Sign in to follow this  
DML

Irony Aff

What is it? I don't really understand how it would be formatted, etc. Or why it's good. I'm just curious. Thanks!

This is the way that the irony aff should be formatted

1. The ironic and hilarious part

2. The part about the problem you wanna solve

3. Cards about how irony is good

an irony aff is an aff that makes fun of something in a serious way. for example, the ban masturbation aff posted above talks about how bad masturbation is (hairy palms, mental illness, etc), than goes on to say how masturbation doesnt really cause all of these impacts, the media just blows it way out of proportion. the most important thing to remember about running irony is that you have two advocacies- what you contexually advocate and what you literally advocate. contexual advocacy is what your actual plan is, and what you literally advocate is what your trying to break down.

pretty sure that's it in a nutshell. i dont know irony affs too specifically, ive never run one or hit one lol

This is the way that the irony aff should be formatted

1. The ironic and hilarious part

2. The part about the problem you wanna solve

3. Cards about how irony is good

I think this is an interesting division of the key components of the argument. I think some teams do #2 through "cues" rather than explicitly--I can see both sides of the argument.

Typically people respond with:

1) Literal advocacy of your plan (like an impact turn strategy)

2) Irony isn't resolved and performance isn't a USFG increase

3) Irony can be misinterpreted.

4) Irony entrenches the status quo.

Edited by nathan_debate

I actually did run an irony aff for part of this year. The plan was that we increase social services for just white people. We had cards about how Obama hates poor white people and that there are a lot of poor whites. We then read some irony good cards, and then cards about how racism is relevent in america and how it is bad.

I watched an interesting Baudrillard round(Which I interpreted as irony(probably incorrectly)) which used it to great effectiveness.

I really expected to see some of Baudrillards key arguments run more this year, but yeah - nuclear war remains the bread and butter of debate. And you're totally right - Baudrillard does say that Rupture is a Good thing and it's not a stretch to say irony creates rupture. Of course, his warrants are better than most of the Irony AFF's framework authors I've seen.

I hit an Irony Aff at my third or fourth tournament ever and ended up losing because of a failed attempt to run Neoism against it. Nowadays I'd attack it just a BIT differently. It depends on if they come out with the Irony part of case in the 1AC or 2AC. If they disclosed from the 1AC I'd probably do something like this:

-----------------------------------------

*T - Resolved w/ Colon def. - can't shift advocacies

*T - 'Should' is Not Mandatory (violation: the AFF enacts Irony in round which nullifies the question of whether plan SHOULD pass or not by enacting it in round)

*FRMK - C/A the Interpretations from the T flows, add CP/K specific analysis, and put Irony Bad at the bottom.

*THEORY - Impact all the Nested Arguments on the Above three flows with specific theory dumps: ExtraT Bad, EffectsT Bad, AFF Condo Bad, Vague Plans Bad, Textual Advocacy Key, NEG presumption, etc. And finally - put a CLEAR role of the ballot at the bottom.

Follow all that with a fairly short, cohesive Neg Strat. The "CP/K specific analysis" on framework would depend on what K or CP I was running. If I didn't run off-case, I'd at least run solvency turns (kritikal or not).

--------------------------------------------

I was a bit vague about what framework would actually say, but regardless of what it would I'd make sure to REALLY flesh out the issue of Fiat and it's role in the Affirmatives advocacy. The spinning of the story of what the AFF actually does starts in the cross-x of the 1AC and continues in the 1NC. Key Questions Include:

Does congress actually promote the ironic policy and enact the performance so that the entire USFG gets solvency for the Ironic performance?

(if they say no) - So you're the only one performing the Irony - Are you claiming spill-over outside this round?

So what is the benefit of the Judge voting AFF - hasn't your performance already been done? Does that mean your case is terminally non-inherent past the 1AC? Doesn't any beneficial reason result in a Negative ballot?

How does the judge evaluate ironic solvency, can we be more Ironic than the 1AC and win the round? What about Kritik and Disad impacts, how are they weighed against it? Is there anything that can be evaluated as offense against your performance? Do you think that's fair?

(if they say yes) - So you fiat Congress into doing your performance - does this mean I could fiat Congress to do anything? Is there any brightline for what is too much fiat?

Speaking of Brightlines, how do we know that you're not going to say the 1AC's so-called REAL PURPOSE isn't only another set up for irony in the 2AC? What do we get our links off of?

So the purpose of the 1AC is to use Irony to make an important point, right? Regardless of if it's effective or not, why is Irony essential? You've brought the discussion to life, now what? Doesn't the importance of the subject mean we should actually discuss action on it?

---------------------------

Obviously, Framework and T can be a slam-dunk against this type of AFF because well...

1.) It is completely unpredictable, regardless if it's on purpose

2.) It Completely Unlimits the Topic

3.) It destroys almost ALL negative ground

4.) It eliminates every LINK the NEG has by allowing the AFF to spike out

5.) It has no Brightline over what IS and what ISN'T ironic

6.) It's Generally unfair because Ironic advocacy/solvency isn't reciprocal

7.) It's Bad for Education because it deshevles topic focus

The most important thing to remember is to not get freaked out - it's really not that strong of a position unless the team is uber dedicated or knows the literature REALLY well, but you should fear/respect a team thats dedicated/prepared regardless of if they run Irony or not...

Also, it's important that no one underestimate this position either. There are some GREAT authors on the subject (other than Baudrillard).

Finally, to continue to beat the dead horse, the best GENERAL strategy (in my opinion) is to drop all the 'A Priori' crap and go hard for how the JUDGE is actually supposed to evaluate the round. Both T's I listed above are more Theory arguments than Topicality arguments - it's simply easier to label them that way.

On those flows, I'm not going to say vote on Topicality because it's an A priori issue - I'm going to tell the Judge to vote on them because they offensively engage with their framework of Irony which is the central voting issue in the round. Either their performance was a good thing or a bad thing - the standards debate on T and FRMK determine that (as well as any off-case positions, of course).

Case in point: Everytime I win that their performance is Bad (as a policy or for the world of debate) on any of those flows, I also win a reason to reject the AFF and to vote NEG.