AK-47

Class of 2010: College Plans

Ben Menzies, debating at Whitman in Walla Walla.

My partner, Daniel Agness (who I believe has vacated these parts for good) will be attending Stanford. I believe his current plan is not to debate, though he may be open to it. (Stanford people, you should hit him up!)

Announcements from the Pembroke Boys:

Brad Bolman = Dartmouth

Peter Vale = Georgetown

Isaac Alpert = Northwestern

Patrick Berger and Justin Chan are both going to Cal next year. Justin's for sure not debating, I'm undecided.

Elisabeth McClure - Glenelg will be attending Emory and her partner Daniel Zhao, Glenelg will be attending Harvard.

To the neg repper that told me that ASU is "a party resort, not an educational institution. let me know when you drop out and go to rehab for oxy"

I'm sorry I'm not as ridiculously wealthy as you that I can afford to go to other "educational institutions" that had accepted me. Why the hell do you care if I go to my own state school. Get your facts straight before you go around criticizing people, because a full ride > falling in massive debt for undergrad any day.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

To the neg repper that told me that ASU is "a party resort, not an educational institution. let me know when you drop out and go to rehab for oxy"

I'm sorry I'm not as ridiculously wealthy as you that I can afford to go to other "educational institutions" that had accepted me. Why the hell do you care if I go to my own state school. Get your facts straight before you go around criticizing people, because a full ride > falling in massive debt for undergrad any day.

Haters just be jealous their parties won't compare to yours

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I didn't know neg rep was soooooooo bad

ASU has one of the best astro/aero programs in hte country - it may have nice weather and a lax attitude about social affairs, but when those math and physics people talk - most areo/astro people listen.

• Upvote 1

A little over six months ago my college debate coach and mentor Scott Deatherage passed away. It capped off a year of great loss in the college debate community with many icons leaving us, including Ross Smith coach at Wake Forest. Both of these men taught me the importance of passing the skills of debate on to the next generation. I hope to honor the memory of these coaches by creating a database of debate alumni who may be interested in working with young debaters in the future. This data will be used to help promote the National Urban Debate League as well as high school debate programs across the country. Please take 5 minutes to fill out the attached form and hopefully we can match you up to a debate program in your area.

This data will be shared with debate organizations looking for coaches and individuals with debate experience especially Urban Debate Leagues in the areas that people are attending college. Your information will not be shared with anyone outside of these parameters.

Please forward this form to anyone you know in debate. I hope to grow a useful database of connections across the history of debate so do not limit your forward to this year’s seniors. If you are a school or debate organization interested in contact information for coaches in a certain area please contact me at lukephill@gmail.com.

The form can be found here http://spreadsheets0.google.com/viewform?formkey=dEVPS01zM0pTWVBRV0wyekZ0VEZfZXc6MA

Best,

Luke Hill

Northwestern '05

• Upvote 1

is anyone going to ucsd?

I don't know about who else is going, but I'm currently at UCSD. They've been trying to start a policy debate team for several years now, but they've had some difficulty with coaching as well as funding. I tried to get connections with Southwestern College and Cal State Fullerton, both of which do debate. But besides judging local high school tournaments and going to ADI, I wasn't able to accomplish much last year. Maybe this year we can get more involved. Are you going to UCSD?

I don't know about who else is going, but I'm currently at UCSD. They've been trying to start a policy debate team for several years now, but they've had some difficulty with coaching as well as funding. I tried to get connections with Southwestern College and Cal State Fullerton, both of which do debate. But besides judging local high school tournaments and going to ADI, I wasn't able to accomplish much last year. Maybe this year we can get more involved. Are you going to UCSD?

yeah

yeah

Bump. I didn't see this earlier, but we should meet up sometime if you're interested in getting something going. Send me a PM if you're up for it.

Indiana University debate is interested in growing our policy squad. Keep IU and its stellar undergraduate degrees in mind (SPEA, Kelly School of Business, Journalism, Music, Comm and Culture, and more) while you're making your future college choices.

For more information visit our website: http://www.iub.edu/~iudebate/