Sign in to follow this  
Ballerhybridspecial

Impacts

Is there any difference between linear or systemic impact?

how can you effectively make your impact break a "tie" with another impact

that you don't claim?

any good tips on impact cal?

thx

I've always been under the impression they're the same in that they're both occurring in the status quo.

If you can elaborate a little more on your second question I might be more helpful.

Impact calc is all about magnitude, timeframe, and probability. Think of each of these as internal links into winning within a utilitarian framework. In the 2ar or 2nr respectively you need to be able to decide which of these three things you're winning on. Hopefully you have at least one. Then you need to talk about why this way of evaluating the round is best. For instance you might say timeframe is more important than magnitude because impacts with long timeframes are more likely to be solved by the time they would be triggered.

I've always been under the impression they're the same in that they're both occurring in the status quo.

If you can elaborate a little more on your second question I might be more helpful.

Impact calc is all about magnitude, timeframe, and probability. Think of each of these as internal links into winning within a utilitarian framework. In the 2ar or 2nr respectively you need to be able to decide which of these three things you're winning on. Hopefully you have at least one. Then you need to talk about why this way of evaluating the round is best. For instance you might say timeframe is more important than magnitude because impacts with long timeframes are more likely to be solved by the time they would be triggered.

Ya I guess, I could see that

usually the judge would say that a certain impact broke an impact "tie" in which the DA and the aff had competing impacts even though I read a different scenario then they did, but I guess how do you deal with that

ya that's what I usually do, but would you recommend going for one subpoint or all of them, and just out of curiousity would you do the same for kritical stuff our would it have to be different.

Ya I guess, I could see that

usually the judge would say that a certain impact broke an impact "tie" in which the DA and the aff had competing impacts even though I read a different scenario then they did, but I guess how do you deal with that

ya that's what I usually do, but would you recommend going for one subpoint or all of them, and just out of curiousity would you do the same for kritical stuff our would it have to be different.

well from what it seems to me the tie should be broken at the internal link. If the impacts are essentially the same you need to say how you have better probability of triggering it (or timeframe but probability seems more common)

you should be able to know which ones you're winning and go for as many of them as you can. If you're only winning on probability you just need to spend more time explaining how that outweighs. If you're winning timeframe and magnitude then I'd say go for both. It's all dependent on the round.

Kritikal arguments are very different on impact calc generally because kritikal impacts will never win on something like timeframe or magnitude. If you want to go down the route of comparing the impacts of both then you want to go for probability: if the impacts are systemic that means there's a 100% chance of them happening. But, good kritiks generally attempt to turn case, and so you should devote time to winning the turns case rather than accepting their impacts and doing impact calc based off of it.