DML

Floating PIKs

if there's no text

I don't think that's accurate. Plenty of critiques don't have texts.

"PIKs" are criticisms that end up solving the affirmative by doing it -- just through a different mechanism that avoids the link.

I don't think that's accurate. Plenty of critiques don't have texts.

"PIKs" are criticisms that end up solving the affirmative by doing it -- just through a different mechanism that avoids the link.

Yeah' date=' but what's a [b']floating[/b] pik?

a floating PIK is a kritik alt that does the plan minus the link. like if i were running securitization i could say something like "alt-do the plan without their security discourse."

they're probably not legit.

Generally a floating Pik or Pic refers to a cp/k that does two things; 1) It generally has no text and 2) (most of the time b/c of one) It "floats" around and when the aff says you dont solve x,y,z the neg says yes we do heres evidence and/or when the aff says you link to this the neg can get out of it.

I don't think there is 100% agreement in the community as to what it constitutes in the same way that what a "dispositional counterplan" changes ever so slightly round to round.

So: prepare to ask questions on the one hand and prepare to clarify on the other.

Also, try to get away from jargon and explain what constitutes the unfairness.

If you're neg and someone runs a floating PIK argument on you, how would you normally respond?

well the first answer could be to just not run floating PIKs. it's certainly possible for the neg to avoid characterizing the K in such a manner and still win the round.

if you are, you can usually defend floating PIKs the same way you'd defend any other argument - neg flex, test of competition, defense, etc.

if you're not reading a floating PIK and they say you are, just explain how you aren't, i.e. explain that you aren't claiming to do any part of the plan.

What exactly makes a PIC or PIK floating? I've never been sure.

I think the simplest answer is that the lack of text to the alternative (on a floating PIK) makes it easy for the neg to shift their advocacy in the block/2nr. A good example would be a case turn or a permutation answer read in the 1nc/block that gets mishandled and becomes a criticism later, that has no text but in the 2nr has a clear alternative (as in, it wasn't clear what the K was in the block, but the 2nr somehow had a K they didn't before because there's new articulation of the alternative)

Am i wrong here?

Guest svfrey

Floating PIK's advocate the entirety of the plan without a certain representation or discourse. They are the reason why the "plan text focus" affirmative framework standard is true.

What exactly makes a PIC or PIK floating? I've never been sure.

You raise the piece of paper while reading it.

• Downvote 1