Jamie P

Big news from the Big Ten today...

I don't see it as any big surprise that they are saying an invite hasn't been extended. I am guessing that both parties involved are playing it as close to the chest as possible. We are talking millions of dollars in this deal, it isn't something they are going to take lightly.

You are right, nothing is official until the ink is dry, but I would place money on Nebraska joining the Big 10 at this point. It makes sense for the Big 10 to extend an official invite and even greater sense for Nebraska to accept. Honestly, I just want this conference realignment talk to end and football season to get here.

Sure glad they kept the BCS because of the tradition of the bowl games and didn't adopt a playoff system.

With Kansas and Missouri ending up in different conferences, that just might be the end of a great rivaly.

and while i was with rohan in suspecting the big ten might not offer nebraska, it now seems that they have?

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/06/09/10/Reports-Nebraska-to-Join-Big-Ten/landing.html?blockID=250141&feedID=3800

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1092612

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5268408

the interesting questions now are:

is the big ten really going to screw missouri? man i hope so--mizzou started all this i think, i have to admit it would be hilarious to see them left in the cold.

will the big ten stop at 12?

does this mean notre dame said no? if not, and they say yes too, doesn't that make the big ten the most awesome conference ever?

if only nebraska gets an invite from the big ten, does the big 12 south still go for the pac 16? if so, does that mean the big ten responds in kind and invites another 4 teams from missouri, rutgers, pitt, syracuse, etc. etc. as discussed already? or do they try to add something to the north like byu, who the MWC did NOT add earlier this week? or what else can the big 12 do to save itself? sub question: who wins the pac 16 sweepstakes: baylor or colorado? simultaneous props to baylor for straight up dissing colorado's athletics and academics, and having a great former debate coach involved in this all (karla leeper had an email floating around a few days ago) but thumbs down for dissing nebraska.

what will the big ten call itself?

what happens to kansas and missouri? i will feel bad for kansas basketball, but not for missouri anything. i literally don't care what happens to kansas state and iowa state.

any more interesting questions?

Edited by the Hamburgler

Kansas is gonna get left holding a bag of dicks. There's a better than 50-50 shot they become a mid-major in a few months.

Honestly, I just want this conference realignment talk to end and football season to get here.

Awesomest thing said in quite some time.

Awesomest thing said in quite some time.

I was thinking today and realized that Notre Dame joining would be awesome not because they add anything, but theyd be a great last day of the season rivalry game for MSU.

Colorado has vacated the big 12 for the Pac 10. The house of cards that is the Big 12 is crumbling, and quickly.

JP

So does this mean that there are essentially two seasons where the BigXII is still a conference? I mean, if schools have to give a two year notice before jumping ship, and all the schools leave that are expected to leave, the conference is dead. I realize the games for next year are set in stone and there is no changing that, any chance for the year after that?

Its this part of the whole realignment thing that confuses me.

lol at Mizzou. Remember that one time you thought you were gonna go to the Big 10 and threw up a middle finger to the other Big 12 schools? Hows that working for you?

So does this mean that there are essentially two seasons where the BigXII is still a conference? I mean, if schools have to give a two year notice before jumping ship, and all the schools leave that are expected to leave, the conference is dead. I realize the games for next year are set in stone and there is no changing that, any chance for the year after that?

Its this part of the whole realignment thing that confuses me.

A lot of businesses/organizations have a legal dissolution clause so I suppose "they" could try to invoke that, if one exists. But I don't know.

A lot of businesses/organizations have a legal dissolution clause so I suppose "they" could try to invoke that, if one exists. But I don't know.

It'll take a few years. Nebraska or Colorado @ KU is gonna be so much fun.

Well they could get it to happen by 11-12 instead 12-13 but that's not very likely.

OU to the SEC? Fuck that shit. PAC-10. That's where bobby wants us to go!

I just hope Texas doesnt go to the Big 10. As long as that doesnt happen, Maryland still has a chance to be all like

make-it-rain-guys.gif

The Horns and Aggies are big 10 bound (which makes NOOOOOOOO geographical sense) but inside reports are saying they are....god.

Fuck you big 10. Everything was perfectly fucking fine in terms of fucking confrences and now you are getting all cunt like because 'you don't get a title game'. It's your fucking fault for it - why take that out on different conferences...fucking get ND and be done with this shit.

The Horns and Aggies are big 10 bound (which makes NOOOOOOOO geographical sense) but inside reports are saying they are....god.

Fuck you big 10. Everything was perfectly fucking fine in terms of fucking confrences and now you are getting all cunt like because 'you don't get a title game'. It's your fucking fault for it - why take that out on different conferences...fucking get ND and be done with this shit.

And Orangebloods is still reporting that Texas to the Pac 10 is happening. And A&M is in talks with the SEC. No one knows whats gonna happen.

Regardless - Maryland won't be in the big 10 kiddo. Sorry :(

PS - I would like the see Maryland get into a little bit more competitive conference btw. They are one of my teams thats like ' I don't ever watch you or know anything about you but you've always seemed pretty cool. also, your mascot is cool' that I like.

Edited by Rhizome

You do realize you attend a big 10 school, you dumb fuck.

And Texas is the really hot girl you cant believe you got to sleep with you, until a few weeks later you realize shes a complete fucking nutcase, and you want nothing to do with her despite how attractive she is.

You do realize you attend a big 10 school, you dumb fuck.

hahahaha

And Texas is the really hot girl you cant believe you got to sleep with you, until a few weeks later you realize shes a complete fucking nutcase, and you want nothing to do with her despite how attractive she is.

YES. THIS IS EXACTLY CORRECT. THAT'S WHY THEY'RE NOT IN CONFERENS AWESOME

Yes i attend a big 10 school but i also attend a big 10 school that won't benefit at all from this (we are schedualed to play texas anyway in the future...2014??) and am generally pissed off at the idea of separating stable conferences.

Bring in The Irish - they add the 12th team into the picture without fucking up conferences. But now Colorado has bolted out. Fuck. I liked college football. Damn.

Regardless - Maryland won't be in the big 10 kiddo. Sorry :(

PS - I would like the see Maryland get into a little bit more competitive conference btw. They are one of my teams thats like ' I don't ever watch you or know anything about you but you've always seemed pretty cool. also, your mascot is cool' type times.

Not necessarily. There is some chatter from some well connected people that Maryland is actually getting a good look from the Big 10. Its pretty much only if they go to 16, but theres a chance. I just don't want to be stuck in the big east/acc conglomerate when this is all done. Because nothing says football season like a road trip to USF!

Remember that thing I just said about the Big East? Scratch that. Some big east guys in the area are now saying that KU, KState, Mizzou, and Iowa State are gonna be offered by the big east.

PS - I would like the see Maryland get into a little bit more competitive conference btw. They are one of my teams thats like ' I don't ever watch you or know anything about you but you've always seemed pretty cool. also, your mascot is cool' type times.

agreed. I'm a maryland fan and I'm not entirely sure why.

oh wait, it's because they beat duke at basketball each year and it's awesome.

Yes i attend a big 10 school but i also attend a big 10 school that won't benefit at all from this (we are schedualed to play texas anyway in the future...2014??) and am generally pissed off at the idea of separating stable conferences.

Bring in The Irish - they add the 12th team into the picture without fucking up conferences. But now Colorado has bolted out. Fuck. I liked college football. Damn.

There was nothing stable about the Big 12. It doesn't make a lot of money for its teams. Obviously if the conference was stable, leaving it wouldn't make any sense. But the fact that everyone wants to bolt at the first sign of a better deal tells you how unhappy the schools are with their situation. The only school who wants to stay is Texas because it has a sweet deal.

Four Big 10 schools are in the top 7 in population. Another three fall between 16-21. Iowa, the straggler, is 30th. By comparison, after Texas, the next most populous state in the Big 12 is Missouri coming in at 18th. Excluding Texas, the Big 12 population doesn't even match up to the Big 10's top two. End result? Less people, less money. And then share it unevenly? Who in their right mind is okay with that?

There is also nothing stable about the Big East. Its been teetering on the cusp of irrelevance for the last couple years. Losing three of its best programs to the ACC put a noose around its neck. Losing another major school = death. They can only bring up only so many mid-majors and still stay viable.

Edited by Ankur

ND won't budge as long as they have their deal with NBC. The Big 10 has tried to get ND before and they keep turning them down. Again, I echo what Ankur stated, the Big XII is hardley a stable conference. I would like to see your reasoning behind that statement.