Rhizome

Hey iPhone

iPhone 3G > Nexus One

/thread

I am going to line-by-line this:

1. This is a great phone if you use Google apps, but not so good at synchronizing with a desktop or laptop computer. If you are into the whole Google "cloud" thing, this is your phone. If not, well...

A few things:

A. GMail is the third most popular email client and is on track to pass hotmail as the #1 email client in 2010.

B. What are you syncing outside of contacts and emails(which you can do)? LOL. If you are having issues navigating the 'set up an email account outside of gmail' settings then...uh...you probably aren't using this phone for buisness.

Also, the iphone by no means is the business phone. That right is reserved for the blackberry.

Furthermore, it's not unreasonable to think that a cloud-based system for exchange services is unrealistic.

2. I have to wonder how much Google engineers had to do with the hardware. A nearly useless, tiny, sometimes glowing trackball? Sure, that came from the Googleplex. If Google is going to put its name on hardware, it should be hardware that makes sense.

LOL!

A. First - this is purely a HTC invention that android is running on!

B. Second - because the pearl on the blackberry is such an annoyance.... hint, it's not.

3. The Nexus One puts Google into competition with its "partners." One reason Microsoft hasn't done more in smartphones is handset makers' fears they would eventually be marginalized, as Microsoft has done to PC hardware companies. It may be inevitable, but Google is certainly making Android and its own applications at least as important as the handsets they run on. Unless Google thinks the Nexus One will be a big win--its own iPhone--and is willing to relegate other companies' Android handsets to perpetual "also ran" status, this is a bad deal.

UH.....what?

You mean by offering an update to the slower g1 and mytouch? Yes - this puts competition between users choosing between verizon and tmobile. Wait....that is already there.

This logic makes no sense: blackerberry enterprise proves.

It's bad for Android. At least the Android that everyone besides Google uses. The Nexus One will give handset makers even more incentive to take open source Android into quasi-proprietary user interfaces and applications.

No it won't.

A. That 'quasi-proprietary' software already exists.

B. The open-source nature of the g1/android is what makes it better than the iphone. Ask anyone what their beef is with the iphone and they'll say 'no open-source native apps for it (third party unsupported apps)'. Also most will wish that you can send photos via text....lol.

C. The status quo disproves as well - there are 'free versions' and then 'paid versions' of software on the android market not. Same trend will continue because of user feedback.

5. It's on T-Mobile (in the U.S.). If there is a carrier that is less well-liked than AT&T, it's T-Mobile. Or at least it would be if they had even nearly as many customers as AT&T. (T-Mobile is the #4 U.S. carrier). This is the company that, with Microsoft's help, suffered a huge data loss late last year. Some people like T-Mobile, but I mostly hear people complaining about coverage issues.

What???? I'm glad someone in the comment section said this:

T-mobile is the number 2 service in the US.

Also, with the tmobile black project they've resurfaced as the most popular carrier for the holiday season AND with google they are gaining a huge amount of ground.

If you've never hread of a sidekick you don't deserve to be writing about cell phones in the first place.

Also, I'll just let verizon and att deal with service issues.

and, it'll be on verizon and vodophone later this summer!

6. Google isn't a smartphone ecosystem company. The main reason for the iPhone's huge success is that Apple controls virtually every part of the customer experience and manages it quite well. Especially important are the Apps Store and iTunes, both as an application for managing the handset and as the world's largest music retailer.

Wow. This is exactly what open source avoids.

'Linux sucks because it doesn't control the customer'.

lol.

get outta here.

iPhone 3G > Nexus One

/thread

I am going to line-by-line this:

1. This is a great phone if you use Google apps, but not so good at synchronizing with a desktop or laptop computer. If you are into the whole Google "cloud" thing, this is your phone. If not, well...

A few things:

A. GMail is the third most popular email client and is on track to pass hotmail as the #1 email client in 2010.

B. What are you syncing outside of contacts and emails(which you can do)? LOL. If you are having issues navigating the 'set up an email account outside of gmail' settings then...uh...you probably aren't using this phone for buisness.

Also, the iphone by no means is the business phone. That right is reserved for the blackberry.

Furthermore, it's not unreasonable to think that a cloud-based system for exchange services is unrealistic.

2. I have to wonder how much Google engineers had to do with the hardware. A nearly useless, tiny, sometimes glowing trackball? Sure, that came from the Googleplex. If Google is going to put its name on hardware, it should be hardware that makes sense.

LOL!

A. First - this is purely a HTC invention that android is running on!

B. Second - because the pearl on the blackberry is such an annoyance.... hint, it's not.

3. The Nexus One puts Google into competition with its "partners." One reason Microsoft hasn't done more in smartphones is handset makers' fears they would eventually be marginalized, as Microsoft has done to PC hardware companies. It may be inevitable, but Google is certainly making Android and its own applications at least as important as the handsets they run on. Unless Google thinks the Nexus One will be a big win--its own iPhone--and is willing to relegate other companies' Android handsets to perpetual "also ran" status, this is a bad deal.

UH.....what?

You mean by offering an update to the slower g1 and mytouch? Yes - this puts competition between users choosing between verizon and tmobile. Wait....that is already there.

This logic makes no sense: blackerberry enterprise proves.

It's bad for Android. At least the Android that everyone besides Google uses. The Nexus One will give handset makers even more incentive to take open source Android into quasi-proprietary user interfaces and applications.

No it won't.

A. That 'quasi-proprietary' software already exists.

B. The open-source nature of the g1/android is what makes it better than the iphone. Ask anyone what their beef is with the iphone and they'll say 'no open-source native apps for it (third party unsupported apps)'. Also most will wish that you can send photos via text....lol.

C. The status quo disproves as well - there are 'free versions' and then 'paid versions' of software on the android market not. Same trend will continue because of user feedback.

5. It's on T-Mobile (in the U.S.). If there is a carrier that is less well-liked than AT&T, it's T-Mobile. Or at least it would be if they had even nearly as many customers as AT&T. (T-Mobile is the #4 U.S. carrier). This is the company that, with Microsoft's help, suffered a huge data loss late last year. Some people like T-Mobile, but I mostly hear people complaining about coverage issues.

What???? I'm glad someone in the comment section said this:

T-mobile is the number 2 service in the US.

Also, with the tmobile black project they've resurfaced as the most popular carrier for the holiday season AND with google they are gaining a huge amount of ground.

If you've never hread of a sidekick you don't deserve to be writing about cell phones in the first place.

Also, I'll just let verizon and att deal with service issues.

and, it'll be on verizon and vodophone later this summer!

6. Google isn't a smartphone ecosystem company. The main reason for the iPhone's huge success is that Apple controls virtually every part of the customer experience and manages it quite well. Especially important are the Apps Store and iTunes, both as an application for managing the handset and as the world's largest music retailer.

Wow. This is exactly what open source avoids.

'Linux sucks because it doesn't control the customer'.

lol.

get outta here.

Uh....the 'copter just uses wifi from the iphone....the nexus one could do the same thing...hell, ANY wifi phone with an accelerometer could.

Uh....the 'copter just uses wifi from the iphone....the nexus one could do the same thing...hell, ANY wifi phone with an accelerometer could.

I know it does. But doesn't it require some sort of app also? To use the camera, and etc.

Anyway, mostly I was hijacking thread for awesome remote copter.

Right now it looks like the Nexus phone is equivalent to better in almost all ways to the iphone (I haven't used one, so this is based on reading some tech blogs and personal friends comments) except on the level of apps. Which clearly is a matter of time.

I know it does. But doesn't it require some sort of app also? To use the camera, and etc.

Anyway, mostly I was hijacking thread for awesome remote copter.

Right now it looks like the Nexus phone is equivalent to better in almost all ways to the iphone (I haven't used one, so this is based on reading some tech blogs and personal friends comments) except on the level of apps. Which clearly is a matter of time.

especially considering Nexus apps will be open source, it wont be long till Nexus shoots past iPhone in that area

how much do you all pay per month for your iphone/droid/whatever service? at this point, $1200 more a year on cell phone service for features my laptop seems to do just fine seems prohibitive and unjustifiable. convince me that it would be an upgrade to get away from my beloved bb curve.

I've been a member of tmobile for 3 years and thusly have an owners discount and pay less than 85 a month for unlimited everything. Also, I tether my droid and laptop. I like it. Check this out though