Nonkritikal debater

I want to change the way my state debates.

My state, to say the least, is very limited in its mindset on how we all debate. Kritiks are discouraged, counterplans are rarely seen, and terminal impacts are, at best, played down. I've seen 1 CP, 1 kritikal aff, no neg Ks, few spec arguments, and few term mpx in my 2 years of debate. I want to change this, I want to apply what I learned at camp, and I want to bring back policy debate or make it go out with a bang [Pofo is taking over]. Any suggestions as to what I should do?

• Downvote 1

Could you explain that, please? No one here's on the nat circuit.

If you debate well and in the way that you learned to at camp you will begin to win and others will follow in the need to catch up.

My guess is one of the following three probably needs to happen to make that a viability:

1) more teams from Montana go to national circuit/TOC style debate institutes.

2) more judges are exposed to national circuit/TOC style arguments (although not necessarily the speed)

3) judge/coach education about how to evaluate these arguments

4) 3 of the most respected coaches make a switch toward more TOC style debate arguments (if 3 of the most respected--aka influential--coaches switch, its likely other will follow)

5) influx of newer coaching staff and more experienced judging pool

Likely the change will likely take a season or more. Someone with more historical understanding might suggest how other states changed the type of debate.

I have a friend who debates in Hamilton MT any idea how things are over there?

As as to your question.

Frame simple questions in cross-x to make your point and like what was said above make clear overviews that explain your argument. You just have to keep doing what you are and don't let judges who aren't familiar with it bring you down. You might lose a few times just because it's new to them but you'll learn how to adapt while maintaining the kind of debate you want. Also maintain respectable relationships with all your judges so you can know what you can do to get their ballot and so you don't come off as trying to one up everyone.

Good Luck :)

• Downvote 1

lol no It's a girl named Jessica shes just recently moved there.

and if you need file help pm me I save backfiles so maybe i'll have something helpful.

I'm a coach in one of those old-fashioned states - Colorado. Yes, there are some teams that are successful on both national circuit tournaments and local tournaments.

The key, I think, is to adapt what you have learned in camp to the style judges in your area are looking for. If you think a kritik would be perfect to run because it makes sense and it works as an argument, then (1) simplify it to explain it to a non-kritical judge and (2) think about adapting it as a disad or solvency argument (or whatever does work in your area).

I was one of those coaches very anti-kritik when they first came out. Mostly, it was because they were so antithetical to what I had learned "policy debate" meant. Those students who tried to ram "new-fangled" arguments down my throat usually were met with a disgusted Loss on the ballot. However, those debaters who understood my stock issues paradigm and adapted and explained themselves were highly convincing.

Trying to "force" a new style on Montana will only back-fire. A group tried that here back in 2002 and it has nearly led to the demise of CX in many parts of our state. Coaches became angry at students who thought they "knew more" than experienced coaches with years of experience and higher degrees of education.

As in any type of communication and persuasion, YOU MUST KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE. Make your arguments palatable to the judges you meet and begin the revolution with baby steps.

as said above, take baby steps to change. Read a generic counterplan such as States, or some easy to understand kritik such as capitalism, statism, or biopower. If necessary, spend a minute giving an overview that simply explains what you are saying (assuming you have the time). Maybe read a little bit faster than the normal pace.

Start by reading counterplans with a net benefit that has a terminal impact.

If your judges have that much of a bias against certain arguments then you should tread lightly - maybe run these arguments but don't go for them at first.

Still, even if the judge doesn't like the argument, if you really win it you should win the debate.

I would read capitalism, btw.

If your judges start to understand your positions and vote on them, then other kids will see they're being beaten by them and they'll try to do what you're doing in order to win.

Don't be abusive though. In Montana I'd stick with like 3 off.

debating in idaho in high school it was effective for me to frame kritiks as case turns in front of judges who were less then receptive to them. rather than reading an alternative and focusing on impact scenarios i'd turn solvency due to an alternative causality for the harms. this way you get to frame your impacts in minor terms and are not as susceptible to getting bogged down and pigeon-holed in the impact (economic and state security) and agency/framework (hippies vs the government) debates that these judges may have bias towards. focus on particular arguments and evidence they make in the one ac and turn each independently - your links go on the advantages flow and your impacts on the solvency flow. so long as you frame your argument in terms of the one ac presented you afford yourself better ground on which to mediate your argument and avoid playing into any games that most teams would usually use to take advantage of you.

Edited by Papa Smurf