Jamie P

South Park

I am pretty late to the South Park scene just started watching it last week. I tried to about a month ago and saw the entire first season, but wasn't that impressed. My interest was sparked when I was discussing with some friends the possibility of me joining the Mormon Church and they had me watch the Mormon episode. I think that the satirical episodes are pretty funny and the pop culture relevant episodes. I am sure that lots of people here watch the show. Can you all make some suggestions of episodes based on that? All the seasons are online and viewable so I have been watching through some of them, I am to wrapped up in to other movies and tv shows to watch the entire series.

JP

I'm not surprised you didn't like it if you only watched hte first season. In my opinion eat season gets pregressively better. I agree season one was terrible. I suggest you stick with it. Some episode recommendations are "chef returns" "the coon" "make love not warcraft," and "fatbeard"

I'm not a big South Park fan. It's a bit too coarse for my taste.

That being said, I absolutely love Season 12, Episode 12: About Last Night. It is about what "really" happened in the election between Obama and McCain. I have used that in class to discuss both political satire AND the role of media in influencing political campaigns.

Since my husband is a World of Warcraft junkie, I also have a special place in my heart for Season 10, Episode 8: Make Love Not Warcraft. "How do you kill that which has no life?"

• Upvote 1

the music they played every time they bounced around was ridiculous funny.

Seconded. I think this season has been pretty good so far.

if the bigotry in this thread would have been directed at some other minority group that has been historically oppressed, i think the response probably would have been different from "hurr durr more jokes." frankly, i'm disappointed. keep preaching open-mindedness and acceptance.

from enterprise, no less!

and that could go on for a while. look, i'm not even necessarily against making jokes/saying things made in this thread. they're funny, true, semi-offensive, etc. just apply the standard equally. if making fun of a racial or sexual minority is not ok, making fun of a cultural/religious minority isn't.

i'm sincerely confused as to how the sand got in your vagina in this thread, and equally confused as to what the post quoting my post from forever ago is doing linked here

I'd like to point out that if you didn't interpret that post as being totally ironic, you're a massive idiot.

He knows, i think what he is trying to say is that everyone has the capacity to defend and defy any sort of racial or sexual discrimination, yet everyone he linked in that post was one of the people popping off the Mormon jokes the second this thread started.

In my opinion, "All about the Mormons" was a good episode that showed how, even though the faith itself seems strange and wacked out of reality, theres no need to discriminate the people independently.

And seriously, criticizing someone for saying "faggot" and than making a few southpark jokes isn't really the most hypocritical thing in the world.

The only major difference between the two are instead of magic undies, you have massive child-molestation.

... marrying 12 year olds isnt molestation?

i'm sincerely confused as to how the sand got in your vagina in this thread, and equally confused as to what the post quoting my post from forever ago is doing linked here

no sand here. i'm not saying the jokes don't have a place, but just pointing out that such jokes made towards other minority groups are received with people really getting uptight.

I'd like to point out that if you didn't interpret that post as being totally ironic, you're a massive idiot.

i'm not criticizing your use of the word faggot. the irony you use in that past is criticizing homophobia, something that's no different than bigotry.

criticizing someone for saying "faggot" and than making a few southpark jokes isn't really the most hypocritical thing in the world.

i think the massive child molestation comment is about on the same level.

look, it's fine to make jokes about things. just realize that when jokes are made at the expense of some minority, all minorities are fair game. will someone start making some jokes about the gay community now? what about jokes about black stereotypes?

Favorite quotes:

Cartman: Do I want to do it? Does the pope help pedophiles get away with their crimes?

Cartman: Is that something I'd want to do? Is the Pope Catholic and making the world safe for pedophiles?

no sand here. i'm not saying the jokes don't have a place, but just pointing out that such jokes made towards other minority groups are received with people really getting uptight.

i'm not criticizing your use of the word faggot. the irony you use in that past is criticizing homophobia, something that's no different than bigotry.

i think the massive child molestation comment is about on the same level.

look, it's fine to make jokes about things. just realize that when jokes are made at the expense of some minority, all minorities are fair game. will someone start making some jokes about the gay community now? what about jokes about black stereotypes?

Pardon me, but is this the real Gary Busey, by chance?

from enterprise, no less!

and that could go on for a while. look, i'm not even necessarily against making jokes/saying things made in this thread. they're funny, true, semi-offensive, etc. just apply the standard equally. if making fun of a racial or sexual minority is not ok, making fun of a cultural/religious minority isn't.

My comment meant this is a thread about South Park...and no one would give a shit in here.

That's asinine. I can't help but getting it up for other guys, but a mormon can certainly choose to be a mormon. Its there that the breakdown between what you should and shouldn't make fun of appears.

And don't even try to argue with me-- that would totally justify making Terry Schiavo or Helen Keller jokes as well.

That's asinine. I can't help but getting it up for other guys, but a mormon can certainly choose to be a mormon. Its there that the breakdown between what you should and shouldn't make fun of appears.

And don't even try to argue with me-- that would totally justify making Terry Schiavo or Helen Keller jokes as well.

so there's no element of culture or ethnic heritage involved?

"hey, jews, y'all chose to be jews, so don't get so upset about holocaust jokes!" seems to be the only rational response to that.