egold

[RFD] [M] Round 294: [POVERTY] skirtsteak (aff) vs. egold (neg)

Like UCO backfile shitty. Like reading Spanos for the 9th year in a row shitty.

don't be a douche. they're good at spanos and if they can keep winning rounds that's their perogative

• Downvote 1

don't be a douche. they're good at spanos and if they can keep winning rounds that's their perogative

No. What an awful model of debate. Can you really respect a model of debate that discourages the production of new evidence? Can you really, with a straight face and good intentions, inform young debaters about that type of meta-strategy and hope for the best? As lazy as I am, and as certain as I am that I could be moderately successful with Deleuze and Guattari for the rest of my career without cutting a single card, I refuse to stop making fun of the lazy-K-debater-stereotype (no matter how true or untrue it is, that very joke has its merit). If you have respect for that model, I have pity for you.

Besides, first and foremost the backfile to be mocked is "give back the land" - what an atrocious non-argument. At least Spanos wrote a book in 2008 that someone had to cut.

Nothing against the UCO school in particular; more of a criticism of what their stereotype represents. The word "stereotype" is important - I have no idea how much work an individual debater does from any given squad, but I can certainly mock reputations.