Jamie P

Saw it at midnight, thought it was pretty terrible. The movie was visually epic, unquestionably. There isn't a 3d movie out that has done anything CLOSE to what Cameron did with this flick. There were only 3 or 4 times that there was any shadowing which is common place in 3d flicks. Very sad that the flick absent the visuals wasn't any good at all. Great develpment and environment for the peoples of Pandora. Thoughts?

Jamie

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

To those who liked it, can you elaborate? I'm not really a James Cameron fan (I certainly won't see a movie just because he directed it, contrary to what the ads think). Is it more like The Matrix (interesting, but not great, story with great visuals) or would it be a really good movie even without the graphics?

It would be a great movie without the graphics, the main reason is just the sheer originality of the planet and the people, it's not a ripoff from a book or a sequel like every other movie that seems to come out lately. I also really enjoyed the story and the way it develops, the length of the movie really allows Cameron to make it just completely epic, you actually feel like the world is changing during the movie, and the scenes don't seemed rushed like a lot of movies that try to tackle a lot. Also the acting is very good, I was pleasantly surprised with how well the motion capture they used for filming still allows all the emotions of the actors to be displayed.

Also just have to say that the 3D was way different than anything I've seen before, it doesn't feel cartoonish with something jumping out at you once in a while, rather everything on the screen just seems like you're in the room, after about 15 minutes you forget about the 3D completely and it just feels like you're watching the movie through a window, it really makes it better.

It would be a great movie without the graphics, the main reason is just the sheer originality of the planet and the people, it's not a ripoff from a book or a sequel like every other movie that seems to come out lately.

eh...

http://screenrant.com/avatar-plot-james-cameron-plagiarized-poul-anderson-call-me-joe-ross-32369/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_Terra

First, I enjoyed the movie. I thought the 3D was well done.

The story is basically the same as Fern Gully and other eco-awareness movies (Pocahantas also comes to mind). The stranger gets put in the "shoes" of the natives who are connected to nature in a way that the technology-driven "others" cannot understand. The stranger becomes convinced of the value of nature and fights against his former people to stop the ecological destruction.

I was most impressed with the creation of another world. Many of the animals and plants were similar but different. There are some fabulous glowing plants and the 3D makes it seem as though you are inside a magical grove.

Eh, the plot is middling and sometimes predictable. But it is the most visually stunning thing I have ever seen.

Imagine, if you will, Speed Racer. Remember how the bright colors, action, and lighting blew your mind in a way that is like getting your eyeballs fucked, roughly and without mercy. All you want to do afterwards is stare at nothing and maybe cry. Avatar, on the other hand, gently makes love to your visual cortex, gently caressing your pupils. Then afterwards, your eyes just want to cuddle the movie in sweet afterglow.

tl;dr

3 star plot plus 5 star visuals = 4 star movie.

I'm pretty much a sucker for anything science fiction, and 3D just takes my nerd level over the top, so that probably contributed to me loving the movie, but i still think the story was pretty good

Wait. What?

Thanks to problems in a surgery when I was real young, I don't get data from both eyes at once. I can see well (with contacts/glasses) out of each eye individually (with peripheral data from the other), but I can't process signals from both simultaneously, so I can't watch 3D movies (I see them they way you would if you covered up one eye).

Thanks to problems in a surgery when I was real young, I don't get data from both eyes at once. I can see well (with contacts/glasses) out of each eye individually (with peripheral data from the other), but I can't process signals from both simultaneously, so I can't watch 3D movies (I see them they way you would if you covered up one eye).

?

?

No, nothing like that. My problem is in the eyes, not the brain. I can always see peripherally out of both (detecting colors, movement, and basic shapes), but to focus on something, I have to select one eye to be the dominant one and that one does the focusing. I think it's because my eyes are not equally bad (one is significantly more farsighted than the other), so my brain can't focus them both at the same time. It's been a problem my whole life, so I don't notice it at all, except when something requires stereo vision, like 3D movies, because my brain refuses to be tricked by funny glasses...

Ian, I would still recommend the movie. It is visually stunning, even without the 3D. The world Cameron built is amazing compared to other sci-fi worlds. The unique creatures, the phosphoresence, etc. I think make the movie worth the price. The difference between this movie and Fern Gully is that the protagonist (and a few others) keep switching back and forth -- he is actively part of both his own people and the new people. That creates an interesting dissonance that one can't find in something like Fern Gully. It also creates a unique vulnerability that becomes important in the movie's climax.