Studley Dudley

Topic Area-Immigration.

Immigration beat Treaties by one vote.

Nail-bitingly close. Immigration was my second choice, but I bet it'll be a sweet topic.

And when Immigration Reform passes half way through the year?

It will be exactly like what happened when the NPR passed half way through the year.

It will be exactly like what happened when the NPR passed half way through the year.

So it won't happen?

• Downvote 1

Interesting that the original nuclear weapons topic paper listed the NPR (originally supposed to come out in January) as evidence of the "timeliness" of the topic (remember "policy windows", "watershed moment", etc.)

Looking back, had the NPR come out any earlier it could have been a significant headache. I'd say most would also agree that it was a little silly that debates towards the later half of the year were often ones in which the CP (do the plan through the NPR) was the most logical, real world option for how nuclear posture changes would have occurred at the time.

• Upvote 1

also, the status quo is kind of going the opposite way of the topic isn't it? I'm not that in-tune with the current immigration debate, but don't alot of dems and republicans want to make restrictions on immigrations tighter? (whereas the immigration topic paper advocates reducing restrictions on immigration) It could potentially mess-up some disad links but its not quite the same as Obama basically doing some people's affs in the NPR, which did end up happening after the season.

Treaties would've been cool, but is there really that much new lit on alot of the treaties that were proposed? I think the immigration topic has the benefit of a wide-variety of "timely" lit to be researched throughout the season. I was hoping it would win.

• Upvote 1

What is the proposed wording for the new resolution?

The wording hasn't come out yet-- I think they finish deliberating on that in July.

• Upvote 1

What is the proposed wording for the new resolution?

Kuswa did a lot of work on wordings in the topic paper. From what I remember, they seemed to want to limit it to something about asylum seekers and undocumented workers . . . but there were quite a few possibilities in the initial paper.

i'm freaking stoked about this topic.

• Upvote 1

don't alot of dems and republicans want to make restrictions on immigrations tighter? (whereas the immigration topic paper advocates reducing restrictions on immigration)
This is apples-and-oranges, a bit. Whether there should be increased efforts to combat illegal immigration (which is what the political debate in this country is mostly about) isn't the same thing as whether the U.S. should make legal immigration easier (which is what I think the focus of the topic is)...

As always, speculating is a fool's errand until the actual language of the rez is released. Never underestimate the ability of too many cooks to spoil the broth... ;)

• Downvote 1

As always, speculating is a fool's errand until the actual language of the rez is released. Never underestimate the ability of too many cooks to spoil the broth..

The college topic process is far, far better than high school.

And even without the resolution...."aff" research can become your next counterplan.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The college topic process is far, far better than high school.
It is certainly different. Whether it yields better outcomes depends upon your point of view...

BTW, can someone please explain to the nitwit who anonymously neg-repped me for my previous post that she/he needs to get a life? Thanks... :D

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

It is certainly different. Whether it yields better outcomes depends upon your point of view...

Focused topics good. Key to debate--key to in depth education. Key to not having 30+ case negs.

In other news, as far as I know the college topic hasn't had to be amended pre-season in the last 20 years. The 1990 space topic was forced to be amended to "beyond the earth's mesosphere"--which was ultimately a good decision--but proves a process that is comparatively lacking.

• Downvote 2

In other news, as far as I know the college topic hasn't had to be amended pre-season in the last 20 years.
This just in: I'm not criticizing the college topic process. I'm just saying its a little early in the process to be forming opinions about how good the topic will be...

And if you want to make fun of the HS topic process (a practice I engage in myself quite often), you don't have to go all the way back to 1990. How about 2006-07, when the topic that won in the balloting was thrown out and replaced with an entirely new wording... ;)

This just in: I'm not criticizing the college topic process. I'm just saying its a little early in the process to be forming opinions about how good the topic will be...

And if you want to make fun of the HS topic process (a practice I engage in myself quite often), you don't have to go all the way back to 1990. How about 2006-07, when the topic that won in the balloting was thrown out and replaced with an entirely new wording... ;)

Wait, THAT'S why my novice year was so shitty?

Screw ya'll.

Cp: Ban arizona. Pros- Racism/Immigration reps/etc. Cons - Arizona key to US economy.

• Downvote 1

How does the college topic process work, and is there a place where the topic is published? Is there a "cross-x" equivalent for college?

The slate of draft resolutions was released earlier this afternoon.

1. Resolved: the United States Federal Government should substantially increase the number of and/or substantially expand beneficiary eligibility for its visas for one or more of the following: employment-based immigrant visas, nonimmigrant temporary worker visas, family-based visas, human trafficking-based visas.

2. Resolved: the United States Federal Government should substantially increase the number of and/or substantially expand beneficiary eligibility for its visas in one or more of the following classes: H-1, H-2, employment-based immigrant E.

3. Resolved: the United States Federal Government should substantially increase its legal protection of unauthorized migrants in the United States in one or more of the following areas: immigration detention, removal, non-asylum legal status, eligibility for federal public benefits.

4. Resolved: the United States Federal Government should substantially reduce its statutory restrictions on asylum claims in the United States.

5. Resolved: the United States Federal Government should substantially reduce its restrictions in one or more of the following areas: non-asylum lawful permanent resident status or Medicaid for unauthorized migrants in the United States, statutory eligibility for gender-based asylum claims, the number of and/or beneficiary eligibility for H-1 or H-2 visas.