TheScuSpeaks

Sherlock Holmes

Just a general comment? I have read most of them... and have to admit they are a pretty damn fun to read.

Look, if you are a Holmes purist you won't like, obviously. From the previews you can know that.

But if you love steampunk detective noir stories that star a hypergenius who is fundamentally dysfunctional, you won't be disappointed.

Look, if you are a Holmes purist you won't like, obviously. From the previews you can know that.

But if you love steampunk detective noir stories that star a hypergenius who is fundamentally dysfunctional, you won't be disappointed.

This.

Posting my review on the blog today/tomorrow. Spoiler: Tremendously enjoyed it.

I enjoyed it, though RDJ only had to act for about half of it (he played himself--asshole substance abuser who needs mental simulation to have any motivation--for much of the first half). But it was certainly not the Holmes (or Watson) I know from the books. He's much more Greg House than Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Still entertaining.

I am not a purist at all but and i enjoyed the film for what it was. I will start off by saying the plot is terrible. Seemed at times to be a bad version of da vinci code but not as interesting or we thought out. That being said the cinematography was amazing. The camera shots through different things are very creative as well as the camera movements. The dialogue is great and the acting only supports the great dialogue. The mis en scene is academy award worthy and action scenes are all very well done.

In conclusion I liked it for everything except the plot which is kinda important but in debate terms advs of everythingelse OW DA of lack of plot.

I dunno, the plot was a James Bond plot.

And to Ian, the House thing is interesting, because that is what I have been saying (in a way). House was clearly inspired by Sherlock Holmes. Holmes is, or becomes, if you remember, exactly how you described him/RDJ, "asshole substance abuser who needs mental simulation to have any motivation." But I agree, I think Holmes himself, but particularly the Holmes/Watson relationship was definitely lifted from the House/Wilson relationship. So, Sherlock Holmes books inspire House, and House helps inspire re-interpreted Sherlock Holmes movie.

Still, while the House/Wilson relationship was used, the rest really is pure Sherlock Holmes. The arrogance, the ego, the instability except for with a case, the messiness and bizarre experiments.

Clearly the action stuff is not in the books and stories, but the character of Sherlock Holmes may be the finest representation of the written works yet achieved in film. And while the action may not be in the other movies, in the stories Holmes is depicted as a master boxer, a person who carries guns, a master as singlestick, and martial arts, etc.

Edited by TheScuSpeaks

The fight sequences were fairly cool. The shipyard scene was cool. It wasn't that great. RDJ is one of the two best actors of our time and it doesn't shine in this movie. I thought that Jude Law probably did a better job than RDJ, which is sad. Some of the characters, like the antagonist, were not very well developed. He felt very very superficial to me. It would have been witty if he had been superficial intentionally but I don't think that it was intentional. Just a few thoughts. Jamie

on the whole "purists wouldn't like it thing,"

I saw the movie with my grandpa, who loved reading the original sherlock books and was definitely a sherlock "purist". He absolutely loved the movie.

on the whole "purists wouldn't like it thing,"

I saw the movie with my grandpa, who loved reading the original sherlock books and was definitely a sherlock "purist". He absolutely loved the movie.

yeah, but did he also like snatch?

i liked sherlock holmes. i thought it was neat and had funny parts that made me laugh. also it was cool to see holmes fuck that dude up boxing.

I had a good time at this movie as long as I sort of put "this is Sherlock Holmes" in the back of my head. As a swashbuckling adventure set in Victorian London, it was decent. I've associated Holmes with more class and snobbery, and it was difficult to separate former screen images of him from this one. As long as no one called him Sherlock, it was great.