Sign in to follow this  
birdman

Counterplan format

I have all the cards I need, but I want to know what the format of the CP should be. It is states CP with federalism as the main net benefit.

Text: The 50 states of the US and all relevant territories should <insert plan mandates>

Contention I: Competition

We compete based on net benefits

Contention II: Solvency

<Insert solvency cards here>

Contention III: Net Benefits

The first net benefit is the Federalism DA:

<Read the federalism DA>

thanks, and what do you think of a spending/tradeoff disad as a 2nd net benifit?

They're ok NBs, the only problem being that the states are having a MUCH larger problem with funds right now than even the fed government. If it comes to you having a fed spending DA and them having a states spending DA to the CP, they'll win most of the time on probability and due to the fact that your CP leads to the impact of the fed spending DA (US econ collapse) because normally they say something like:

U/B: State budgets stable, but on the brink now

L: CP causes massive increase in state spending

IL: States econs K US econ

I: Econ collapse leads to nuke war

So it's best not to open that can of worms. If you have a good politics DA, it's a MUCH better NB to states. I'd even spring for the politics DA files at InfinitePrep. They are GREAT quality and they only contain the most important stuff you'll need to use in a debate, no fluff. You can fill in the gaps with the politics file that JDI made (winners win type, generic stuff).

I also found some stuff about legalizing and taxing gambling for funds. thoughts?? If I can make those work, what do you think about the spending?

i just dont really like politics, because everyone has a good answer.

I also found some stuff about legalizing and taxing gambling for funds. thoughts?? If I can make those work, what do you think about the spending?
Those COULD work, but you're just opening yourself up for more attacks. The narrower you keep your advocacy, the easier it will be to defend everything you've ran. Just use "normal means" and have A/Ts to the states spending DA. It's much simpler and there's some good offense you can put on them.

i just dont really like politics, because everyone has a good answer.

There's answers to everything. It's really just about being up-to-date and knowing your scenarios. If you're not sure, just pick a scenario and really research it and beef it up. If you have a well-researched scenario and some blocks to common arguments (impact turns, winners win link turn) you can do really well with even the most common politics DA. Even if they do have good blocks.

Trade-off should work fine with states, especially since the best trade-off scenario is dealing with the military, which is exclusively federal funding. However, Mdawg is right, it still grants them the link to a state trade-off disad (unless you have specific answers to their scenario).

yah, my tradeoff scenario is vague, with lots of good link evidence. Ut just says that mil spending is high now, but if obama adds funds to domestic social services, then military funding will be cut, leading to heg collapse.

Trade-off should work fine with states, especially since the best trade-off scenario is dealing with the military, which is exclusively federal funding. However, Mdawg is right, it still grants them the link to a state trade-off disad (unless you have specific answers to their scenario).

yah, my tradeoff scenario is vague, with lots of good link evidence. Ut just says that mil spending is high now, but if obama adds funds to domestic social services, then military funding will be cut, leading to heg collapse.

Yeah, that's a good enough scenario but you'll have a hell of a hard time winning rounds with it b/c it's missing a few key things. I'll post it in the example of a sample 2AC:

1. No brink - how much do we trade off? how much of what we DO take is needed? how much do we have to take before we see their impacts?

2. No specific link - they read no link ev that talks about how specifically the plan trades off w/ military funding

3. No link - their ev says that there's a possibility that it COULD come from the military funding. It's not predictive, it's a gigantic question mark. Don't do work for them their ev should have done for itself

4. No internal link - they read no ev saying exactly what PART of the military we trade off with. we could just as easily trade off with non-essential, outdated programs. again, don't do work for them they should have done for themselves

5. Terminally non-unique - funding for everything increases year by year, social services are no different. they'll cost more in the future and that money will have to come from somewhere. it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when

6. Non-unique - There was a little thing called the stimulus. even if their uniqueness ev assumes the stimulus, we aren't seeing the impacts of their heg impacts - I don't see a nuke war - proves that even if they do trade off it doesn't affect the grand scheme of things

And that's just analytics. When you get ev in there, you'll have a heck of a battle. My recommendation would be to limit your scenario from just "military" to a more specific area, like the Missile Defense DA that was put out by some camp (which I think has an F-22 mod to it as well). It makes sure that you can limit where they can attack you from.