oasasaurus

Looking for Dallas/Fort Worth coaches/teachers

Hi all,

I am looking into the idea of trying for a teaching job in the Fort Worth ISD (TX). I'm from Michigan, and am looking for some different kinds of information. For one I'm sure I just don't know what living in Fort Worth would be like. For another, I really want to find out what it's like to teach there or in the area. Finally I have no idea what debate in that region looks like, but as a long time debate coach I'm interested to find out. If you would like to contribute thoughts on these issues please either post them to this thread or (preferably) get in contact with me. My website with contact info is http://www.orionsmith.info. Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

I am looking into the idea of trying for a teaching job in the Fort Worth ISD (TX). I'm from Michigan, and am looking for some different kinds of information. For one I'm sure I just don't know what living in Fort Worth would be like. For another, I really want to find out what it's like to teach there or in the area. Finally I have no idea what debate in that region looks like, but as a long time debate coach I'm interested to find out. If you would like to contribute thoughts on these issues please either post them to this thread or (preferably) get in contact with me. My website with contact info is http://www.orionsmith.info. Thanks in advance!

The Brain Drain from Michigan continues

The Brain Drain from Michigan continues
He's thinking about moving somewhere he's never been, to teach in a school district he knows nothing about, and coach on a circuit about which he hasn't got a clue. Clearly, his brain was drained some time ago... ;)

Seriously, Orion...why Fort Worth?

He's thinking about moving somewhere he's never been, to teach in a school district he knows nothing about, and coach on a circuit about which he hasn't got a clue. Clearly, his brain was drained some time ago... ;)

Seriously, Orion...why Fort Worth?

Not an offer, but close. In Michigan, offers like this one never happen for first-year teachers and they never happen this early (often teachers are hired in late summer). The sales pitch was pretty good, recruiters were really pumped about me, money and cost of living are both great; now it's up to me to research and decide by June. So... research time!

Hi, I'm a college NDT/CEDA debater who lives in Dallas and judges on some of the weekends I'm not competing, and I can help answer your questions:

There are a lot of debate schools in the Dallas-Fort Worth area as well as all of the other major cities in Texas and some rural areas, which means there are many tournaments both in the DFW metroplex and nearby areas. In the Dallas area alone, there are 3 TOC bid tournaments that I can think of: St. Mark's, Greenhill, and Grapevine. Non-bid tournaments are too numerous for me to list here, but if you're interested you could look them up on Joy of Tournaments or the Texas forum on this website.

There are two debate leagues in Texas - TFA and UIL. TFA is more TOC-style and UIL is more traditional. Both host state championships and my impression is that many debaters seek to do well at both. Here's the TFA state website: http://www.txfa.org/index.asp and here is the UIL's page for new coaches: http://www.uil.utexas.edu/academics/speech/new_coach/index.html

Good luck!