db8er4nyc

Health Care

I'm a novice and this whole health care issue was really confusing me.

1. Is America able to have universal health care? Why or why not?

2. Why is it so crucial in Obama's eyes?

3. is it just a matter of political capital...?

Hopefully, I'll be understand health care disads one day.

Thanks Guys!

well, this is all debatable. There are two versions of the health care disad. The first is health care good - this says health care will pass now, but the plan is unpopular and drains Obama's political capital. Obama won't have enough political capital left post-plan to pass health care, and somehow the lack of health care causes extinction. There can be other internal links (e.g. conservative democrats instead of Obama pol cap), but that's the basic disad.

The second version is health care bad:

Health care won't pass now, because Obama doesn't have enough political capital. The plan is popular, and will increase his political capital. Plan will give him enough pol cap to pass health care, which somehow causes extinction.

Does this clear things up, or do you still have questions?

But I still don't understand why in America, universal health care like the government isn't feasible or won't solve.

That's not necessarily relevant to the health care disad. Impacts to health care range from other agenda items to soft power to impacts directly related to the implementation of the bill. Often, the impact will be just based on the passage or non-passage of the bill, not necessarily the feasibility or solvency of universal health care. If you're looking to have a discussion about that, of course you're welcome to read those impacts or to discuss it on cross-x, but I'm not sure this is the right forum for that debate.

Good luck!

1. Yes and No. Theoretically there is nothing that prevents the United States from having basic universal health protection. However, under current economic conditions, it would have to be paid for by either much higher taxes or more deficit spending. The last time any administration openly increased taxes (Clinton 1993) it took an historic beating in the next elections. Moreover, the political power of those opposed to any further expansion of the USFG's role in health care is formidable, as Obama's plummeting poll numbers, the Tea Party Movement, Scott Brown's victory in Mass., and the town hall meeting mania all demonstrate.

2. I can only make an educated guess, but: (a) Obama would like to pass legislation that is truly historic, his "masterpiece" - Lincoln had the Emancipation Proclamation, FDR had Social Security, Truman had the Marshall Plan, etc.; (B) He really believes in it; © NHI has been a major Democratic Party objective since LBJ was President; (d) he campaigned on it, so now he's stuck with it.

3. If, by "political capital," you mean political courage combined with raw political power, the answer is "yes." However, there are specific elements of the Obama plan (i.e., the "individual mandate" - which legally requires people to buy insurance) which might be ruled unconstitutional.

• Downvote 1