Sign in to follow this  
birdman

[DEAD] [M] Round 258: [POVERTY] birdman (aff) vs. JackGugino (neg)

I was thinking

1AC - 2000 words max. The round starts as soon as the 1AC is posted.

CX of 1AC - 24 hours long, starting when the 1AC is posted. The neg may post as many questions as they like, within reason. The aff is expected to check back regularly (again, within reason) to answer them during this 24 hour period.

1NC - 2000 words max. The 1NC is due 48 hours after the 1AC is posted, which is 24 hours after CX of the 1AC ends. Additional time is taken out of prep.

CX of 1NC - 24 hours long, starting when the 1NC is posted. The aff may post as many questions as they like, within reason. The neg is expected to check back regularly, as above.

2AC - 2000 words. The 2AC is due 48 hours after the 1NC is posted, which is 24 hours after CX of the 1NC ends.

CX of 2AC - 24 hours long, starting when the 2AC is posted. Same stuff as above.

2NC - 2000 words. The 2NC is due 48 hours after the 2AC is posted. Same stuff as above.

CX of 2NC - 24 hours long, starting when the 2AC is posted. Same stuff as above.

1NR - 1200 words. The 1NR is due 24 hours after the 2NC is posted. NOTE THAT THIS IS IMMEDIATELY AFTER CROSS-EX RATHER THAN 24 HOURS LATER! There is no reason you should need to hear your partner's cross-ex to write your speech. Communicate with your partner so you don't run into time trouble and begin writing your speech as soon as possible.

1AR - 1200 words. The 1AR is due 24 hours after the 1NR is posted, unless the 1NR posts during cross-ex of the 2NC. If so, the 1AR is due 24 hours after cross-ex ends.

2NR - 1200 words. The 2NR is due 24 hours after the 1AR is posted.

2AR - 1200 words. The 2AR is due 24 hours after the 2NR is posted.

Judges decide. The judges issue their verdicts, RFDs, and comments.

After-round stuff. The thread is now open for comments by observers. Everyone talks about what a great job the debaters did and how horrible the judges' decisions were.

fot the rules, we need 3 judges and another debater. whos in?

I changed the thread title to include the names of both debaters. Also, I can judge if you still need someone. My paradigm is on the judges' page. Feel free to ask questions.

I am at school right now (no access to files), but I will be posting my aff at about 8PM central time. It is a basic immigration aff, although I don't have the plantext with me right now.

Can you please post your speech in a .doc or .docx for I cant convert a .pages file and do not have an updated pages on my computer.

the cross x was due at 8 yesterday. your speech is still due at 8 today unless you use prep time. (just fyi)

and also, for prep time, how should we work that?

Jack is a no-show so unless anybody has received communication from him, Nightshadow and i will be continuing this debate. (if the title could be changed? thanks). slightly expanded aff seeing as the word counts are upped to 2500 for constructive and 1500 for rebuttals.

Bump. Birdman and I will be continuing this debate as soon as the new 1AC is posted. We've decided to change the wordcounts to 2500/1500 - this is why there will be another 1AC posted.

Edit: Is the 1AC coming today?

Edited by Nightshadow

CX Questions:

Inherency:

1. Your Ku and Perez evidence that there is a network of free clinics solving for immigrant health in the squo. Why is the plan necessary?

Economy:

1. Are immigrants the only reason that hospitals are losing money?

2. Your Knutson evidence indicates that administrative costs are hurting hospitals. Would the plan fix that?

3. Why would costs to hospitals collapse the entire economy?

4. How is Bearden qualified to talk about economic collapse?

5. The economy crashed recently. Why haven’t these wars been triggered already?

6. When has economic collapse ever started a war?

Disease:

1. Why are immigrants a unique vector for TB?

2. What is the terminal impact to TB spread?

3. Isn’t your Middle East Online News ev talking about TB spreading into the US?

4. Your Middle East News ev is over 6 years old. How does it assume the squo?

Racism:

1. Do you defend fiat?

2. Do you claim any ethical/moral reasons that the judge(s) should vote aff outside of utilitarian impact calculus?

3. How does giving healthcare to immigrants stop people from being racist?

4. What is moral disengagement? What is the terminal impact to moral disengagement?

5. How long has racism existed? Why aren’t we extinct yet, as per your Barndt ev?

6. If you had the choice to save 1,000 people from being killed or stop being racist, which would you choose? Why?

Solvency:

1. What are Ortega’s qualifications?

2. Medicaid reimbursement rates are ridiculously low. Won’t doctors and hospitals have an economic incentive to treat other patients instead of immigrants?

• Upvote 1

CX Questions:

Inherency:

1. Your Ku and Perez evidence that there is a network of free clinics solving for immigrant health in the squo. Why is the plan necessary?

Economy:

1. Are immigrants the only reason that hospitals are losing money?

2. Your Knutson evidence indicates that administrative costs are hurting hospitals. Would the plan fix that?

3. Why would costs to hospitals collapse the entire economy?

4. How is Bearden qualified to talk about economic collapse?

5. The economy crashed recently. Why haven’t these wars been triggered already?

6. When has economic collapse ever started a war?

Disease:

1. Why are immigrants a unique vector for TB?

2. What is the terminal impact to TB spread?

3. Isn’t your Middle East Online News ev talking about TB spreading into the US?

4. Your Middle East News ev is over 6 years old. How does it assume the squo?

Racism:

1. Do you defend fiat?

2. Do you claim any ethical/moral reasons that the judge(s) should vote aff outside of utilitarian impact calculus?

3. How does giving healthcare to immigrants stop people from being racist?

4. What is moral disengagement? What is the terminal impact to moral disengagement?

5. How long has racism existed? Why aren’t we extinct yet, as per your Barndt ev?

6. If you had the choice to save 1,000 people from being killed or stop being racist, which would you choose? Why?

Solvency:

1. What are Ortega’s qualifications?

2. Medicaid reimbursement rates are ridiculously low. Won’t doctors and hospitals have an economic incentive to treat other patients instead of immigrants?

Inherency

1. As the card says, not all immigrants get health care from these clinics, and the health care that some do get is of a poor quality.

Econ

1. No, they aren't, but they are a very major cause as my evidence shows.

2. Thats not exactly what that card says, it says that finding out an immigrant's citizenship status is expensive, but we solve for that by not requiring this to be done.

3. My evidence states that hospitals are 16% of the economy. If our hospitals collapse economically, that will severely hurt the economy. A 16% drop will be huge, and we need to prevent this.

4. Fellow, Alpha Foundation’s Institute for Advanced Study & Director, Association of Distinguished American Scientists those are his qualifications, the alpha foundation is very prestigious.

5. These wars haven't been triggered recently because the econ collapse hasn't been as devastating as a complete collapse of out hospitals would lead to. This can happen, it just hasn't yet.

6. WW II

Disease

1. They are not necessarily a unique vector, but if they don't get preventative care and screenings, they will increase the amount of TB.

2. mass spread of TB and millions if not billions of deaths

3. It says that right now TB is a disease mostly of developing countries, but there is the threat of it spreading here in greater numbers.

4. There is still a very valid threat, as my calvo ev shows

Racism

1. yes

2. we claim they should vote on both util and moral issues

3. right now there is an us vs them mentality, and we have evidence that we read in out 1ac that says that providing them hc will help us accept them. (the wexler ev)

4. Moral disengagement is not caring, if we don't care about others we destroy ourselves.

5. these things take time

6. Thats not a valid question, because our plan in no way involves people dying, it is a double bonus, less racism and lives saved.

solvency

1. she is a staff writer and has done research

2. this would help solve reimbursement rates

Racism

6. Thats not a valid question, because our plan in no way involves people dying, it is a double bonus, less racism and lives saved.

solvency

2. this would help solve reimbursement rates

6.) That's not really answering the question. If we have to choose between people dying or racism, which should be prioritized?

2.) How?

6.) That's not really answering the question. If we have to choose between people dying or racism, which should be prioritized?

2.) How?

6) Stop people from dying, but that isn't an issue.

2) we wouldn't have to reimburse hospitals for much, much more expensive emergency care.

1NC should be up later tonight.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AVGzhgIJtoReZGM4NXpiN3JfNXo5OXNoeGdj&hl=en

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I realize that health care may pass during the debate. Birdman and I have agreed to let the debate continue under the assumption that health care still has not passed yet.

Edit #2: If a mod could change the thread title to reflect the change in debaters, that would be great.

Edit3: Yes - The 1NC is "different" - I just made all the font the same so it was easier to read - there was no change in terms of strategy whatsoever.

Edited by Nightshadow
Posting the 1NC