Owen lol

Mac vs. PC?

I have been a Mac user literally all my life, and by no means do I hate PCs. Recently, I haven't been able to justify buying another Mac as a laptop. 0 upgrade capability, tends to become more outdated faster, and costs 3x as much as a PC with the same specification. But hey, they look nice :/

I'm curious as to what the rest of the community thinks of the competing systems.

i always tend towards apple laptops because of the exceptional build quality and customer service. also of all the laptops i have taken apart they offer the cleanest setups which makes replacing parts (upgrading?) easy. however lenovo is also good personnally i'd just buy a netbook and a desktop for the same price hmm those are my thoughts

I've been a Mac user for most of my life. The customer service is second to none. Plus, all of my friends that use PCs constantly bitch about the slow OS, unpredictable freezing screens, and viruses.

But then again, I haven't heavily used a PC in quite awhile, so my opinion is biased.

I've been a Mac user for most of my life. The customer service is second to none. Plus, all of my friends that use PCs constantly bitch about the slow OS, unpredictable freezing screens, and viruses.

But then again, I haven't heavily used a PC in quite awhile, so my opinion is biased.

"...the slow OS, unpredictable freezing screens, and viruses." No, no one said that except the writer for a Mac commercial.

Aside from that, anything under OSX 10.3.9 can get slow as hell, and Powerbooks and Mini Macs will tend to as well, though PBG4s have the tradeoff of being like the easiest builds to take apart. It took me maybe 10 minutes to switch out monitors for mine.

the gaming deficiency kills me, because sometimes I want to play a game not put out by Blizzard.

Steam's officially porting to Apple soon, not sure when.

I would say that the best solution would be a computer triple booting mac os x, windows 7, and some sort of linux os. That way you can do almost everything you would need to.

• Upvote 1

"...the slow OS, unpredictable freezing screens, and viruses." No, no one said that except the writer for a Mac commercial.

I still get BSOD in Windows 7 at least once a week (usually when trying to use iTunes, Chrome, or Firefox and a game). That's not as often as I got it under Vista, but still far more often than I crash my MacBook (about once every 1.5-2 months).

I still get BSOD in Windows 7 at least once a week (usually when trying to use iTunes, Chrome, or Firefox and a game). That's not as often as I got it under Vista, but still far more often than I crash my MacBook (about once every 1.5-2 months).

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it just doesn't sound like something someone would say.

"How's the computer?"

"Oh man it sucks, the operating system is so slow, and there all these viruses, and my computer will lock up at unpredictable intervals."

I've been running Windows 7 since December and the only lockups I've had so far occur exclusively inside programs, like when I'm doing a particularly large render in SketchUp or just getting into a game after a cold boot.

Otherwise, it doesn't run slowly unless I have too many big apps (TF2/SketchUp) going, and it doesn't lock up.

wow windows sucks.

my intel core 2 duo 2.0 ghz with 3 gb of ddr2 667 ram could barely keep vista and a recording program running without either overheating or freezing.

while ive never had issues with viruses, and true lockups/bsod were rare, i did have several boot failures.

I could watch about 1 hr worth of flash video before the processor got too hot.

--

i ran linux Ubuntu 9.10 for about a week: no heat issues, even when watching videos. Would have stayed with ubuntu if it didn't mean buying new DAW hardware for the studio.

ive been running osx10.5.6 on my same dell for about a day now. last night i recorded 12 tracks at a time, in 96hrz @ 24 bit in logic pro 9. i even used plugins and effects. sure, i have to -f boot, wait for the hd to stop spinning, function+ESC then tap the power button to the OS shows up, but thats more reliable than windows!

so far no freezes or overheats.

I'm a long term PC user who recently switched to Mac, kinda not by choice.

Uhm, I prefer my Mac, at this point. But it also cost about twice as much as the PCs I was getting.

In general I know zero about computers, and my laptops get a lot of heavy use. One of the things I like about the mac is that it operates as well as when it was new, my PCs got progressively slower. I figure if I knew something about computers, I could fix that issue. So, basically macs work really well with little maintenance. That may also be true if you spent this much money on a PC (like if you got a sony, or whatever)

In general I know zero about computers, and my laptops get a lot of heavy use. One of the things I like about the mac is that it operates as well as when it was new, my PCs got progressively slower. I figure if I knew something about computers, I could fix that issue. So, basically macs work really well with little maintenance. That may also be true if you spent this much money on a PC (like if you got a sony, or whatever)

Nothing special about Mac parts, you're pretty much paying for the EULA for the Operating System.

Mac OS, on the other hand, is special in that is a UNIX based operating system that is soft on the eyes, so easy my mom can use it, and not confusing when you take a look on the inside.

On a side note, I had to install a new HD on my work Mac Pro 2006 quad core xeon 2.66. The physical architecture of this machine is magnificent.

bump

Apparently, there seems to be terrible issues regarding playability. Running steam on a mac with terrible frameskip just ruins the games (try playing TF2 with all the stuttering):

http://news.metaparadigma.de/macos-valves-steam-platform-barely-playable-on-macs-3468/

Combined with limited hardware/customization (shitty video cards come to mind), Macs truly suck for steam (or gaming in general).

For those interested, TF2 has come out for the Mac (it isn't nearly as good as on the PC)

This release is great for us PC gamers (more easy wins)

Edited by thisissparta
  • Downvote 1

The main issue is that PCs are much more open to private businesses than Macs. This means that there are countless models of windows-running computers and laptops, whilst Apple manufactures its own brand and nothing else. With Mac, what you see is what you get, and as a result many PCs fall below the "standard" Mac quality. However, there are just as many PCs that are better (and still cheaper) than most of what apple sells. I myself purchased a new laptop with windows 7 just a few months ago, and it is easily better than any apple computer that I've ever used. (Granted, I haven't used EVERY apple computer there is.)

BUT, this also means that your PC will come with bullshit add-ons that the manufacturers put on the computer in exchange for payments from other companies. I've managed to uninstall most of them, but Norton Security STILL won't stop spamming me.

when it comes to laptops, you cant beat a macbook pro. sure, i could build one with similar parts, even a better MoBo. but the stability for pro applications, such as logic pro or final cut studio pro is unmatched.

when it comes to laptops, you cant beat a macbook pro. sure, i could build one with similar parts, even a better MoBo. but the stability for pro applications, such as logic pro or final cut studio pro is unmatched.

I'm not going to lie. Windows Movie Maker is the most unstable piece of shit I have ever used. That's why I use sony vegas pro 9. It has never crashed for me (my computer is a xps m1330).

My dad is in the computer business, so most of my information about this debate comes from him. In the most simple sense, we agree that a Mac is good for artistic/musical works, while PC is a more business oriented system. My brother - who is into game design - loves using the Macs at his school and at his camp for game design. I'm interested in writing, a kajillion Word documents, and using my computer for organization purposes (Oh, and The Sims 3...). I like my PC.

I have to admit that old Windows versions can be a pile of crap. Vista had so many problems - it gave my dad plenty of work, but plenty of frustration with it. My Windows XP takes a good several minutes to load Sims 2, and the Internet, even if not at the same time.

Windows 7 is my baby. Right now, I have Sims 3 running in the background, and the pages on my Internet Explorer load at lightning speed (Sims 3 is a resource stealer, and yet even still...) The Mac's toggles between programs are utilized by the Windows 7, and no, my laptop has not crashed.

Comparatively, I used Macs at my school for Music Tech. It was probably related to school connection, but those laptops were the slowest pieces of shit that never did anything right. I wouldn't even be hooked onto the internet, and it would take a good several minutes to load up a one-minute GarageBand piece. It also would fail to save my work in a timely manner, or even respond to my mouse or clicks.

I do have to admit, the regular Macs (not laptops) for Photoshop were pretty good. Great color, flexible movement, and it did look flashier. When I got Photoshop for my Dell, it was not the same.

Again, though, Macs are better for artistic/musical purposes. I give props to them for that, and I do reccommend my brother getting a Mac for whatever game design programs worked on the system. Me? Not interested.

And I like the virus debate. Do you know why Macs don't get any viruses? Because no one wants to make a virus for the Mac. Burn.

Fail.

I've been using it since I was eight; it's kinda hard to give up on something after 10 years.

I already had to give up Outlook Express; don't take away my IE!

If you're blue screening once a week, you're doing something terribly, terribly long. This seems like less an OS error and more a user error (no offense).

I'm a creature of habit to an extent, which is why I prefer PC's over Macs. Frankly, customization is a great feature. I also like spending maybe 1/3 of the dollars for a system of equal performance.

I will call BS on the so-called superb nature of Apple customer service, however. I work for a school department that does Mac service work, and there are way too many instances where the catch-all solution given by Mac is either a reformat or replacement computer. The reason this is devastating is precisely because there isn't an alternative competitive hard drive or motherboard manufacturer for particular models, which makes repair costs even worse.