Sign in to follow this  
SPREZZIDENT

baseball

red sox royals poses an interesting duel today:

best pitcher in baseball against good pitcher facing worst offense in baseball

but each side has awful awful bullpens.

wonder which side will just say "you know what, aim to foul off as many balls as we can and run the starter's pitch count up as high as possible because once we get to the bullpen we're guaranteed to be back in it"

I had a pretty sad realization watching the game last night. If you saw my Facebook updates at all, I remarked at one point, "Quick, get Kyle Farnsworth, he's the best we've got!"

The terrifying part? Disregarding the pitching we're getting from the rotation, that's terrifyingly close to true. Dusty Hughes and John Parrish have been not as terrible as they could've been, but Farnsworthless has been dizzyingly un-Farnsworth like so far this week. Hopefully Zack can go seven or eight today or, ideally, pitch a CG. Eight inning means we get three outs of Joakim Soria, which I'll take any day over two innings or more of our middle, "relief."

Odds that DM makes some moves in Free Agency in the near future to restock the 'pen? Isringhausen, Guardado, Tavarez, Smoltz, and Pedro are all available, and would all cost a lot less than the clowns we've got now.

farnsworth is better than the basic stats would lead you to believe--he even was last year. his '09 was the byproduct of a career high BABIP which is a combination of bad luck and bad defense. his FIP is way better than his actual ERA. i'd rather see him starting than kyle friggin' davies, if not now, then definitely when davies inevitably proves yet again that he can't be a reliable major league arm later this season. now, i'd rather see tejeda there than either, but that's a digression.

the royals could get great relievers and hillman would still mismanage them, so i don't think it really matters that much

Just got back from watching the Tigers beat Cleveland. I love baseball.

I was there yesterday. I think thats something a man should do for his birthday every year, attend opening day. Presuming your birthday is around opening day, and you were actually born ON opening day.

• Upvote 1

I got out to two ballgames this week. Both Royals losses. I'd take it as a sign to stay away, but I don't think this one's my fault since they lost two on tv as well.

I got out to two ballgames this week. Both Royals losses. I'd take it as a sign to stay away, but I don't think this one's my fault since they lost two on tv as well.

um, the royals are 2-3

It took about a week for this guy to kill most of the excitement around the O's this year. Seriously, he sucks so bad that we booed him in the pregame on Opening Day.

EIIHsQ45.jpg

• Downvote 1

Suspension of a "semi-big" NL starting pitcher (but not a Met) for PED use is imminent apparently. Suspension could come as early as the end of the week.

It took about a week for this guy to kill most of the excitement around the O's this year.
The Orioles currently have the worst offense in the American League (last in runs scored, only team in the league with an OBP below .300, next-to-last in OPS, etc.), and the second-to-worst pitching staff (only the bullpen-challenged Royals are worse). The best closer in baseball wouldn't matter on this team...

The Orioles currently have the worst offense in the American League (last in runs scored, only team in the league with an OBP below .300, next-to-last in OPS, etc.), and the second-to-worst pitching staff (only the bullpen-challenged Royals are worse). The best closer in baseball wouldn't matter on this team...

If they simply held the leads that they had going into the 9th inning, they'd be 5-9 now. I mean, they were never going to the playoffs out of that division, but .500 was a realistic goal coming into the year. And just surviving the early part of the schedule playing around .400 ball by the second week of May probably wouldve been enough to get there.

.500 was a realistic goal coming into the year. And just surviving the early part of the schedule playing around .400 ball by the second week of May probably wouldve been enough to get there.
Wow. With that kind of over-the-top optimism, you should be a Royals fan... ;)

The Orioles haven't won as many as 70 games in a season since 2006. Last year they only won 64 games, worst in the American League and third-worst in all of MLB (Pirates, Nationals). Their pitching last season was the worst in the American League, and their offense was 11th in runs scored and 10th in OPS. What on earth did they do in the off-season to make you think they could play .500 ball this year?

And, don't kid yourself, the division they're in isn't what's killing them. Last year they were 17-20 against the AL Central, 12-23 against the AL West, and 11-7 against the National League. Overall record vs. non-AL East opponents = 40-50 (.444).

Embrace the suck, my brother... ;)

Wow. With that kind of over-the-top optimism, you should be a Royals fan... ;)

The Orioles haven't won as many as 70 games in a season since 2006. Last year they only won 64 games, worst in the American League and third-worst in all of MLB (Pirates, Nationals). Their pitching last season was the worst in the American League, and their offense was 11th in runs scored and 10th in OPS. What on earth did they do in the off-season to make you think they could play .500 ball this year?

And, don't kid yourself, the division they're in isn't what's killing them. Last year they were 17-20 against the AL Central, 12-23 against the AL West, and 11-7 against the National League. Overall record vs. non-AL East opponents = 40-50 (.444).

Embrace the suck, my brother... ;)

The biggest difference was the rotation. Last year it was Guthrie, Uehara, Alfredo Simon, Adam Eaton, and Mark Hendrickson. This year it is Millwood, Guthrie, Matusz, Hernandez, and Bergeson (who may or may not be out of the rotation now). And with the continued evolution of the young guys like Wieters, Jones, Pie, and Reimold... I dont think it was too unreasonable. 75 might have been a more realistic target, but .500 was possible. And I'm not the only one who thought that... a lot of baseball writers thought we would surprise this year and compete for a WC next year.

This is probably the best team we've had since the turn of the century. Which just makes the losses so much worse. This season has hurt worse than any that I can remember.

How is it possible to lose a game where you only give up ONE HIT.
Could be worse. "On April 23, 1964, Ken Johnson of the Houston Colt .45s became the only pitcher to lose a complete game no-hitter in nine innings when he was beaten 1-0 by Cincinnati. The winning run was scored by Pete Rose in the top of the ninth inning via an error, groundout, and another error." Here's the boxscore...

How bad were the Colt .45s? Check the attendance figures for the game... ;)

How the FUCK is it possible to lose a game where you only give up ONE FUCKING HIT. GOD FUCKING CHRIST.

god's spiting you. he says you should stop masturbating every time the dodgers lose.

god's spiting you. he says you should stop masturbating every time the dodgers lose.

I think were living in Bizzaro world. The Dodgers have great hitting but no pitching. The Giants have great pitching but no hitting.

Weird.

I think were living in Bizzaro world. The Dodgers have great hitting but no pitching. The Giants have great pitching but no hitting.
Well, maybe you're living in Bizarro World. I'm just fine, thanks! ;)

A couple of weeks of baseball is too small a sample size to draw many meaningful conclusions, but at this point the Dodgers are 3rd in the NL in runs scored, while the Giants are 5th; hardly a major discrepancy. The Dodgers' pitching so far has, indeed, sucked a fat one, but they led the league last year (Giants were 2nd), so I don't think that's a long-term trend. The weird thing that jumps out at me is that the Giants are 5th in runs scored and 3rd in pitching, but they're only 8-6...