SPREZZIDENT

tournament time!!!!!!!!

Well, just off the top of my head, I'd say seeding Gonzaga as only a No. 8 has me scratching my head. The team just ahead of them in the Top 25 (Vanderbilt) got a No. 4 seed, and the three teams just behind the Bulldogs in the rankings are all seeded higher in the tournament bracket (Texas A&M is a No. 5, Richmond is a No. 7, and Xavier is a No. 6). Gonzaga, let's not forget, only lost to No. 5 seed Michigan State by 4 at East Lansing, and beat No. 4 seed Wisconsin (by 13)...

using the ap top 25 polls is a pretty bad criterion, those people never have any clue of what they're doing.

granted the rpi also provides an incomplete picture..

Notice me not complaining about MSU's seeding. Its because seeding doesnt matter. You gotta beat a #1 seed sometime if youre gonna win.

using the ap top 25 polls is a pretty bad criterion, those people never have any clue of what they're doing.
HAH! You fell into my sly trap, Chris! TURN: I used the AP poll because Gonzaga is ranked EVEN HIGHER in the ESPN/Coaches Poll, and I didn't want anyone saying they were ranked too highly for my argument to have any merit. So, now your position is that the COACHES don't know who the good teams are either? ;)

HAH! You fell into my sly trap, Chris! TURN: I used the AP poll because Gonzaga is ranked EVEN HIGHER in the ESPN/Coaches Poll, and I didn't want anyone saying they were ranked too highly for my argument to have any merit. So, now your position is that the COACHES don't know who the good teams are either? ;)

haha, yes. the coaches poll is even worse than the ap poll.

where you REALLY need to look are offensive and defensive efficiencies adjusted to tempo, and corresponding offensive and defensive strength of schedules.

:)

• Upvote 1

haha, yes. the coaches poll is even worse than the ap poll.

where you REALLY need to look are offensive and defensive efficiencies adjusted to tempo, and corresponding offensive and defensive strength of schedules.

:)

Something like this. Seriously, Gonzaga hasnt done much this year. If they werent named Gonzaga they might have struggled to even get in the field. I think St Marys is the best team out of the WCC... and I kinda wish Gonzaga and St Marys could switch because St Marys could absolutely beat Syracuse.

You're blind...we're 2-1 against St. Marys and have also beaten them by 20 points (which should makes their performance against us in the conference tournament moot). They played us with an injured Bouldin and missing our best bench player.

The only thing thats a bigger joke than St. Mary's is their non-conference schedule.

Something like this. Seriously, Gonzaga hasnt done much this year. If they werent named Gonzaga they might have struggled to even get in the field. I think St Marys is the best team out of the WCC... and I kinda wish Gonzaga and St Marys could switch because St Marys could absolutely beat Syracuse.

http://sports.espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/tag/_/name/5-things-to-lovehate

4. Oh, and those No. 8 seeds. This is partially covered in note No. 1 about the South, but look at these No. 8 seeds: California, Texas, UNLV and ... Gonzaga? One of these things is not like the other. Hint: It's Gonzaga. Sure, the Bulldogs were badly beaten in their conference title game, thus making them an at-large bid at the committee's mercy. Sure, as with the bubble teams left out of the tournament, it's hard to feel too bad for any team that didn't handle its business in the closing stretches of the season. But Gonzaga, with an RPI of 36 and a nonconference record of 12-3 seems insanely underseeded here. That feeling is accentuated when you look at its peers on the No. 8 line. What makes the seeding even worse is that because the committee thought Duke deserved a higher No. 1 seed than Syracuse, the Dukies drew Cal, by far the most overseeded of the No. 8s, while the Cuse will play a talented, deep, athletic Bulldogs team led by an experienced tournament guard in Matt Bouldin. (Not to mention that Kansas might get UNLV and Kentucky could play a lifeless but undeniably talented Texas team.) Ouch.

Also, Quality wins Outside a two loss conference record:

Wisconsin, Cincinnati, (at) Illinois, (at) Memphis, Oklahoma, Davidson.

Miami went 2-1 against VT. Louisville swept Cuse. Who are the better teams?

St Marys nonconf wasnt that great... but they did beat 3 tournament teams in the nonconf and have just as many top 50 wins without the terrible losses that Gonzaga has. Their worst loss is probably USC... and they were playing pretty damn well when St Marys ran into them. I really don't have anything against Gonzaga... I'm just extremely underwhelmed by what this years squad has done.

I'm just saying that if teams in the WCC played St. Mary's as hard as they played Gonzaga (We set home attendance records for other teams in the WCC almost every road game) they would've had at least 6 losses in the WCC.

Plus, their best player looks like this

OmarSamhan01.jpg

I'm just saying that if teams in the WCC played St. Mary's as hard as they played Gonzaga (We set home attendance records for other teams in the WCC almost every road game) they would've had at least 6 losses in the WCC.

Plus, their best player looks like this

OmarSamhan01.jpg

NBA Champ Adam Morrison?

if you don't know what a statistic formula entails, it's really stupid to rely on it. the rpi formula has several arbitrarily decided aspects. it's a disgusting oversimplification of "strength of schedule" determined entirely upon winning percentages which is far from a good measure of how good a team has actually been. i haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate that people watch espn prop up this stat and cite it as a foundation for why teams should be seeded or included in the tournament. whether it does or does not play a role in the process is irrelevant--it shouldn't, and arguments for different seedings that rest on it are really really stupid. just look at the paragraph cited earlier from espn--"gonzaga's 36 rpi says it's underseeded at 8" blah blah "california, one of the overseeded eight seeds"--CALIFORNIA'S RPI IS IN THE TOP 20. you can't pretend that away. it's a crap statistic, just like the "assistant coaches do it because real coaches don't have time" coaches poll and the "the media knows what they're doing, riiight?" ap poll.

if you don't know what a statistic formula entails, it's really stupid to rely on it. the rpi formula has several arbitrarily decided aspects. it's a disgusting oversimplification of "strength of schedule" determined entirely upon winning percentages which is far from a good measure of how good a team has actually been. i haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate that people watch espn prop up this stat and cite it as a foundation for why teams should be seeded or included in the tournament. whether it does or does not play a role in the process is irrelevant--it shouldn't, and arguments for different seedings that rest on it are really really stupid. just look at the paragraph cited earlier from espn--"gonzaga's 36 rpi says it's underseeded at 8" blah blah "california, one of the overseeded eight seeds"--CALIFORNIA'S RPI IS IN THE TOP 20. you can't pretend that away. it's a crap statistic, just like the "assistant coaches do it because real coaches don't have time" coaches poll and the "the media knows what they're doing, riiight?" ap poll.

I know what a statistical formula entails, I just dont like it when sports discussions become a comparison of them. Statistics can be misleading and loaded, but as the poet once said "Ball dont lie"

The best thing about college basketball is the massive playoff system. If Gonzaga and Cal are overseeded itll show. If someone is underseeded itll show. No team that didnt make the field has a realistic shot at a national championship, so why dont we all watch the 35 or so best teams and another 30 also rans play some basketball and settle it ON THE COURT.

i agree with your sentiment, but i hold the people that don't to a higher standard for discussions on seeding than the blind rpi and non con win loss percentage comparison

i agree with your sentiment, but i hold the people that don't to a higher standard for discussions on seeding than the blind rpi and non con win loss percentage comparison

I agree with you... theres a reason Vegas uses kenpom and Sagarin to create their spreads. That said, I dont know that the committee is even allowed to use those models because they use margin of victory and the NCAA kinda frowns on using MOV in anything. So when talking about seeding and whos in/out, I dont know if theres a better way.

But it wont stop me from betting HUGE against florida, gonzaga, and new mexico.

Edited by gopal

i'm almost more afraid of florida than kansas state, as someone who's rooting for byu to go to the final four, but i think it's just a nerves thing..hard to get nervous about duke playing a 16, knock on wood

fucking yahoo for freezing on chrome before i can do bracket adj. fucking yahoo. fucking yahoo.

I mustve been drunk when deciding my Crossx bracket, becuase I had Vanderbilt in the Elite 8

They are a suck.