Oscar the Grouch

Smartphones

I run Snow Leopard on Mac, and Linux on an old PC.

I still think that there won't be enough done to truly upgrade the iPhone's hardware, or software. I think with the release of the iPad you would have foreseen what upgrades would be done to the iPhone but there were any truly noticeable upgrades. However, if that leak was really true, and camera on the front is pretty chill.

I run Snow Leopard on Mac, and Linux on an old PC. .

i run snow leopard and ubuntu on my dell. can't get qe/ci support yet.

my take from following this stuff over the last month or so is that blackberry's (and the bold in particular) arent fancy but get the job done. I struggle with touch phones so the new track pad excites me, and email is essentially the most important thing im looking for. It sounds like the new blackberry 6.0 os will have a better browsing experience and i can be patient with that.

simplicity is pretty important to me, im sort of an 80 year old when it comes to technology.

i have a friend getting the incredible so if it blows him away maybe i would be swayed. The evo sounds sweet but i pretty much have to stick to verizon

I use an HTC Touch Pro branded for ATT as the Fuze. It's outdated now but I absolutely love it. I don't have a data plan though, so I can't get maximum utility out of it. It runs Windows Mobile, and can run Android if you don't mind the bluetooth and camera not working (for now).

And I would hold Android/WinMo phones as superior to the iPhone for a few reasons. First, customization. Sure, the iPhone has more apps and a little bit of flair, but winmo and android phones outclass in completely in terms of support and ability to mod the phone. Second, multitasking. I can read my email, text, and switch to an internet browser that was loading a page while the rest did its work. It really is invaluable.

I run Snow Leopard on Mac, and Linux on an old PC.

I still think that there won't be enough done to truly upgrade the iPhone's hardware, or software. I think with the release of the iPad you would have foreseen what upgrades would be done to the iPhone but there were any truly noticeable upgrades. However, if that leak was really true, and camera on the front is pretty chill.

Apple said it was their property, so one assumes it is legit.

http://gizmodo.com/5520479/a-letter-apple-wants-its-secret-iphone-back

Apple said it was their property, so one assumes it is legit.

http://gizmodo.com/5520479/a-letter-apple-wants-its-secret-iphone-back

I've been speculating: Is the "misplaced-in-a-bar 4G" a trial balloon staged by apple to gain attention and act as early advertising (I have a hard time imagining anyone would be that careless with the prototype for the next iPhone)? Or was it seriously lost by a noob?

Apple is suing Gizmodo and their parent company Gawker Media. There was a recent article in Lifehacker about the seizure of the Gizmodo editor's computers as equipment utilized in the commission of a felony. Gizmodo paid $5,000 for that prototype and claimed they didn't know it was stolen. I find it hard to believe it's a publicity student.

Both scenarios strike me as incredibly uncharacteristic of Apple. In the past, Steve Jobs and the Apple brass have been incredibly careful about access to their forthcoming tech. Talking about a project is grounds for termination. Speculation on the internet grounds for a lawsuit. I can't imagine that Apple would suddenly do an about face and do either of these things...

1)Allow an employee or technician to take a piece of technology still in the development stage for personal use. If they had, they'd know who had it, and he probably would've been murdered or something.

2)Leak their tech to the media before they were ready to throw a big shindig and have Jobs give a speech and personally introduce the functions of the hardware/software in question.

Something odd is going on.

Both scenarios strike me as incredibly uncharacteristic of Apple. In the past, Steve Jobs and the Apple brass have been incredibly careful about access to their forthcoming tech. Talking about a project is grounds for termination. Speculation on the internet grounds for a lawsuit. I can't imagine that Apple would suddenly do an about face and do either of these things...

1)Allow an employee or technician to take a piece of technology still in the development stage for personal use. If they had, they'd know who had it, and he probably would've been murdered or something.

2)Leak their tech to the media before they were ready to throw a big shindig and have Jobs give a speech and personally introduce the functions of the hardware/software in question.

Something odd is going on.

BReid, am I on your ignore?

Obviously not, since the above post was a response to what you said. I'm that guy who slows down to look at wrecks on the highway. THE INFORMATION SUPERHIGHWAY!

I find it interesting that I can have full access to the features of the Evo 4g including pictures and 3d tutorials when I'm not allowed to have any idea what the new iPhone will be like, even though they have roughly the same launch date.

Apple sucks. They're full of themselves.

I find it interesting that I can have full access to the features of the Evo 4g including pictures and 3d tutorials when I'm not allowed to have any idea what the new iPhone will be like, even though they have roughly the same launch date.

Apple sucks. They're full of themselves.

Well, the more secret it is, the more hyped up it is. Having a single prototype available to the media only adds to the hype. More hype=more sales. It's a great marketing approach (see South Park Episode "Cartmanland" for a satirical example).

I don't like this approach myself since I can't compare specs, but most people buy the iPhone anyway since they are "fapples" and buy it to look cool/are obsessed with apple.

Edited by Hadoken

First thing is first:

David - get a blackberry. You are not a power user and thusly will get more than ample happiness from the blackberry with the new handsets and OS coming out (BB 6.0 looks awesome and leaked beta versions have been pretty awesome to test on).

I have the Nexus One which is the first phone to run 2.1u1 and it's fucking amazing. There have been reports that it has 3g issues but I don't have that issue. It's not coming out for Verizon despite what Google said earlier this year but any phone that runs android 2.1 with the new snapdragon processor means you will be a happy customer.

Verizon should be getting an iPhone here before too long. I've heard nothing but terrible things about the Palm Pre, and my experience with the Droid made it feel like a weak imitation of the iPhone.

For me, though, it's primarily a comfort issue. Most smartphones have buttons that are too small for my fingers, but the touch-screen on the iPhone gets it right about 95% of the time. That's something most of the analog keyboards on phones just can't do. I've never experience better touch screen technology than the tech used by the various apple products. In terms of screen response and ease of use, the iPhone really is the best phone I've ever used. And I'm a Windows guy.

If you can wait, wait. They should have something coming out as soon as the exclusivity agreement with AT&T is up.

The iPhone on Verizon, while a major possibility, won't be in the works for a while. Despite of that - Verizon has less 3g coverage than AT&T. If I were you I'd bank on the first 4g blackberry from Verizon before the 3G iphone.

Also - touchscreens have two issues:

A. They are pressure sensitive and thusly are less responsive to quick touching (hampering texting) OR they are heat sensitive and thusly prevent you from using a screen protector without replacing it often. Stick with a phone with a slide out keyboard or a full keyboard.

The iPhone pwns. One thing it has that other phones don't have is 3rd party support.

Android, Blackberry, PalmOS and now even the new n8 all have third party support. This is silly and shows that you literally should just shut up.

I use an HTC Touch Pro 2 which runs Windows Mobile 6.5. I find that most people now who have smartphones are extremely inexperienced users who use them for very little business-type applications.

Because David is going to be using it as a buisness phone seeing as he is currently the CEO of Dell....oh, wait.

Well, I am sure you use it because you have a major chief executive position within a company, right?

The iPhone is made horribly. The screen shatters with one drop and the cables inside are made so cheaply that they fray very very very easily. I repair iPhones from Craigslist as a side job. It is a fingerprint magnet that scratches like a bitch. The actual hardware is not very intuitive at all once you get past the touch screen that HTC has very easily surpassed technologically for much, much cheaper.

Iphones are teh sux - doesn't mean winmo is good. iPhone os 3.0 and 4.0 leaks run winmo 6.x and the new Pink series OUT OF THE WATER.

The multi-app and flash iPhone is supposed to be coming out this summer. I would like to not touch on the iPhone's software until then. I imagine you will start seeing many of the same problems that people with WinMo think they have.

DON'T LISTEN TO THIS MAN.

I have had many many phones over the past two years and if I wasn't so sold on the easier integration of Outlook and Office with my WinMo device, I would DEFINITELY have a Blackberry. It is the most solid system coupled with the most solid devices (aside from the first Storm.) You can basically throw these things against the wall and they're fine. Their processors are by no where close as quick as many of the smartphones being discussed but they handle code so efficiently that they don't even need it. The battery life is impeccable and is at least twice as much as any smartphone I've ever came across, including the iPhone.

With the new Blackberrys coming out they are all boosting an OS with at least 600 mghtz processors. David, i doubt you will be using the phone in the same way I do which means you probably won't enjoy the benefits of a snapdragon processor.

Android is awful for right now. Not being able to run apps off of an SD card is moronic and this OS is being peddled to moronic consumers who will download hundreds of free apps like ones that make it so you can blow on your phone and it fogs up your screen. There's not an Android phone I have seen yet that has good battery life (though the Evo 4g for Sprint will probably change that.)

Shut your fucking whore mouth. First - you can easily root any android phone to fucking run an app of an SD card (which, really, honestly, doesn't speed it up very much).

I actually use my android for business purposes and with the newly renovated google business cloud it is quickly becoming a very business friendly phone. The nexus one btw, as a user, easily gets very good battery life and has amazing controls for battery life. Ive never seen a phone honestly more customizeable for power use than the android OS.

I also think that Opera is the best mobile browser available. The PalmOS browser wouldn't be too bad if copying and saving images were possible earlier (it took something like 8 months for that feature.) Skyfire was pretty sweet on older versions of WinMo but I think Opera has pretty much made it obsolete.

I just don't believe this - It doesn't even have multi-touch support. Waiting for Fennec is worth it though.

Don't drop it? Dropping any phone won't be good for it. And replacing iphone screens (not 2g) are actually relatively easy (all it takes is a suction cup). The iPhone has a multi-touch screen (scratches/fingerprints can be mitigated with a screen protector), making it surpass many phones right there. However, though other phones are indeed technologically superior to the iPhone, you fail to account for the massive amount of 3rd party developer support. The G1, possibly the iPhone killer, didn't live up to it's name due to lack of 3rd party support. The same holds true for many other phones, and the iPhone's ability to sync to iTunes (which everybody has) makes it a bonus. Also, if the default hardware isn't enough for you, there's a way to overclock your iPhone...

PLEASE STOP TALKING!

You should be able to drop your $300-400 phone and not expect it to shatter to pieces. You also need many more tools than a suction cup and it's a pretty tedious process which includes taking the entire phone apart and being careful of the horribly manufactured cables. Many phones now have multi-touch including the shitty Palm OS phones (Pixi and Pre.) Also, multitouch is a hindrance to users whose languages require character writing. G1 is not an iPhone killer, but it was also a phone that was made nearly 2 years ago. I challenge you to look at the marketshare that the Android OS has compared to two years ago. Apple is indeed scared, thus pushing out the iPhone 4g many months early. I'd love to compare side-by-side the iPhone to any new smartphone and show you how it's easily blown out of the water. Not to mention the huge amount of time it takes for an update to the device when you can purchase a new Android or WinMo device basically every month if you'd like. Even Blackberries are updated more often

The 4g won't be released until the summer which is when apple has always released its new iphones - how are they scared?

ALSO - MULTI-TOUCH IS AMAZING. Please stop FUCKING TALKING. It makes no sense - it seriously has 4545454 more benefits for every dis-advantage to it.

The new 3.1.3 firmware for the iphone upgrades the baseband and prevents unlocking as well. There hasn't been a released fix as of now.

Not true at all - i'm running a jailbroken version of it right now on my iphone 3gs.

@ "LEAKED iphone 4g'"

A. First - if the major renovation your phone has is multitasking then...uh...

oh, and before that its major update was....wait, get this, 'copy-paste'. I love the iphone but its still always overblown.

B. It's not a publicity stunt considering that apple just shit-canned an employee because they showed someone an ipad 3g to soon.

C. You have a devolopment platform for the 4g but you don't have specs because apple is tight like that. Listen - the reason that Apple is so fucking amazing on the cell phone front is ebcause they are sooooo amazing at controlling everything their developers do. They took Microsoft/Palm's idea of proprietary software and made it work.

Fuck you guys, most of you have no fucking clue what you are talking about and causing David and others to view phones differently that what they do.

Btw - Jimmy - you're a FUCKING IDIOT

• Upvote 1

If you have an unlocked (not simply jailbroken) iPhone 3GS running 3.1.3 Id be interested on knowing how you did it, considering I have not found a single unlock on the internet.

LOL. Just beecause Iphone unlock school hasn't published a stab;e version doesn't mean that Unix hackers don't fuck around with this stuff since pre-beta forms of the Os.....

LOL. Just beecause Iphone unlock school hasn't published a stab;e version doesn't mean that Unix hackers don't fuck around with this stuff since pre-beta forms of the Os.....

I know some1 has already crashed the baseband but the dev team isn't planning on a release for a while. And besides, I just use 3.0. And for the point of argument, non-hackers like the OP won't know how to deal with it, so it's functionally locked.

you're beef is with stable unlocked versions, not that its not possible. It's hard and requires a lot of coding but it's doable. Jusdt like putting android on the iphone is doable.

I know some1 has already crashed the baseband but the dev team isn't planning on a release for a while. And besides, I just use 3.0. And for the point of argument, non-hackers like the OP won't know how to deal with it, so it's functionally locked.

THE WHY BRING IT UP??? BESIDES - HE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE THE POSSIBILITY OF USING THE IPHONE.

I can't ethically use an iPhone for legal work at the moment. So that narrows my choices if I ever upgrade to a smart phone (currently very happy with my two-year-old Motorola RAZR; had a free Blackberry Curve for a week, the hardware and OS were awful, so I went back to the RAZR).

Everybody doesn't have iTunes. iTunes is shit that makes you use a proprietary format and doesn't recognize many filetypes such as WMA.

How does iTunes make you use a proprietary format? AAC conversion is optional. WMA is, incidentally, a Microsoft proprietary format.

How does iTunes make you use a proprietary format? AAC conversion is optional. WMA is, incidentally, a Microsoft proprietary format.

He might be referring to the iTunes store, where AAC is the only option to purchase. But yeah, iTunes handles MP3's, so it works for almost everyone.

I use an HTC Touch Pro 2 which runs Windows Mobile 6.5. I find that most people now who have smartphones are extremely inexperienced users who use them for very little business-type applications.

Because David is going to be using it as a buisness phone seeing as he is currently the CEO of Dell....oh, wait.

Well, I am sure you use it because you have a major chief executive position within a company, right?

Business-type applications are simple things such as banking or having Office spreadsheets or easily exporting documents or printing from the phone, etc. I use many of these business-type applications because of school. They have greatly improved my life. Aside from that, I run two "businesses" as well as have a job that requires me to be in near-constant communication with my bosses. Perhaps Ben (who the fuck is David?) would also like to know of the benefits that can come along with these devices. He seems to be a pretty inexperienced user, and thus, I told him about the benefits of Windows Mobile.

The multi-app and flash iPhone is supposed to be coming out this summer. I would like to not touch on the iPhone's software until then. I imagine you will start seeing many of the same problems that people with WinMo think they have.

DON'T LISTEN TO THIS MAN.

Psst...flash, when not capitalized, "flash" refers to the flash of a camera. The new iPhone is supposed to have a camera flash on it. Dumbass.

Android is awful for right now. Not being able to run apps off of an SD card is moronic and this OS is being peddled to moronic consumers who will download hundreds of free apps like ones that make it so you can blow on your phone and it fogs up your screen. There's not an Android phone I have seen yet that has good battery life (though the Evo 4g for Sprint will probably change that.)

Shut your fucking whore mouth. First - you can easily root any android phone to fucking run an app of an SD card (which, really, honestly, doesn't speed it up very much).

I shouldn't have to root my phone to run off of an SD card. That just shows that it is indeed a software flaw if there are 3rd party fixes for it. It is important for me to keep my apps on my SD card because of issues with memory. My 16 GB SDHC is a hell of a lot better than the 600 MBs or so I have for on board memory, especially since I hate deleting my texts. Also, if you are referring to the programs being sped up, that is asinine, as the problem wouldn't be the read speed and hasn't been for computing devices for quite some time. If you are referring to storage, then you are also wrong. My device would run slow if I had my apps and data on my on board memory, especially since WinMo phones are able to share ROM with the other on board memory.

I also think that Opera is the best mobile browser available. The PalmOS browser wouldn't be too bad if copying and saving images were possible earlier (it took something like 8 months for that feature.) Skyfire was pretty sweet on older versions of WinMo but I think Opera has pretty much made it obsolete.

I just don't believe this - It doesn't even have multi-touch support. Waiting for Fennec is worth it though.

The new Opera Mobile browser will include multi-touch support. However, since my phone doesn't have multi-touch, I don't give a shit.

You sell mattresses.

Business-type applications are simple things such as banking or having Office spreadsheets or easily exporting documents or printing from the phone, etc. I use many of these business-type applications because of school. They have greatly improved my life. Aside from that, I run two "businesses" as well as have a job that requires me to be in near-constant communication with my bosses. Perhaps Ben (who the fuck is David?) would also like to know of the benefits that can come along with these devices. He seems to be a pretty inexperienced user, and thus, I told him about the benefits of Windows Mobile.

Because Google docs doesn't integrate with Word/Excel/Etc.

I do banking off my phone all the time, I don't understand what the complaint is?

Windows Mobile is quickly falling off the Mobile market, everyday there is less and less support for WinMo and more and more support for apple and android.

Psst...flash, when not capitalized, "flash" refers to the flash of a camera. The new iPhone is supposed to have a camera flash on it. Dumbass.

NO expert has EVER said having flash is a major upgrade to the iphone while having flash in the browser would have been. However, this is simple miscommunication.

I shouldn't have to root my phone to run off of an SD card. That just shows that it is indeed a software flaw if there are 3rd party fixes for it. It is important for me to keep my apps on my SD card because of issues with memory. My 16 GB SDHC is a hell of a lot better than the 600 MBs or so I have for on board memory, especially since I hate deleting my texts. Also, if you are referring to the programs being sped up, that is asinine, as the problem wouldn't be the read speed and hasn't been for computing devices for quite some time. If you are referring to storage, then you are also wrong. My device would run slow if I had my apps and data on my on board memory, especially since WinMo phones are able to share ROM with the other on board memory.

If you're aren't willing to do some work then you are in no position to be giving advise on phones (you run WinMo which already disqualified you there). Your argument is like saying 'Mac doesn't come with Firefox installed already so it means its not user friendly'. They don't do it as a software flaw because they don't want millions of customers complaining on how they bricked their phones (like winmo users face by having direct file access).

if memory is an issue then buy a 16 gig SDHC card and root it for android. If its processing speed then get a better processor on your phone. if its ram then get more ram in your phone.

Most blackberrys don't have the ability to load apps onto an SDHC card or even run them off of it. So for David its not an issue (who is the OP).

The new Opera Mobile browser will include multi-touch support. However, since my phone doesn't have multi-touch, I don't give a shit.

NO IT DOESN'T - I USEEEEE ITTT!!!!!!!! PLEASE REFRAIN FROM TALKING.

The best browsers to date include> Android OS>Safari>Opera>IE Mobile

You sell mattresses.

I'd rather be the worlds worst mattress salesman then and idiotic dumbass like you that gives false and inaccurate advise to people that actually NEED it....