Mister Sulu

ITT: You tell me what to put in my Netflix queue, and I give you +rep.

So, I recently decided to get with the times and open a Netflix account. I like movies, but I don't know as much as a large and concentrated group of other smart(er) people. Thus, you should suggest some of the movies I need in my Netflix queue. I have Netflix on my Xbox as well, so anything I can throw in my 'Instant Queue' gets extra appreciation.

The thread title indicates +Rep, and that's true conditionally: You only get +rep if you're not Nathan_Debate. If the movie you suggest sucks, I'll -rep you sometime in the future.

GO!

Synecdoche, New York and Punch-Drunk Love are both in my instant queue, so they'll be watched at least by the end of the week. I'll get around to Dexter at some point, but right now I'm working my way through Weeds (Seasons 1-3) on the Xbox, and then I'll be watching Mad Men seasons 1 and 2 on DVD once I get to that point in my queue, so it may take me a while to get to both Dexter and Entourage. Liking everything so far, though.

There's really no excuse for some of the fantastic movies and TV shows I haven't seen--but I'm getting around to it.

Layer Cake

Employee of the Month (the Matt Dillon one, NOT the Dane Cook one)

Pan's Labyrinth

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Also pick some Hitchcock you've never seen (North By Northwest, The Birds, Psycho, Rear Window, Foreign Correspondent, etc)

And some classic Britcoms (Blackadder, Coupling, Monty Python, A Bit of Fry and Laurie, etc.)

Edited by Fox On Socks
  • Upvote 1

Layer Cake

Employee of the Month (the Matt Dillon one, NOT the Dane Cook one)

Pan's Labyrinth

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Also pick some Hitchcock you've never seen (North By Northwest, The Birds, Psycho, Rear Window, etc)

And some classic Britcoms (Blackadder, Coupling, Monty Python, A Bit of Fry and Laurie, etc.)

You took my movie =/

Temple Grandin (It's not on Netflix yet, but it's getting there soon)

Up In The Air

*The Invention of Lying

A Clockwork Orange

*Dr. Strangelove (Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb)

*Once

Big Fish

Munich

Babel

Kiki's Delivery Service

Valkyrie

*Spirited Away

Sideways

*Persepolis

Lost in Translation

The Lives of Others

Man on Wire

*Half Nelson

Howl's Moving Castle

* = Watch first

Edited by mdawgig
  • Upvote 2

i would highly recommend Weeds you can watch them all instantly or have them sent to you i most def expect pos rep for this

Pulp Fiction

Dark City

Akira

all of BSG

all of Firefly and Serenity

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This.

It's like Fox enjoys cancelling good shows.

In that vein, if you haven't seen these already, Arrested Development, Sports Nights, and Pushing Daisies.

Also:

Children of Men

American History X

Election

In The Loop

Planet Earth

Smart People

The Prestige

City of God (Ciudad de Deus)

Something by the Coen Bros. (Fargo, Hudsucker Proxy, O Brother Where Art Thou, The Big Lebowski, Burn After Reading, etc.)

Lord of War

Mr. Brooks

Edited by Fox On Socks
  • Upvote 1

Dark City

all of Firefly and Serenity

Probably the best suggestions ever made.

EDIT: And Sin City.

Edited by bleachedneon367
  • Upvote 1

@BReid

1) Thats just silly.

2) Apparently the phrase "debate community" is meaningless in Kansas--or at least the part of Kansas you are in.

Why do you have the right to verbally attack or chastise me? Whats your role in otherizing me? Are your claims to protect "the other" genuine? If so, why have I become a punching bag? No one and I mean no one deserves the verbal treatment I've received for just sharing my views, trying to learn, and helping some other debaters out.

There are some people on here who don't agree with my politics--and as a fellow human being I salute you--but that doesn't mean you should lose your basic RESPECT in conversations (online or off). Perhaps the second best thing about debate is that we can have profound disagreements....and still show others basic respect in conversation. I'm not sure why you've sacrificed that basic principle.

If I have at any time insulted you or not shown you (or any others on this site) dignity and respect, I am truly sorry. I hope you can forgive me.

I hope we can live in a dignified civil discourse. I've extended my hand in attempting to maintain this "virtual community" and I'd hope you would do the same.

Edited by nathan_debate
  • Downvote 3

Charlie Wilson's War

Forrest Gump

Groundhog Day

13 Days

Mr. Brooks

The Royal Tenenbaums

Agatha Christie's Poirot Murder Mysteries

@BReid

1) Thats just silly.

2) Apparently the phrase "debate community" is meaningless in Kansas--or at least the part of Kansas you are in.

Why do you have the right to verbally attack or chastise me? Whats your role in otherizing me? Are your claims to protect "the other" genuine? If so, why have I become a punching bag? No one and I mean no one deserves the verbal treatment I've received for just sharing my views, trying to learn, and helping some other debaters out.

There are some people on here who don't agree with my politics--and as a fellow human being I salute you--but that doesn't mean you should lose your basic RESPECT in conversations (online or off). Perhaps the second best thing about debate is that we can have profound disagreements....and still show others basic respect in conversation. I'm not sure why you've sacrificed that basic principle.

If I have at any time insulted you or not shown you (or any others on this site) dignity and respect, I am truly sorry. I hope you can forgive me.

I hope we can live in a dignified civil discourse. I've extended my hand in attempting to maintain this "virtual community" and I'd hope you would do the same.

are you overreacting or am i missing the inside joke?

• Upvote 1

I don't know what Ben meant to do. I don't know if he meant to hurt someones feelings or had some other intent.

Ben's comment from my perspective seems like an attempt to exclude me from conversation and community.

Whatever his intent, I feel that those who are in fact excluding or insulting people on here are destroying our community.

The world is hard enough, debaters don't need to make it harder by playing petty in/out group games--which we as a community at least in our words seem to take a stand against. We need to be building bridges in our community--not destroying them (whether intentional or not).