Sign in to follow this  
Mr. White

WA state coach's meeting and laptops

Hey,

The state coach's meeting was today. I wanted to share with you all what we discussed.

We approved the use of laptops at the state tournament (and otherwise) in all debate events and in extemp prep.

One of the concerns that multiple coaches had was about fair use and equity. As Coovert said "we can't ban cheating" so instead the policy shifts toward an ethics based system. Similar to the ways in which we currently make sure debaters aren't clipping cards or fabricating evidence we, as a community, need to make sure that technology is used fairly in rounds.

the text as it stood before today read:

Electronic devices including but not limited to blackberry, cell phones, or computers are not allowed. Any suspected use of them is to be reported to the tab room. Headquarters will record a loss for the team/debater and will result in zero speaker points.

now it says:

1. Computers may be used in debate rounds but all evidence read in round must be available to the opposing team on paper or an additional laptop. The evidence should be clearly marked to show which parts were read in round.

2. Contestants using laptop computers assume all risk for equipment failure. No additional accommodations or prep time will be given should equipment failure occur.

3. Competitors and coaches should refrain from communication once a debate round has started. This includes the use of electronic devices to communicate during a debate. Tournament directors of invitational tournaments, and the WSFA Executive Committee at the State tournament, should have the authority to sanction individuals violating this standard.

We also passed an amendment saying that if any internet access occurs in round it has to be accessible to both teams. I don't have the exact text with me but it will come out in the next edition of the rulebook, I believe in the fall.

There's specific text for extemp, but I'm not typing it up. We also changed the way the state tournament is run for Public Forum, making it more like policy and LD in both the allocations from each district and the scheduling.

We also set up the schedule for next season. I didn't get a chance to write down all the tournaments but look for the list in the next couple of days.

Finally, a shameless plug: In an effort to get more open rounds before Whitman, Ingraham will be hosting a (pre-season) scrimmage on October 8/9, open division only. These will be the first open debates of the school year. We can't give out awards, but our plan is to have seven or eight prelims and, in conjunction with Kamiak high school invite a certain number of the top seeds to a round robin the following weekend at their novice tournament. Those teams would not pay two registration fees. Hopefully we can our open teams 12+ rounds in before Whitman.

We also passed an amendment saying that if any internet access occurs in round it has to be accessible to both teams. I don't have the exact text with me but it will come out in the next edition of the rulebook, I believe in the fall.

how loosely are we to interpret "internet access"? are teams now permitted to cut cards during rounds or is this more a reference to checking gmail and facebook in the 2ar (as i know so many of us do)?

this is probably a stupid question-- sawry, robbie.

• Downvote 1

The general feeling was that cutting cards mid-round was too impractical and inefficient at this point to warrant concern. My interpretation was that this applied to quick fact checking/wiking during the round. I don't think people surfing facebook/gmail will end up being punished for it.

I don't think anyone will ever care if one team checks email or whatever in the 2AR, even if the other team doesn't have access.

That rule actually explicitly permits research during the round if both teams have access to the Internet.

it was also pointed out that to cut, highlight/underline and tag a card has a distinct time trade off in a debate round. For example, what if you take the extra time to cut a turn on a disad with your prep time and the neg kicks the disad in the block/2nr? Or the card turns out to simply not be that good because later in the round the neg checks the site in-round and the bottom of the article contradicts itself, etc.

Plus, lots of tournaments have no internet access anyways.

If this is ever used in a debate round I'd actually like to see it used as a way to get deeper into the intricacies of the evidence by cutting/utilizing the paragraphs before and after what teams cut, etc.

Also, for those that can't go to a long extended debate camp, it appears that there are going to be a few options, off the top of my head, I can think of Tahoma running a 2 or 3 day weekend session in August.

Coove: I suggest you check out dropbox as an option for an elelctronic extemp tub. It should be easily organizable for a team of extempers.

Edited by Nature Boy