kerpen

If You Run A Camp, Read This

Commercial messages from non-sponsors are prohibited under the terms of service you agreed to when you created your account. For sponsorship information, contact Phil Kerpen at pgk@philkerpen.com. Thanks.

• Downvote 1

Are they accessible via the site? Have they changed at all in the past 5 years?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see what was agreed to...

--mike

Edited by meshtdagn

Forum Rules

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of Debate on the Web will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Debate on the Web, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

Commercial postings, including but not limited to promotion of debate institutes and published research materials is forbidden unless expressly authorized by Debate on the Web.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of Debate on the Web reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

bolded

So, nobody can post about a camp? That does not seem limited to any user, but would encompass even a student discussing their camp...

Honestly, in the internet industry, the common business practice is to have an "Advertising" page to promote your advertising inventory... might be more effective than censoring posts after the fact...although of course that is allowed by the terms too.

--mike

Edited by meshtdagn

So, nobody can post about a camp? That does not seem limited to any user, but would encompass even a student discussing their camp...

Honestly, in the internet industry, the common business practice is to have an "Advertising" page to promote your advertising inventory... might be more effective than censoring posts after the fact...although of course that is allowed by the terms too.

--mike

Agreed, so this includes debaters speaking up about their favorite camps? or is it just for those benefiting from the advertising?

It is typical for the camps which advertise to be featured with their own thread in this WIC forum.

Agreed, so this includes debaters speaking up about their favorite camps? or is it just for those benefiting from the advertising?
Generally, Kerpen's definition of "commercial" has not included students relaying information or giving their opinion about camps they've been to or heard of. Typically the limit has been on posts from camp directors and employees/instructors. And even then, answering student questions about camps ("yes, we we will have instructor X back on staff this year") has typically been okay. But as always, Kerpen can crack down whenever he wants, and you should ask him these questions directly (he doesn't check the forums as often as he checks e-mail).

Of course, all problems can be solved by purchasing a sponsorship.

Commercial messages from non-sponsors are prohibited under the terms of service you agreed to when you created your account. For sponsorship information, contact Phil Kerpen at pgk@philkerpen.com. Thanks.

I am assuming this is to make more money to host the site, correct?

Also I believe the terms are extremely vague and up to discretion on any part. To be more specific would help or at least explain what it is actually meant by commercial messages? Does this include a student posting asking about whether a camp is going on and the response via a camp director? Does this incorporate camps posting a thread just giving info on camps? (After all I see this very limiting and making it practically useless to have the "Workshops, Institutes, and Camps" forum, seeing as this seems to be the main purpose of the forum)

Another thought, what is the goal of cross-x.com, it's not to make money certainly but I believe it was to help students achieve success in there debate careers and give outlet for communication between debaters as well as judges and coaches. Are you not limiting the access of the students to achieve success when they can't find info about camps? I have for three years looked at camps on cross-x.com because it's the only collective site to do so. This seems to defeat the goal of this website.

And lastly, if you're trying to get sponsors it might help if the sponsors have more publicity. I for one just found where the sponsors section is on the site. (for those who don't know go to directory on the top left hand side of the website toolbar) I'm just trying to be constructive in this and the Michigan posting (link) has a post from presumably a spammer from 2007 that has yet to be deleted. Of course almost no one really goes to the section of this site to notice it.

This is not to say you aren't doing a terrific job maintaining this site, I think you do a great job. I am just trying to voice my opinions about this and hope it helps.