gopal

South Africa 2010

pretty tired of hearing about how the US should be proud of their performance and how they really accomplished something. what did they accomplish? They won their group, ok. They were a minute away from finishing last in the group, and then lost to a Ghana team that was playing without their best player.

The time for moral victories was 1994. They had a really easy group this year, and then a great setup to advance. they failed again. a relatively soft goal from Howard and Findlay and Altidore not being able to finish wonderful opportunities.

the story shouldnt be "what heart and courage", it should be "two straight cups where we under achieved". and just think about what kind of disaster we would be talking about if Englands goalie wouldnt have messed up and the US would have just lost that game

If it wasn't for a miracle run in 2002, it would be clear just how far American soccer has come. We're still growing as a soccer nation. We had the talent level of New Zealand about 20 years ago. Now we're a top 15-20 team in the world. By 2022 (when we're rumored to be the frontrunners to host the World Cup) we should be able to make a much deeper run.

And Rob Green's mistake really meant nothing at the end of the day. We still would have advanced, we just would have lost to Germany instead of Ghana.

If it wasn't for a miracle run in 2002, it would be clear just how far American soccer has come. We're still growing as a soccer nation. We had the talent level of New Zealand about 20 years ago. Now we're a top 15-20 team in the world. By 2022 (when we're rumored to be the frontrunners to host the World Cup) we should be able to make a much deeper run.

And Rob Green's mistake really meant nothing at the end of the day. We still would have advanced, we just would have lost to Germany instead of Ghana.

but thats the point: we shouldnt have lost to Ghana. we were in a wonderful situation that will not happen for a long time. We had a chance to play the 16-20th best teams in the world for a shot at the world cup semifinals, and we blew it. im not holding my head up high about it. they were given a gift against england and failed to take advantage against Slovenia (a team that they never should have fallen behind two goals against, whatever the end result of the game should have been) and needed heroics to beat Algeria.

and saying itll all be better three world cups from now doesnt make it better. rationalizing mediocrity is still rationalizing mediocrity

Anyone else notice how similar Argentina is in this years world cup to the Jamaican bobsled team in Cool Runnings? Both have coaches that are well past their prime and consume way too much alcohol and can attribute a lot of their success to cheating. Coach Irv put weights in his bobsled, and Maradonna had his famous Hand of God goal. Its questionable as to whether either of them really knew what they were doing and both the Jamaicans and Argentineans rely on their unbelievable talent more than honed skill.

and with Argentina, everything is going great but you have to feel like the wheels will fall off at some point

Anyone else notice how similar Argentina is in this years world cup to the Jamaican bobsled team in Cool Runnings? Both have coaches that are well past their prime and consume way too much alcohol and can attribute a lot of their success to cheating. Coach Irv put weights in his bobsled, and Maradonna had his famous Hand of God goal. Its questionable as to whether either of them really knew what they were doing and both the Jamaicans and Argentineans rely on their unbelievable talent more than honed skill.

and with Argentina, everything is going great but you have to feel like the wheels will fall off at some point

"raw talent" - have you seen cool runnings? i have more bobsledding "talent" than those rastafaris

but thats the point: we shouldnt have lost to Ghana. we were in a wonderful situation that will not happen for a long time. We had a chance to play the 16-20th best teams in the world for a shot at the world cup semifinals, and we blew it. im not holding my head up high about it. they were given a gift against england and failed to take advantage against Slovenia (a team that they never should have fallen behind two goals against, whatever the end result of the game should have been) and needed heroics to beat Algeria.

and saying itll all be better three world cups from now doesnt make it better. rationalizing mediocrity is still rationalizing mediocrity

aren't these all reasons we should have lost to ghana?

Hand of God = "a lot of [his] success"?

aren't these all reasons we should have lost to ghana?

my point is that soccer fans want it both ways. the months before the tournament we hear about how great team USA is and how this is the time we put it together and that team USA has a history of overachieving. and then when they underperform like they have the past two cups we are told that we should be proud of the team and they had a wonderful run and that they should be commended and nothing was really expected anyways and that next time (or in gopals case, three times from now) we will be ready to really compete.

Hand of God = "a lot of [his] success"?

I love Maradona. Got kicked out of the 94 world cup for ephedrine and stuck around as a tv commentator. No shame in that man.

my point is that soccer fans want it both ways. the months before the tournament we hear about how great team USA is and how this is the time we put it together and that team USA has a history of overachieving. and then when they underperform like they have the past two cups we are told that we should be proud of the team and they had a wonderful run and that they should be commended and nothing was really expected anyways and that next time (or in gopals case, three times from now) we will be ready to really compete.

We did perform about to our expectations. We expected to get out of the group and anything past that was gravy. Ghana really isn't a bad team at all. That's a 50-50 game between 2 evenly matched teams.

Right now America is mid-major basketball. You root like hell for them but you know the run has to end at some point. 20 years ago we were the bottom feeders in low-major ball. I expect us to compete in the next few cups and get out of the group every time with the quarterfinals being a goal. But we're not talented enough to expect to win a title now. 2022 is a reasonable goal to finally break into the upper tier of international soccer and compete to win the tournament. I mean only 7 teams have ever won the thing... and Uruguay last won it in 1950, England's was in 1966 and was aided both by a bad call and being at home, and the French only won one on home soil. It takes a lot to get there.

Holding an actual lead for 3 out of about 400 combined minutes of play cannot possibly be mistaken for "performing to expectations."

Holding an actual lead for 3 out of about 400 combined minutes of play cannot possibly be mistaken for "performing to expectations."

How about winning the group for the first time since 1930?

how about you're ignoring the part where they held a lead for 3 minutes of an entire tournament, hell the 2008 lions held leads longer than that. right dave mauch?

The 2008 patriots lead for 98% of their games which is why they finished undefea.....oh, wait.

Soccer isn't like football or basketball chris. With that being said, who gives a fuck if we lead for only 3 minutes or for the entire 400 minutes, advancing is advancing is advancing. Just ask the 2008 giants :)

The 2008 patriots lead for 98% of their games which is why they finished undefea.....oh, wait.

niiice

Soccer isn't like football or basketball chris. With that being said, who gives a fuck about soccer

damn good point fergy

Ghana absolutely deserved it after their time-wasting and flop fest against the US.

Would you say Suarez cheated by using his hands or was he just using the rules to his advantage?

• Upvote 1

I love how soccer allows you to deliberately cheat, get caught, and the result is actually an advantage for the cheating team. No hand ball = goal. Hand ball = a chance to stay in the game. Go Uruguay!

Suarez did what he was supposed to do. You keep that ball out of the back of the net no matter what it takes and give your team at least some chance to advance. Suarez is the hero of this match. And he won me a lot of money so I really cant complain at all.

I love how soccer allows you to deliberately cheat, get caught, and the result is actually an advantage for the cheating team. No hand ball = goal. Hand ball = a chance to stay in the game. Go Uruguay!

I agree entirely. Imagine if a basketball team employed a strategy where they fouled people ON PURPOSE! How terrible would that be?

It's always about brazil, bro

brazil is pwning as of now, I'm so pro

Yes, like fouling to stop time in basketball which happens 90% of games.

Yeah that's totally the same situation, thanks for proving my point with your incredibly weak example.

If you could goal tend in basketball, and the points didn't count, but you had to have Shaq take the free throws, that would be the same situation. Even if you foul in basketball and the player still makes the basket, the points still count.

Come on, get your head out of your ass.

Yeah that's totally the same situation, thanks for proving my point with your incredibly weak example.

If you could goal tend in basketball, and the points didn't count, but you had to have Shaq take the free throws, that would be the same situation. Even if you foul in basketball and the player still makes the basket, the points still count.

Except there isn't a red card in basketball and you get to play for the rest of the game and the next one.

If a guy is streaking by you for a bucket and you foul him do they give him 2 points or do they make him earn it from the line? And please. Gyan is a fantastic penalty taker. It would be like Reggie Miller taking that FT.

Its an 80%+ chance he makes it. couple inches lower and its a goal. The uruaguay player was smart and his reactions were pheneomanal to use his hands in a sport where you try and avoid it. Even if you look at todays game the defender for Paraguay just watched Villa's ball go in.