as, but it does some of this perfunctory legwork, and manages to be just absolutely ridiculous entertainment. As pulp goes, it's pretty good. Violence and gratuitous sex are what Vampires are all about, and it's why this show just kicks the shit out of similar vampire fare like, oh, Twilight.

Just some thoughts.

To be sure, though, Community was my favorite new show this season.

The problem with True Blood going for the Vampires = Gays analogy is that in the show, a lot of vampires pose a great threat to humanity/society.

That was one of the biggest problems I had as well. It seemed that it was Ball's focus from the get go, though. I don't really know what happened, but I'm happy with the way the show turned out.

I used to be a big fan of The Boondocks, but, like you, I haven't paid much attention this season. I really did love the season premiere, though. This past weekend's episode was also alright. I'm just not much for the anime-ish stuff the show gets into sometimes. I'd really rather them stick to race/satire.

I truly enjoy Nurse Jackie, a summer series on Showtime. I'm not sure if it counts as "this year" as we have now begun the second summer season. The idea of a drug-addict nurse who tries to juggle a very complicated life is very involving. This new season, all her lies are coming back to bite her in the backside.

i also look foward to the return of Royal Pains. I'm not usually a medical-show affecianado, but I have been really impressed by these two shows.

Disappointments: the final season of Lost.

Favorite new show of this "season" would have to be Justifed, i was always a big fan of FX original programming but the last couple of shows have proven to be a real disappointment (The Riches, Damages, and Sons of Anarchy). Archer is also something ive enjoyed.

Community is definitely a close second. I also have to second Nurse Jackie. These are the "new" shows that ive really enjoyed.

Things im looking forward to: WEEDS!!! i also watched the entire series on netflix in like a weed, this is the show im most looking forward to. Royal Pains ive really started to get into USA original programming (Burn Notice , IPS) and this is by far their best show in my opinion. Dexter, after a mind fuck of a season finale (which in my opinion was even crazier/better than the weeds finale) im super excited to see what season 5 has to offer. Californication, just a great show in my opinion. Showtime has some pretty great shows i still dont have a subscription but streaming over the internet will have to do for now.

Disappointments: 30 Rock, The Office (im a HUGE fan of the office and would still watch old episodes on netflix than watch half the shit thats on now but his season proved to be disappointing to me) The Boondocks, Family Guy

Other things: I really cant categorize True Blood in any of the above because i just have really lost touch with it i was a big fan at the beginning but i just stopped watching its not that the programming was bad its more that i lost my HBO subscription and i was to lazy to get on to Sidereel/Yidio to catch up, i will probably try to catch up before the new season.

my two cents

Okay, I have to watch Justified at some point.

Archer was pretty funny. I look forward to more episodes.

30 Rock was very disappointing, worse season so far. I actually thought The Office was getting better this season. Well, it was giving me hope that it was getting better.

I consistently liked Parks & Rec, though I know no one else feels that way. It's not community good, or early office good, but I've enjoyed it.

And while I recognize that this show doesn't have an original bone in its body, The Mentalist has also had a good, very enjoyable season.

True Blood, amazing as always. Looking forward to the new season.

I stopped watching Weeds after season three or four. And I doubt I will keep watching Dexter after this last season. Though I might give it one more chance (though talking about a show with a great first season that has never been able to reproduce it).

i love parks and rec

the only 'cable' shows i watch are cooking shows on hulu. i know, i have to see the wire (pre-emptive).

I watch way too much TV, but I was content with NBC's Thursday night lineup (I watch all 4 shows). The 2 new shows I really enjoyed were FlashForward and Sons of Tucson, for it's brief run.

I suppose I should put ESPN's 30 for 30 series in there too. Those are awesome

Ugly Americans was surprisingly hilarious to me. Worth a watch.

I expected the Cleveland Show to be terrible. I gave it a shot for the first half of the season. Not something I'd regularly tune in to, but a solid B-minus/C-plus. Exceeded all my low expectations.

Family Guy has been up and down this season. I love focusing on Stewie/Brian, but the bank vault episode was just weird and gross. Love the Star Wars takeoffs for their obsessive attention to detail, even though Robot Chicken was unquestionably funnier.

Deadliest Warrior tops them all as my new favorite show, though. Mythbusters on goddamn steroids.

• Upvote 1

The Boondocks is brilliant as always. I don't understand the criticism it's been given this season. There's this community feeling of "it's changed," but it hasn't. I watched the first and second seasons the week before the new season started; it's the exact same show, with the same satirical content.

The Boondocks is brilliant as always. I don't understand the criticism it's been given this season. There's this community feeling of "it's changed," but it hasn't. I watched the first and second seasons the week before the new season started; it's the exact same show, with the same satirical content.

. qfa

I almost forgot one of my favorite addictions: White Collar. Ooooohhhh, Neil Caffrey! Snappy scripts and great eye candy.

Is this thread about new shows? If so, Community was great.

Treme is awesome.

For renewing shows, Breaking Bad has been pretty good this year. Definitely not as dramatic as the second or as intense as the first, but overall it's still my favorite show to watch. The first season was unlike anything I've ever seen on TV. They killed 2 people in that season. I predict Walt will kill Jesse at the end of this season.

It's about all shows.

And I've seen the first couple of episodes of justified now, thanks for the suggestion. I've been enjoying it.

Also, Treme is amazing. If you like The Wire, and you like jazz music, you'll love it.

The office and desperate housewives hit a decline this year. As did family guy and gossip girl.

American Dad and Parks and Rec have hit their strides.

30 Rock is still the MVP funniest thing on Network television

Community was Rookie of the Year. The Middle was a nice surprise. Modern Family and Glee are fun but nowhere as good as everyone says they are. Glee is hit or miss some weeks, depending on the music they sing.

Heroes was rightfully put out to pasture. Top Model needs to be there.

I'm only going to be talking about new shows:

Modern Family and Community are probably the two best. For any of you who don't like Modern Family, I don't know what your problem is, the show is fucking hilarious. Community is fantastic.

I like watching Glee, but it suffered with some "24" like problems. The pilot was amazing, and so were some early episodes, but both the plot and performances got a little boring somewhere in the middle...but then came the mid-season finale, which was also amazing. Hopefully the show can end on another high in a few weeks. With all of its problems I still enjoy coming home from the bar and watching it before going to bed.

FlashForward started off being very interesting, then it just got boring for the longest time. I couldn't even watch every episode, and when it was announced it wouldn't get picked up for next season, I didn't feel sad. Interesting ending though.

Parenthood is ok. The acting is actually really good, and the plot is ok enough that at some point during the week I'll watch it on Hulu.

Non-new shows I like, and watch every week: How I Met Your Mother, 24 (glad it's over), Chuck (seriously, I don't get how anyone could not love this show), It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, NBC's Thursday Night Lineup, The Simpsons (still funny to me), South Park, Heroes (jesus, way to end the show in a totally boring manner).

Edited by Bruce Willis