thefrozenone

Stuttering

So, I'm a novice and I've been having this huge problem with stuttering. I know that the only way to remove the problem of stuttering is to speak slower and think everything out, but seriously - I want to be a fast and clear speaker, and stuttering fucks up both of those things for me.

Please help, I've tried pencil drills, the "and" drill, the backwards drill, and nothing seems to help.

*Note - If this thread needs to be moved/merged, please do so. I just put it here because "Help me..." makes sense for this.

Do you know what the source of your stuttering is? For some people, stuttering is a problem like poor enunciation that will go away with moderate practice (pen drills, speaking very slowly, reading passages in reverse, etc.). But other types are more serious and should be addressed by a speech pathologist or other professional.

So, I'm a novice and I've been having this huge problem with stuttering. I know that the only way to remove the problem of stuttering is to speak slower and think everything out, but seriously - I want to be a fast and clear speaker, and stuttering fucks up both of those things for me.

Please help, I've tried pencil drills, the "and" drill, the backwards drill, and nothing seems to help.

*Note - If this thread needs to be moved/merged, please do so. I just put it here because "Help me..." makes sense for this.

Take it slow. What seemingly starts fast will be even slower with less clarity when you stutter.

I had a similar problem until I learned to build up speed. Many times novices try to push the pedal to the metal and often stutter and trip over their words. Your voice doesn't quite work like a Lamborghini, it's more like a freight train. Start nice and slow and ramp up your speed and it should help.

I did this a lot when I first started CX. For me, I was thinking too much about what I was reading, and that would trip me up a lot. The key is to focus on not focusing (if that makes sense) and just learn to read without really thinking about what you're reading. It takes practice but it's doable.

if you're stuttering while reading evidence the best remedy, in my experience, is the backwards drill. it helps you stop trying to comprehend what you're reading and focuses you more on just getting the words out.

my speaking drill regimen (when i did them, which was rare) was 5 minutes of over articulation, 5 minutes of backwards, then 10 minutes full speed.

I believe the source of your frustration may rest in the type of drills you are doing. Speed is a natural product of speaking clearly. I strongly believe the only way to become a better speaker is by reading evidence in your normal voice, with normal but CLEAR articulation, and normal rhythm. Double breathing, stuttering, being incomprehensible - all of this is a product of "trying to go fast". If you speak as your normally would, and slowly try to speak quicker, you will notice your speaker points skyrocketing quickly. You should never sacrifice normal speaking patterns for speed.

In pragmatic terms, I suggest a simple drill: read a piece of evidence the way you would read a speech to a crowd. Then read it again, trying to shave off 10% of your time. Repeat until you feel you are where you want to be, speed wise. The trick is that you should instantly stop and repeat if you stutter, skip, or in any other way muddle the content of the card. Taking the time to make sure your evidence is crystal clear now will pay off in dividends later. The clearer you are, and the better you can speak a piece of evidence into being, the more speed will come naturally. As the quality of your voice improves, the quantity of your words/minute will improve naturally.

There is no point in doing the pen drill. There is no point in trying to get through a card quickly if you must distort your voice to do so. There is a reason Stephen Weil top spoke at the NDT: if you could write fast enough, you could flow every word he says. You should push yourself in that direction first and foremost, and the best way to do that is to slow yourself down.

You should also remember that the difference between conversational speed and "spreading" is much smaller than you would think. Time it yourself, but you really aren't getting out much more per minute. Speed is thoughts communicated per second: the amount of words it takes you to get there is secondary.

to recap:

1. read cards with inflection, the way you would in a public speech, then reread that evidence at a slightly quicker pace. Repeat until you're the best speaker on the planet.

2. clarity > speed, working on clarity solves stuttering

3. Stephen Weil = awesome - be like him.

• Upvote 2

I had a similar problem until I learned to build up speed. Many times novices try to push the pedal to the metal and often stutter and trip over their words. Your voice doesn't quite work like a Lamborghini, it's more like a freight train. Start nice and slow and ramp up your speed and it should help.

this.

And if you are worried about running out of time, work on your word economy. Especially with novices, people often tend to say more than they need to, making them redundant. If you are more efficient with what you say, you can still cover just as much while speaking more slowly.

I know it hurts to "have to go slow", but trust me. everyone else has said it as well, clarity>speed.

Better highlighting will also offset reductions in speed

Better highlighting will also offset reductions in speed

That's poor advice...there is never an incentive to not highlight cards efficiently.