Sign in to follow this  
czmatthewsdeb8

New Hope

Has anyone had to debate the NEW HOPE AFF?

The U.S. federal government will substantially increase social services for persons living in poverty in order to enable their entry into the private workforce. These services will include comprehensive child care, health care, job training, and job placement, following the model of the New Hope program as demonstrated in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

I have been having issues helping my students search for actual evidence against the case - I am a new coach.....so I don't know all of your tricks yet :)

Zachary

Most of your case evidence, (disadvantage links, etc) on child care, healthcare, job training, and job placement probably still applies. Unless this program is somehow revolutionary, a politics-and-case strategy is fine.

Also, they're reading States counterplan solvency for you - take advantage of it. All the reasons it's worked in Milwaukee are reasons local governments solve the case.

Depending on what advantages they claim health care is probably the easiest to find disads/case turns for.

Using the above strategy--the counterplan would do everything but health care.

Another alternative might be to run the states counterplan--it seems to me you have empirical solvency on your side--because locals have already proven effective at solving the problem. Find net benefits based off federal government action bad.

You might also check out the advantage frontlines from Michigan which are at the open evidence project (and I've included in the link.)

Edited by nathan_debate

Sign in to follow this