Grimace

"Imagine if the Tea Party Was Black" - Tim Wise

http://ephphatha-poetry.blogspot.com/2010/04/imagine-if-tea-party-was-black-tim-wise.html

Let’s play a game, shall we? The name of the game is called “Imagine.” The way it’s played is simple: we’ll envision recent happenings in the news, but then change them up a bit. Instead of envisioning white people as the main actors in the scenes we’ll conjure - the ones who are driving the action - we’ll envision black folks or other people of color instead. The object of the game is to imagine the public reaction to the events or incidents, if the main actors were of color, rather than white. Whoever gains the most insight into the workings of race in America, at the end of the game, wins.

So let’s begin.

Imagine that hundreds of black protesters were to descend upon Washington DC and Northern Virginia, just a few miles from the Capitol and White House, armed with AK-47s, assorted handguns, and ammunition. And imagine that some of these protesters —the black protesters — spoke of the need for political revolution, and possibly even armed conflict in the event that laws they didn’t like were enforced by the government? Would these protester — these black protesters with guns — be seen as brave defenders of the Second Amendment, or would they be viewed by most whites as a danger to the republic? What if they were Arab-Americans? Because, after all, that’s what happened recently when white gun enthusiasts descended upon the nation’s capital, arms in hand, and verbally announced their readiness to make war on the country’s political leaders if the need arose.

Imagine that white members of Congress, while walking to work, were surrounded by thousands of angry black people, one of whom proceeded to spit on one of those congressmen for not voting the way the black demonstrators desired. Would the protesters be seen as merely patriotic Americans voicing their opinions, or as an angry, potentially violent, and even insurrectionary mob? After all, this is what white Tea Party protesters did recently in Washington.

Imagine that a rap artist were to say, in reference to a white president: “He’s a piece of shit and I told him to suck on my machine gun.” Because that’s what rocker Ted Nugent said recently about President Obama.

Imagine that a prominent mainstream black political commentator had long employed an overt bigot as Executive Director of his organization, and that this bigot regularly participated in black separatist conferences, and once assaulted a white person while calling them by a racial slur. When that prominent black commentator and his sister — who also works for the organization — defended the bigot as a good guy who was misunderstood and “going through a tough time in his life” would anyone accept their excuse-making? Would that commentator still have a place on a mainstream network? Because that’s what happened in the real world, when Pat Buchanan employed as Executive Director of his group, America’s Cause, a blatant racist who did all these things, or at least their white equivalents: attending white separatist conferences and attacking a black woman while calling her the n-word.

Imagine that a black radio host were to suggest that the only way to get promoted in the administration of a white president is by “hating black people,” or that a prominent white person had only endorsed a white presidential candidate as an act of racial bonding, or blamed a white president for a fight on a school bus in which a black kid was jumped by two white kids, or said that he wouldn’t want to kill all conservatives, but rather, would like to leave just enough—“living fossils” as he called them—“so we will never forget what these people stood for.” After all, these are things that Rush Limbaugh has said, about Barack Obama’s administration, Colin Powell’s endorsement of Barack Obama, a fight on a school bus in Belleville, Illinois in which two black kids beat up a white kid, and about liberals, generally.

Imagine that a black pastor, formerly a member of the U.S. military, were to declare, as part of his opposition to a white president’s policies, that he was ready to “suit up, get my gun, go to Washington, and do what they trained me to do.” This is, after all, what Pastor Stan Craig said recently at a Tea Party rally in Greenville, South Carolina.

Imagine a black radio talk show host gleefully predicting a revolution by people of color if the government continues to be dominated by the rich white men who have been “destroying” the country, or if said radio personality were to call Christians or Jews non-humans, or say that when it came to conservatives, the best solution would be to “hang ‘em high.” And what would happen to any congressional representative who praised that commentator for “speaking common sense” and likened his hate talk to “American values?” After all, those are among the things said by radio host and best-selling author Michael Savage, predicting white revolution in the face of multiculturalism, or said by Savage about Muslims and liberals, respectively. And it was Congressman Culbertson, from Texas, who praised Savage in that way, despite his hateful rhetoric.

Imagine a black political commentator suggesting that the only thing the guy who flew his plane into the Austin, Texas IRS building did wrong was not blowing up Fox News instead. This is, after all, what Anne Coulter said about Tim McVeigh, when she noted that his only mistake was not blowing up the New York Times.

Imagine that a popular black liberal website posted comments about the daughter of a white president, calling her “typical redneck trash,” or a “whore” whose mother entertains her by “making monkey sounds.” After all that’s comparable to what conservatives posted about Malia Obama on freerepublic.com last year, when they referred to her as “ghetto trash.”

Imagine that black protesters at a large political rally were walking around with signs calling for the lynching of their congressional enemies. Because that’s what white conservatives did last year, in reference to Democratic party leaders in Congress.

In other words, imagine that even one-third of the anger and vitriol currently being hurled at President Obama, by folks who are almost exclusively white, were being aimed, instead, at a white president, by people of color. How many whites viewing the anger, the hatred, the contempt for that white president would then wax eloquent about free speech, and the glories of democracy? And how many would be calling for further crackdowns on thuggish behavior, and investigations into the radical agendas of those same people of color?

To ask any of these questions is to answer them. Protest is only seen as fundamentally American when those who have long had the luxury of seeing themselves as prototypically American engage in it. When the dangerous and dark “other” does so, however, it isn’t viewed as normal or natural, let alone patriotic. Which is why Rush Limbaugh could say, this past week, that the Tea Parties are the first time since the Civil War that ordinary, common Americans stood up for their rights: a statement that erases the normalcy and “American-ness” of blacks in the civil rights struggle, not to mention women in the fight for suffrage and equality, working people in the fight for better working conditions, and LGBT folks as they struggle to be treated as full and equal human beings.

And this, my friends, is what white privilege is all about. The ability to threaten others, to engage in violent and incendiary rhetoric without consequence, to be viewed as patriotic and normal no matter what you do, and never to be feared and despised as people of color would be, if they tried to get away with half the shit we do, on a daily basis.

Game Over.

• Upvote 5

I think you/article are totally wrong.

First, lets start with some examples:

Imagine that hundreds of black protesters were to descend upon Washington DC and Northern Virginia, just a few miles from the Capitol and White House, armed with AK-47s, assorted handguns, and ammunition.

AFAIK, there have been no TPers with Aks and whatnot. A conspiracy like that, no matter the race, would have been raped by the FBI (it never happened, so this example is obviously fake AFAIK).

Imagine that a rap artist were to say, in reference to a white president: “He’s a piece of shit and I told him to suck on my machine gun.” Because that’s what rocker Ted Nugent said recently about President Obama.

*sigh* The good ol' Al Sharpton/Jesse Jackson "racism" where if you say Obama is stupid, you are an auto-racist who thinks blacks are monkeys (not true, of course, it's just an intimidation tactic that ALWAYS WORKS since no one wants to be labeled a racist). THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS. Ted Nugent just meant that OBAMA himself sucks cock, not all black people in general. If I was black, I could call John McCain shit and not be a racist since not all white people are John McCain.

We let blacks have their Million Man March, no problem. And look at this: not everyone in the Tea Party is white. There are other ethnicities in the tea party, and homogenizing them as white (or in this article, black) just shows your ignorance for the diversity of America.

• Downvote 2

*sigh* The good ol' Al Sharpton/Jesse Jackson "racism" where if you say Obama is stupid, you are an auto-racist who thinks blacks are monkeys (not true, of course, it's just an intimidation tactic that ALWAYS WORKS since no one wants to be labeled a racist). THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS. Ted Nugent just meant that OBAMA himself sucks cock, not all black people in general. If I was black, I could call John McCain shit and not be a racist since not all white people are John McCain.

Not that I necessarily agree with the argument the article is presenting one hundred percent, but if a black man were to have said that about a white president shit would have gone down. It's not that Ted Nugent is racist, it's that some people are and would not accept anyone speaking like that to their precious master race.

• Upvote 2

EDIT: Loknar beat me to it.

I'm not sure the point of this article was to say that the tea party is racist (though it often is).

And this, my friends, is what white privilege is all about. The ability to threaten others, to engage in violent and incendiary rhetoric without consequence, to be viewed as patriotic and normal no matter what you do, and never to be feared and despised as people of color would be, if they tried to get away with half the shit we do, on a daily basis.

Wise is saying that a movement led by blacks saying the exact same things as the tea baggers would not have the same kind of support. Your example about threatening McCain misses the point: saying what Nugent said wouldn't make you a racist, but it could get you investigated by the feds and potentially get you in legal trouble.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Not that I necessarily agree with the argument the article is presenting one hundred percent, but if a black man were to have said that about a white president shit would have gone down. It's not that Ted Nugent is racist, it's that some people are and would not accept anyone speaking like that to their precious master race.

If I was black and I told Bill Clinton to suck my cock, shit wouldn't go down, and I wouldn't be racist. Just as if I were white and I told Obama to suck my cock, that wouldn't make me racist.

If I was black and I told Bill Clinton to suck my cock, shit wouldn't go down, and I wouldn't be racist. Just as if I were white and I told Obama to suck my cock, that wouldn't make me racist.

Simply not true.

First of all, Nugent didn't literally say "suck my cock" he said "suck on my machine gun." Even though it is pretty clear what he meant, do you really think that if a black rap artist told McCain the same thing there wouldn't be many people alleging that that person was threatening McCain?

Second, you are still conflating racism and white privilege. Wise's main point is that our reaction would be different if the races were reversed. If that is true to even a minor extent, then that is evidence of at least some level of white privilege. It doesn't make either Ted Nugent or the hypothetical black rapper any more or less "racist."

• Upvote 1

\AFAIK, there have been no TPers with Aks and whatnot. A conspiracy like that, no matter the race, would have been raped by the FBI (it never happened, so this example is obviously fake AFAIK).

False. You seemed to missed the most significant conservative protest in the past decade:

1 - http://wdef.com/news/gun_rally_protest/04/2010

2 - http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Heavily+armed+protesters+cause+stir+near+Capitol+Hill/2927061/story.html

3 - http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/world/breakingnews/gun-activists-rally-in-dc-and-virginia-in-support-of-right-to-bear-arms-91537879.html

Oh yeah, and here's why the police haven't quashed it:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2010/0419/Are-tea-party-rallies-given-preferential-treatment-by-police

See earlier posts. If a black man from a ghetto told, say, George Bush to suck on his machine gun, it would be a threat. But when some honky redneck that owns shotguns says that to a black man, it's 'freedom of expression.' You're in denial.

We let blacks have their Million Man March, no problem. And look at this: not everyone in the Tea Party is white. There are other ethnicities in the tea party, and homogenizing them as white (or in this article, black) just shows your ignorance for the diversity of America.

1 - Million Man March was primarily non-violent/calls for equality. It was also a basic appeal to civil rights, as opposed to the tea partiers, who are primarily concerned with restrictions on certain fiscal spending and bringing back old government policies like torture, etc.

2 - I think earlier posts about the difference between racism and white privilege clear up the other point here you're confused on. There's a difference between upper class black people and lower class people living in ghettos. That difference is called PRIVILEGE. We trust the wealthy with guns, but the minute poor folks (especially minorities) make the same protests, it's a: 'riot', 'looting', 'national security threat', etc.

The article is also a hypothetical, and certain doesn't homogenize race. In fact, I think it also brings up a hypothetical of Muslim groups too.

• Upvote 1

You can't bring guns to Washington DC, white or black. Period. This article talks about people rallying UNARMED in DC. There is a big difference to the OP article which talks about blacks descending upon Washington DC fully armed. Black or white or asian or mexican or etc., if you have an AK-47 in DC, you're fucked. Simple as that.

See earlier posts. If a black man from a ghetto told, say, George Bush to suck on his machine gun, it would be a threat. But when some honky redneck that owns shotguns says that to a black man, it's 'freedom of expression.' You're in denial.

If I was a radical terrorist, it would be a threat too. If I was a white Nazi, it would also be a threat. If a normal black guy said that (not gang-affiliated), it would not be perceived as a threat. If some black guy looks like that he's in gang that says that, it can be perceived as a threat. People intrinsically have stereotypes/are racists anyways, so this point doesn't really matter.

1 - Million Man March was primarily non-violent/calls for equality. It was also a basic appeal to civil rights, as opposed to the tea partiers, who are primarily concerned with restrictions on certain fiscal spending and bringing back old government policies like torture, etc.

2 - I think earlier posts about the difference between racism and white privilege clear up the other point here you're confused on. There's a difference between upper class black people and lower class people living in ghettos. That difference is called PRIVILEGE. We trust the wealthy with guns, but the minute poor folks (especially minorities) make the same protests, it's a: 'riot', 'looting', 'national security threat', etc.

The article is also a hypothetical, and certain doesn't homogenize race. In fact, I think it also brings up a hypothetical of Muslim groups too.

1. Tea Party isn't violent (as in no pipe-bombs or that shit). The Tea Party is protesting what people feel is unjust about the government, like the Kent State protests which were even more violent (students were throwing rocks amirite?) and society approved of that, so the Tea Party would be ok.

2. This answer applies to everyone on the racism point. White Privilege/lack of black privilege= BLATANT RACISM. Whites sitting on the front of the bus while blacks need to sit in the back and give their seats to whites=racism. We're all intrinsically racist in some manner, but this is clear racism here. And as a matter of fact, blacks do have more privilege than whites in some instances. People 'shop George Bush's face onto chimpanzees, but Obama has immunity from that ridicule since it is called "racist". And look at this empirical example of stupidity: "The government created AIDS to kill all black people" (Jeremiah Wright). I'm sure we're all familiar with this quote. Despite this ignorant quote, no one gave a shit that Obama listened to him or that Wright endorsed Obama. We let that stupid shit slip, so why would we care about anyone else preaching stupidity like that against white people in our government?

What about the other races in America? There are only two polarities of race in America apparently: White and black. There is no asian, mexican, indian, or other groups mentioned whatsoever.

Edited by Hadoken
  • Downvote 1

You do know the Kent State students got gunned down, right?

Jesus, you must live in a parallel universe. You really think blacks are privileged because people are offended when Obama's face is photoshopped onto a chimpanzee? The point of the article has clearly gone straight over your head. For instance, you cite Jeremiah Wright's calling AIDS a government conspiracy to kill black people as some sort of rebuttal to Wise's article. If you don't remember, Fox News played that video at least 500 times, most of the time with eerie music leading into the segment. Moreover, Wright endorsed Obama, sure, but Obama condemned Wright's statements very publicly. Furthermore, think about how Jeremiah Wright is viewed by most whites. They're terrified of him. The Tea Party is treated as a natural, patriotic uprising by the press, on the other hand.

On other races, the article actually does mention Arab Americans as well. Regardless, it is absurd to suggest Wise discuss the implications of every individual race in each editorial he writes. If you really think the press would handle an armed Muslim protest (against, say, racial profiling) the same way that they handle the tea partiers, you're clearly dilusional.

Edited by Danny Tanner
  • Upvote 1

You do know the Kent State students got gunned down, right?

Duh. My point was that society backed up the protest on the draft, and I purposefully excluded that point. And, that just goes to show that you can be white and get yourself screwed over in protests like this. Though, I personally wouldn't mind cops shooting into a TP crowd, especially if they were throwing rocks...

us whiteys just can't win can we?

when whiteys are politically expedient there's as much an underside and negative assumptions as there is with blackies being politically expedient. I think the only thing this article does a decent job of doing is demonstrating the disparity.

Let's face it, no one takes the Tea Party's political message seriously. The article does a very good job having us picture a world where the cry of the tea party 'protest' was done by people of color. The first thing that comes to my mind is, this event would have insane media coverage because let's face it.... we expect those riotous niggers to cause a frenzy... whites are stereotypically politically docile, and because of this, no one takes whiteys 'cause' seriously.

The other side the article demonstrates is that we view people of color as politically volatile. So much, to the point that the article starts to paint an extremely racist picture in my mind, of violent blacks protesting...

I mean, let's just face it already people.

all blacks are violent

all whiteys can't be 'oppressed'

:rolleyes:

Jesus, you must live in a parallel universe. You really think blacks are privileged because people are offended when Obama's face is photoshopped onto a chimpanzee? The point of the article has clearly gone straight over your head. For instance, you cite Jeremiah Wright's calling AIDS a government conspiracy to kill black people as some sort of rebuttal to Wise's article.

Guess what? I think that blacks ARE privileged in some instances. Call me a racist, but you are too for being so ignorant. Look at affirmative action. Take a white kid and a black kid with equal household incomes, extracurriculars, grades, etc. The black kid will be chosen over the white kid for colleges, giving this kid an advantage solely based on race. Oh, and I think y'all are failing to understand this article yourselves.

If you don't remember, Fox News played that video at least 500 times, most of the time with eerie music leading into the segment.

This has jackshit to do with what I am saying. Fox News covered it. So what? CNN did too, along with all the other media outlets.

Moreover, Wright endorsed Obama, sure, but Obama condemned Wright's statements very publicly. Furthermore, think about how Jeremiah Wright is viewed by most whites. They're terrified of him. The Tea Partiers are treated as a natural, patriotic uprising by the press, on the other hand.

Natural and patriotic my ass. CNN and most media outlets (exclude Fox News) RIDICULE the tea party, along with sarah palin for their stupidity. People would also ridicule the black TP based on stupidity (no racism intended).

On other races, the article actually does mention Arab Americans as well. Regardless, it is absurd to suggest Wise discuss the implications of every individual race in each editorial he writes. If you really think the press would handle an armed Muslim protest (against, say, racial profiling) the same way that they handle the tea partiers, you're clearly dilusional.

Lol, what do you think is going to happen with a black tea party? The whites will crack out the fire hoses and dogs? Not going to happen. People these days are so terrified at being labeled racists that they will go out of their way to avoid that. You should hear Al Sharpton's intimidation tactics work everytime with the white guy going "Okay, you're right cuz I'm not a racist". And what, it mentions Arab americans. In one sentence. The damn story focuses on black people only. I'm not expecting him to list off all the races in the world here, but this story is focused on two races only. However, I maintain that for the most part, the public would maintain the same treatment.

Let me cite an example:

Imagine a black radio talk show host gleefully predicting a revolution by people of color if the government continues to be dominated by the rich white men who have been “destroying” the country, or if said radio personality were to call Christians or Jews non-humans, or say that when it came to conservatives, the best solution would be to “hang ‘em high.”

We are cracking shit at Rush Limbaugh (A white conservative radio talk show host) for blaming Iceland's volcanic activity on Obamacare. If a black person says shit like Rush Limbaugh, they deserve to get torn apart too. Blacks don't gain some kind of immunity like you wish they had. Liberals and their reverse racism. If we are going to give black people any shit at all, it's for them being stupid, not because of their race.

Everyone who is wishing for blacks to be unable to be ridiculed for their stupidity is a reverse racists. Many Americans call the TP retarded, and guess what? I think it is too. If the TP is black only, I'd also call it retarded.

If a black man from a ghetto told, say, George Bush to suck on his machine gun, it would be a threat. But when some honky redneck that owns shotguns says that to a black man, it's 'freedom of expression.' You're in denial.

If a honky redneck tells that to OBAMA, it would be a perceived as a RACIST THREAT. Get my drift? You're comparing apples to oranges. A black guy talking to Mr. President is different than a redneck talking to a random black guy of relative unimportance. If a black man from a ghetto told an ordinary white guy to suck his machine gun, it's also freedom of expression.

Imagine that a popular black liberal website posted comments about the daughter of a white president, calling her “typical redneck trash,” or a “whore” whose mother entertains her by “making monkey sounds.” After all that’s comparable to what conservatives posted about Malia Obama on freerepublic.com last year, when they referred to her as “ghetto trash.”

Here's another part from the article I am going to tear apart. Black people can call the daughter of the president redneck trash or a whore, no problem. That's not even racist. Some of us have made fun of Sarah Palin's daughter's disability (family guy amirite) and most of us found that funny. And besides, who gives a shit about what is said on the internets? Anything can be said on the internet without remorse. Go to Nazi.com or some shit like that (whorechan ne1?). This isn't mainstream media. Whatever occurs on the internet is biased bullshit, that's all I have to say. Freerepublic.com? Of course it's going to be biased against Obama. What, do we lose our freedom of speech on the internet now? I could post on revolutionmuslim.com and say the creators of south park are going to get killed. Will it be taken seriously? Maybe. Could it just be a 10 year old trolling? Perhaps. There are so many variables to be taken in account with the internet, and drawing a conclusion from one website without understanding the internet is a huge fallacy.

AND HERE IS AN IMPORTANT THING YOU GUYS FAIL TO UNDERSTAND: THERE ARE BLACK PEOPLE IN THESE TEA PARTIES TODAY. Yes, despite what the media portrays, there are black people in these rallies. Do we harass these black people exclusively out of the entire group? No, we harass everyone in these things for being retarded. Imagine the reverse. What if there is a black tea party with some white people thrown in (and this is ignorant, considering I am excluding many other races that would be in here)? I don't know, but we would also harass them for being stupid. In fact, this article is stupid for theorytarding about a 100% black TP because Wise believes that the TP is 100% white.

And you guys don't understand what it means to be of another race. You're probably all white kids who are speaking for others when you have been white the whole time and never been of another race.

Okay, let me cut to the chase:

We all have our own stereotypical images of black people and others as well. If we treat them unfairly due to their race, that's just us demonstrating our inherent racism. And there's no way we can change our inherent racism without being racist. It's too bad, so sad. It'll be a long time, if even, when the view of race is phased out. However, no one is racist to the extent where you'll hear reporters say stuff like: "Okay guys, lets get out the dogs, hoses, and ropes and take care of this black tea party." Nobody is that openly racist in society without being shunned. However, we will always have our personal attitudes towards other races, and nothing will change that. This article is retarded since it makes us imagine ourselves as these outspoken racists, not the inherent racists that we are.

Edited by Hadoken
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

AND HERE IS AN IMPORTANT THING YOU GUYS FAIL TO UNDERSTAND: THERE ARE BLACK PEOPLE IN THESE TEA PARTIES TODAY.

Give statistics on the racial composition of the tea party.

• Upvote 1

the first hit is from a huffpo article that asks "where are all the black people?" How's the gunpowder tastes? 'cause your little plan just backfired.

And no one is calling you racist, Hadoken. Just ignorant. Racism does not function the same way as it did when it was socially condoned or expected. Racism is now an institutional practice vis-a-vis the overt racism that characterized American history up through the 1960s.

• Upvote 1

Guess what? I think that blacks ARE privileged in some instances. Call me a racist, but you are too for being so ignorant. Look at affirmative action. Take a white kid and a black kid with equal household incomes, extracurriculars, grades, etc. The black kid will be chosen over the white kid for colleges, giving this kid an advantage solely based on race. Oh, and I think y'all are failing to understand this article yourselves.

This has jackshit to do with what I am saying. Fox News covered it. So what? CNN did too, along with all the other media outlets.

Natural and patriotic my ass. CNN and most media outlets (exclude Fox News) RIDICULE the tea party, along with sarah palin for their stupidity. People would also ridicule the black TP based on stupidity (no racism intended).

Lol, what do you think is going to happen with a black tea party? The whites will crack out the fire hoses and dogs? Not going to happen. People these days are so terrified at being labeled racists that they will go out of their way to avoid that. You should hear Al Sharpton's intimidation tactics work everytime with the white guy going "Okay, you're right cuz I'm not a racist". And what, it mentions Arab americans. In one sentence. The damn story focuses on black people only. I'm not expecting him to list off all the races in the world here, but this story is focused on two races only. However, I maintain that for the most part, the public would maintain the same treatment.

Let me cite an example:

Imagine a black radio talk show host gleefully predicting a revolution by people of color if the government continues to be dominated by the rich white men who have been “destroying” the country, or if said radio personality were to call Christians or Jews non-humans, or say that when it came to conservatives, the best solution would be to “hang ‘em high.”

We are cracking shit at Rush Limbaugh (A white conservative radio talk show host) for blaming Iceland's volcanic activity on Obamacare. If a black person says shit like Rush Limbaugh, they deserve to get torn apart too. Blacks don't gain some kind of immunity like you wish they had. Liberals and their reverse racism. If we are going to give black people any shit at all, it's for them being stupid, not because of their race.

Everyone who is wishing for blacks to be unable to be ridiculed for their stupidity is a reverse racists. Many Americans call the TP retarded, and guess what? I think it is too. If the TP is black only, I'd also call it retarded.

If a honky redneck tells that to OBAMA, it would be a perceived as a RACIST THREAT. Get my drift? You're comparing apples to oranges. A black guy talking to Mr. President is different than a redneck talking to a random black guy of relative unimportance. If a black man from a ghetto told an ordinary white guy to suck his machine gun, it's also freedom of expression.

Here's another part from the article I am going to tear apart. Black people can call the daughter of the president redneck trash or a whore, no problem. That's not even racist. Some of us have made fun of Sarah Palin's daughter's disability (family guy amirite) and most of us found that funny. And besides, who gives a shit about what is said on the internets? Anything can be said on the internet without remorse. Go to Nazi.com or some shit like that (whorechan ne1?). This isn't mainstream media. Whatever occurs on the internet is biased bullshit, that's all I have to say. Freerepublic.com? Of course it's going to be biased against Obama. What, do we lose our freedom of speech on the internet now? I could post on revolutionmuslim.com and say the creators of south park are going to get killed. Will it be taken seriously? Maybe. Could it just be a 10 year old trolling? Perhaps. There are so many variables to be taken in account with the internet, and drawing a conclusion from one website without understanding the internet is a huge fallacy.

AND HERE IS AN IMPORTANT THING YOU GUYS FAIL TO UNDERSTAND: THERE ARE BLACK PEOPLE IN THESE TEA PARTIES TODAY. Yes, despite what the media portrays, there are black people in these rallies. Do we harass these black people exclusively out of the entire group? No, we harass everyone in these things for being retarded. Imagine the reverse. What if there is a black tea party with some white people thrown in (and this is ignorant, considering I am excluding many other races that would be in here)? I don't know, but we would also harass them for being stupid. In fact, this article is stupid for theorytarding about a 100% black TP because Wise believes that the TP is 100% white.

And you guys don't understand what it means to be of another race. You're probably all white kids who are speaking for others when you have been white the whole time and never been of another race.

Okay, let me cut to the chase:

We all have our own stereotypical images of black people and others as well. If we treat them unfairly due to their race, that's just us demonstrating our inherent racism. And there's no way we can change our inherent racism without being racist. It's too bad, so sad. It'll be a long time, if even, when the view of race is phased out. However, no one is racist to the extent where you'll hear reporters say stuff like: "Okay guys, lets get out the dogs, hoses, and ropes and take care of this black tea party." Nobody is that openly racist in society without being shunned. However, we will always have our personal attitudes towards other races, and nothing will change that. This article is retarded since it makes us imagine ourselves as these outspoken racists, not the inherent racists that we are.

Get a college education, please.

I don't need liberalization, mind you.

And lemme guess, my post was tl;dr

I had to look up what tl;dr meant, but no. I just read it and was baffled that people could think like that and expect to be taken seriously. You seem to think I wish black people were immune from criticism (in fact you explicitly say that) which is absurd. The rest of it is just you failing to understand the arguments Wise makes, which is unfortunate because I don't think it is written at a very difficult reading level. For instance, Ted Nugent telling Obama to "suck on his machine gun" isn't itself racist. Wise is simply saying that if a black rapper (or angry Muslim) said the same thing to McCain or Bush he would be perceived as a much bigger threat and barely anyone would come to his side to defend his "patriotism." Nonetheless, Nugent is a right-wing hero. This is an example of white privilege. White people get to use violent rhetoric against political leaders without consequence, and doing so doesn't function to diminish their perceived patriotism. Other posters have also proposed that you fail to recognize non-overt racism, which I find to be a fitting characterization. It's interesting that you think a college education is liberalization. I haven't met many debaters who buy into the whole anti-intellectualism movement. Most simply try to defend the intellectual merits of their own positions and aren't afraid that taking classes and reading books will somehow dull their minds.

Edited by Danny Tanner
  • Upvote 1

The thing is, I understand non-overt racism more than any of you.

Kevin, tell me honestly: When has your life ever been seriously affected by you being Asian except for you getting yelled at for making too many jokes about it? Or are you just being arrogant? I'm not asking as a way of insulting you, I'm genuinely curious.

Small penis jokes? Getting asked to help with math homework? Hearing the same shit consistently gets annoying.

And yet you make the same Jewish jokes about me all the time? That's not non-overt racism, that's racist jokes. When are you subconsciously discriminated against?

Hearing the same shit consistently gets annoying.

Same for reading your stupid fucking opinions. Stop posting, you goddamn dolt.

• Upvote 1

no1 is makin u read them

No one is making you post them... so shut the fuck up, you unfunny, moronic, hackneyed piece of shit. No one wants you shitting up this forum with your worthless sub-GED tripe.

• Upvote 2