Sign in to follow this  
Eapen

Moving to Virginia/DC, Looking for debate jobs

Hi,

I'm moving to DC area/Northern Virginia in early August. I'm looking for part time work coaching high school or college policy, judging, & research. I've been affiliated with policy debate for years and have coached in some fashion for the last 5 years. Previously I debated for the University of Missouri-Columbia on the NDT/CEDA circuit.

If your program might find me useful, you can contact me at eapen.thampy@gmail.com

Edited by Eapen

I'm sure our school would be more than happy to have you come down to lecture our novices since they never seem to want to pay attention to our varsity members, I'll see if I could work something out with my captain

There's a pretty good debate job located at 25 E St SW, Washington in DC but it's sort of hard to get an interview there.

That's a parking lot. Or the headquarters of Verizon.

• Downvote 1

Eapen,

I'm sire the DC UDL would appreciate some help even outside of your other work.

They have a faceboook group for DC area judges.

I judge in the D.C. UDL. PM me your email and we'll discuss.

are you looking for money, or are you just looking to help out? because i know our school would love to have you, but we have two criteria- its free (were kind of poor lol) and you dont try to change our argumentation style. if you want to help out, email me-

njl1994@gmail.com

and ill see what i can arrange =)

There are a lot of debate programs in the area. Where exactly are you moving, and do you have a car? That will limit who you can hook up with - Metro doesn't go to out to Broad Run, in Loudoun County, for example. If you are actually in DC and linked to Metro, you'll want to get in with the UDL schools or Woodrow Wilson, which is located in the city but attends WACFL tournaments (the main local league) and travels a little.

If you are living further west, with a car, you have more options depending on how much you want to fight traffic. There are a lot more debate schools in the region than are on this board, so if you are just looking to judge the people here can help you out, but there may be other schools looking for a real coach if you search for someone close to where you live/work.

nooo, dont listen to kaitlyn. i really mean please dont try to change how we debate :)

I'm not the only adult who finds this funny, right?

Please change how they debate.....LOL.......I've been trying to talk them out of the K all year, but nobody listens..

Best thing to do, would be to contact me in the Fall as I'll know by then which program is looking for coaches, etc., becuase they will contact me due to my involvement with WACFL. You may try Washington and Lee in Arlington, they are looking for a coach as their current coach is going to be leaving. Yorktown in Arlington will probably be looking for a debate coach too...not sure..they haven't had policy there since 2007, but you never know. In the District there's Wilson and GDS. If you coach LD, Archbishop Carroll wil lbe looking for a coach as their current staff is leaving. Let me know. H.

Jeff, no I find it funny when I try to give them advice (afterall, I think I know something about policy, maybe) and they just blow me off. It amuses me.

we dont blow you off mr. h.... policy just really isnt our style. weve taken what youve said into consideration, after all, we need policy strats for when we get anti k judges. its just that, when we can, ks are what we run.

As they should. However, they should be open to learning other strategies, nick, as you said, for rounds when you have anti-K judges, and you can always improve how you debate the K.

The only thing that teaches the need to learn and execute multiple strats is time and rounds...that's all.

Edited by hylanddd

Will posters please limit discussion here to stuff that will help me find a job in DC? If you want to whine about your debate style and how people want to make you change it, that's fine, just please don't hijack my efforts to find employment.

www.monster.com

Now quit whining about the results of your begging for a job on a high school debate website. You are owed nothing by anyone who has posted in this thread and have no right to act as though they do.

That's very blunt, and rude :/

www.monster.com

Now quit whining about the results of your begging for a job on a high school debate website. You are owed nothing by anyone who has posted in this thread and have no right to act as though they do.

What act of entitlement? I see someone trying to find a job and his attempts thwarted by NoVA locals bitching (for good reason, though) about philosophical differences.

Seriously NJL1994, don't change the way you debate? *Gasp* how dare someone attempt to teach you kids things that you barely comprehend!

Everyone can seriously calm down. Bravo's right. While this would seem like a logical place to look for a debate job, this is just a high school site, with the mid-atlantic thread particularly dull and unvisited.

Hyland or giantchkn would probably be some of the few coaches who could legitimately find you a job who actually posts here and they have already given you advice. If you're actually expecting any more coaches/helpful people to come along, you're gonna be holding your breath for a seriously long time.

If you want to get in touch with people who could ACTUALLY help you, I would probably suggest emailing/PMing Hyland (correct me if I'm wrong) because he would probably have email contacts to most of the coaches in the area, or whoever is leading WACFL right now who would be much more helpful to you. You have also had people from the DC udl offer you contact information.

or try visiting http://wacfl.org/ or http://budl.org/

going back to an unrelated note, Frank, I think you live down the hall from my sister at mason.

Edited by RedHead

First, I restored the threads because i do not tolerate censorship. This community should have a record of its discourse, and I think removing threads is wrong. What was going on there was relatively amusing and friendly banter between debaters and coaches. There's no need to remove it. And, it also serves as a learning tool for other readers - forcing them to consider the idea that success in debate means being willing to move outside of your comfort zone if you have to - that is an important notion that other debaters should be able to see and mull over.

Second, Eapen - rolling up on the set and telling us what we should or should not talk about isn't a good idea. Right. Discussions take on their own life. Why don't you do what I did when I moved to DC in 1997? You pick up the phone and start calling programs, speaking to the coach and finding out if help is needed? It worked for me - I had a job within two weeks of moving here. Do some research, get to know the area - but Red is right, alienating the two coaches in the area that can actually move to find you a program is probably not a strategic move!!:)

I didn't censor the thread, I created a new one so that the job discussion was in one thread and the 'dont change how I debate' conversation was in a separate one and I had moved all the relevant posts to that over to the other thread.

Well..there's probably no harm in allowing those posts to exist in this threat as all. I think historical records should stay as is....But, if you want to close them out again, that's fine.