TheHutt

PNW Casebook - Wiki

All teams in the Pacific Northwest should participate! This extends to Idaho, Oregon, Washington, and any schools who travel to tournaments in these states.

http://pnwcasebook.wikispaces.com/

Please refer to the tutorial if you have questions.

http://pnwcasebook.wikispaces.com/Tutorial

You can also find the NDCA national circuit wiki here:

http://debatecoaches.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

- Nick

• Upvote 1

Hey guys. I know I was one of the most adamant fighters against disclosure, but I've seen the light. We should seriously start putting our cites up on the wiki. This doesn't mean you have to put up new arguments you haven't broken yet or put up what you went for at the end of the round. Just simply put : Tag, Author cite stuff, first few words and last few words of the card. Hell, if you aren't even willing to put in that much effort, at least put up the K's,DA's, CP's, and Plan Texts w/ advantages (i.e. SBSP + Heg/Energy).

For the sake of better debates, please contribute to the wiki!

Hey guys. I know I was one of the most adamant fighters against disclosure, but I've seen the light. We should seriously start putting our cites up on the wiki. This doesn't mean you have to put up new arguments you haven't broken yet or put up what you went for at the end of the round. Just simply put : Tag, Author cite stuff, first few words and last few words of the card. Hell, if you aren't even willing to put in that much effort, at least put up the K's,DA's, CP's, and Plan Texts w/ advantages (i.e. SBSP + Heg/Energy).

For the sake of better debates, please contribute to the wiki!

Word up. So happy that Tk has seen the light.

Also, disclose for bad people that don't disclose - next year, many Ingraham kids are going to type out and post their flows of all 1AC's/1NC's that they go against or see in elimination rounds if the 1AC/1NC was not yet disclosed on the wiki. I recommend that everybody does this.

i fear sounding like an idiot but im from idaho.. what the heck is this?

The norm for national circuit and top debaters in most states is to disclose the arguments you've run in past tournaments. Posting your affirmative cites/plan texts and advantages. Negative positions you've run, etc.

People do this to varying degrees. Some just post cites and plan texts. Some post tags, full cites, and plan texts. And the newest innovation is to disclose the full text of what you read, including the text of card AND the underlining/highlighting.

This makes debate prep much better. The CP debates get much better. And Affs innovate and adapt from tournament to tournament. Case debate also gets way better.

In all honesty, if a school isn't participating in this and one of my debate teams hits them, we'll post your cites and plan texts, etc. for you. My teams have been instructed to do tags/full cites and texts, but are encouraged to do full card/highlighting as well.

okay... i know someone is gonna get mad but im not intending to make anyone mad... regardless this sounds so dumb

That's cool. Hopefully you change your mind in the future.

• Upvote 1

okay... i know someone is gonna get mad but im not intending to make anyone mad... regardless this sounds so dumb

I guess I respect that, but if you think this way, you should post something substantive about your issues with the wiki rather than just dismiss it by saying its dumb. I think most of us already knew that Idaho hates the wiki for one reason or another, and so you not disclosing will probably not end up having a large effect on others.

i have a bad feeling i am going to start some bad things :l i think it is a stupid idea because we have schools (cough Boise High) who like to make squirrely things and use them against us and they dont post them so it just gives them the opportunity to look through our stuff and make the perfect thing to break it. why post your stuff to give another team that doesnt post their stuff the advantage over you? it makes no sense to me .... and by 'stuff' i mean cases and such

• Upvote 2

i have a bad feeling i am going to start some bad things :l i think it is a stupid idea because we have schools (cough Boise High) who like to make squirrely things and use them against us and they dont post them so it just gives them the opportunity to look through our stuff and make the perfect thing to break it. why post your stuff to give another team that doesnt post their stuff the advantage over you? it makes no sense to me .... and by 'stuff' i mean cases and such

A. Boise does not make anything excessively squirelly

B. Centennial is going to be posting everything on the wiki this year and we're going to get other schools in boise to do it as well so you wont be alone

• Upvote 1

See, this is helpful. This is also an issue that many have with the wiki - we arn't on the national circuit where everybody posts everything because it is the community norm. I totally agree that it is unfair to people that do post to have others look at the wiki. Many people continue to post on the wiki because a. it encourages others to post and b. its educationally beneficial no matter what. Also, if we all continue to use the wiki this way, as I said above, we can all scout out teams like Boise - I mean, from the looks of the above posts, there will be a good number of teams that will post ALL of Boise's arguments when they hit Boise at Whitman. This could help you prep out against teams like boise.

Some people have been discussing the odea of having a closed-off wiki. This would mean you must post on the wiki in order to see other wikis. What do people think about this? Hailie, would this take away your fear of wikis?

by the thanks for neg rep guys :D glad we can all speak our ideas freely! ;)

I think most of us neg repped you because you just said something is stupid, without really telling us why, which is never ok on a forum like cross-x.com where we discuss issues, as opposed to just saying that something is stupid and making assertations. I, too, will fix your rep.

Some people have been discussing the odea of having a closed-off wiki. This would mean you must post on the wiki in order to see other wikis. What do people think about this? Hailie, would this take away your fear of wikis?

This would be a really good idea!

The biggest barrier to doing that is money - it costs 50 bucks a year to have a closed off wiki. If more people would honestly post on the wiki, I would pay for a closed off wiki, but only if we can get a substantial group of people that would say they are willing to contribute.

The biggest barrier to doing that is money - it costs 50 bucks a year to have a closed off wiki. If more people would honestly post on the wiki, I would pay for a closed off wiki, but only if we can get a substantial group of people that would say they are willing to contribute.

Ballard has set-up a test access controlled wiki if people are interested in switching over to that system let us know. Otherwise, we'll just use it as a private wiki-book on teams and judges for ourselves.