dpron

nfl's mvp so far

Who is the leading mvp of the nfl as of now?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the leading mvp of the nfl as of now?

• Peyton Manning
    • Drew Brees
    • Brett Favre
    • Darren Sharper
    • Cedric Benson
    • Big Ben
    • Tony Romo
    • Jared Allen
    • Tom Brady
    • Other

also, the Pro Football Writers Association of America, Maxwell Club of Philadelphia, "The Sporting News" all also do a mvp candidate.

regardless, google proves me nothing on quick search this time or last time. So please, if someone knows please post. I've never known the guidelines for how they choose a player.

Maybe because there are no guidelines for these kind of things. Maybe the only guideline is "did they play in the NFL this season?" Seriously. There has never been a guideline for it I don't think. Sure some people will say, "well you're not voting for the best player, but the play most valuable to their team," and some people will say, "well that would be the best player in the league."

MLB doesn't have rules about their MVP voting, it's just a majority of the people voting look at it as "most valuable to their team." Shit Albert Pujols played for a fourth place team, but he won MVP. So sometimes people will switch their vote. If a majority of the AP voters think Ryan Succop is the MVP, then he'll win, but no one will come in and say, "well he's outside of the guidelines of the award." Fuck Tommy. Think.

Isn't this list a bit QB heavy? You have Big Ben as an option, and yet Adrian Peterson isn't even on the list.

tbh my personal rankings thus far, to scale, are:

1. drew brees

2. peyton manning

3. chris johnson

others

AP is good, but almost any back would be good with the o-line minnesota has. None would be near AP, but still.

The reason MVP (and other all-position awards like the Heisman) tend to be QB-heavy is because QBs arguably have the biggest impact on a team's success. The Saints without Brees are probably 4-5 at best. The Colts without Manning are probably a 3-win team at best. The Vikings without Adrian Peterson... still probably a 3-loss team at worst.

I do disagree.

In Heisman history, 42 running backs have won as compared to 27 quarterbacks. The MVP award for the NFL from the AP goes more along these lines, 34 QBs and 17 RBs.

You might favor QBs to RBs, but not this much. AP is a beast, and he is undoubtedly in my top five, with a strong case for #1. Favre, Sidney Rice, Percey Harvin wouldn't be doing diddly if other teams weren't putting 7 or 8 in the box against Adrian. Chris Johnson is definitely a top 5 candidate too.

Sorry that I caught you misreading my post and trying to quote me out of context against me.

I've actually just been trying to have a discussion of the MVP so far. I am arguing that Manning is the best candidate. I actually did not mean to imply ANYWHERE that Manning was so far ahead of the other candidates that he cannot lose the award. I was actually going to take the time to respond to your other arguments, but seeing as how I don't believe you're interested in actually debating this rationally, I agree that we've reached a good stopping place.

If you want to know the truth, Manning did not deserve it at all last year. He sucked last year, and he only won it because the Colts had a ridiculously easy schedule down the stretch. Kurt Warner or Drew Brees should have won it last year.

Was it necessary for me to make a big deal out of one slip up of yours and to try to show you up by going line-by-line my original post? Absolutely not. Do I feel bad about it now? Hell no.

1. Who gives a flying fuck about last year?

2. If you want to define your "rationale" as completely dodging the issues at hand about whether or not Peyton Manning is a front runner for the mvp by doing some semi cutesy bullshit where you quote the same redundant argument about ten times thats great. That will get a lot of fans on this child's website but your deduction skills are proving to be faulty at best.

3. Im glad that your criterion for Peyton Manning being the league MVP thus far is that he has no running game and he's undeafeated (even though I debated you on the merits on the game they should have lost and all you did was avoid the issue) because there's going to be a lot of discussion on this thread about what really makes a mvp (i'll give you a hint, end of the regular season record isnt necessarily the end all be of all of the decision).

Edited by Elegant Universe

After Manning's underwhelming performance against Baltimore, I am a bit inclined to give Brees the edge.

My concern with Brees before was simply that in my opinion he's had a pretty easy schedule. Not really his fault, though. He's taken care of business.

Even though this will piss some people off, Brett Favre's candidacy received a boost today as well.

the browns make me want to hurt myself

Idve been upset if the Lions had lost to the Browns, becasue they are better than them. And the rams, but they didnt have Megatron for that one.

that's funny but is just a reference to any team losing to the chiefs (I didn't even know the chiefs knew how to beat teams with a 4+wins)

what more does brett favre have to do? he has been so sick the last few games and he has 24 TD's to 3 INTS....so sick.

what more does brett favre have to do? he has been so sick the last few games and he has 24 TD's to 3 INTS....so sick.

I was a Brees guy... and thats what I voted... but it has to be Manning now. 5 straight 4th quarter comebacks and some great numbers should be enough to do it. And he's also pretty much the head coach/offensive coordinator of the team.

I watched Brett Favre play yesterday. As a Jets fan, I'm bitter... where the hell was that accuracy last year?

Doesn't matter how good Favre is doing this season, though... MVP is clearly a race between Brees and Manning. Both of them are playing on the same level Favre is at the very least just in terms of passing. Brees and Manning, though, are leading their teams in ways that Favre just isn't.

I said it before, and I'll say it again - without Favre, the Vikes are still probably division champs (though the NFC north is terrible this year). Without Brees or Manning, the Saints/Colts are terrible.

After this week, here's how I'd rank the MVP candidates

1. Drew Brees

2. Brett Favre

3. Peyton Manning

4. Chris Johnson

weighted rankings:

drew brees

peyton manning

chris johnson

brett favre

the rest of the field

-edit-

I will also rescind my statement that the Saints are terrible without Brees.

After this week, here's how I'd rank the MVP candidates

1. Drew Brees

2. Brett Favre

3. Peyton Manning

4. Chris Johnson

I cant neg rep you but I would if i had the chance. Theres no way Peyton Manning had a more impressive season than Chris Johnson. He wasnt nearly as consistent, his team just won more games.

Yes he was it was manning brees rivers (lolwut) then favre.

this is the least well warranted post you have ever made in the whole entire history of your posts

I cant neg rep you but I would if i had the chance. Theres no way Peyton Manning had a more impressive season than Chris Johnson. He wasnt nearly as consistent, his team just won more games.

Well, since you made this post yesterday, would it change your desire to neg rep me if you knew that I agree with you as of today? I called it how I saw it mid-season. Admittedly, I did not respond very well in the debate that we had at the time. We traded neg rep. If you think you owe me + one more neg rep, then go ahead and take care of it when you've finally spread it around enough. I can admit that I was unresponsive/unfair to you in at least one of my posts. Believe it or not, I actually thought I was making an objective case for Peyton Manning that I believed at the time. Now I see things differently, but I'm still calling it how I see it---and I'm probably still "wrong."

At the time I wrote my previous posts, Manning had a couple of games where he threw a couple of picks. I figured the two-picks in a game thing would be an aberration and wash out over time, but the 16 picks in 14.75 games thing is too many for my tastes. Aaron Rogers even has better numbers, and his team finished the regular season a lot stronger than Mannings'.

To address one meta-MVP question that was alluded to a couple months ago on this thread, team success does matter. I think the question is how much it matters. Clearly, the dominate paradigm the voters use is that team success is very important and not going to the playoffs can make a player ineligible for the award. I don't take that hardline stance, but it matters in addition to statistical achievements.

Steven Jackson had a great year, but the Rams could have lost 15 games without him in the lineup too, so I don't think there's anyone who has him even in the top 10 for MVP. It does hurt Chris Johnson in my mind that his team missed the playoffs. Or let me put it this way: it has to have some affect on the vote if all other things are equal. But of course, all other things AREN'T equal. 2000 yards is a big accomplishment, and that alone warrants an MVP by my account.

When someone does something as special as run for 2000 yards, that is very valuable TO THE LEAGUE. I argue that a further distinction needs to be made. There needs to be a difference between most valuable player to a team and most valuable player to the league. Shawn Marion once said, "Steve Nash is the MVP of the league, but I am the MVP of the team." I think there's some insight in that comment. Leading your team to glory is something that I think is "valuable" to the league, but I don't think the League MVP award should be reduced to simply the player who contributed most to his team whose team was the best in the league. I think that it should take into consideration some transcendent accomplishments like 2000 yards. It turns out that accomplishing these things usually lead to team success too, but I don't think team success should be looked at as something that makes or breaks a player's candidacy---just another factor among many.

This is how it should have gone:

1. Chris Johnson winning MVP for the 2000 yard season. I think that 2000 yards is a decision rule unless a QB did something as impressive.

After that, I don't really see a lot of difference in VALUE of the top QBs to their teams. You could make the case for Drew Brees then replace the name with Phillip Rivers and I think the stories are very familiar, unless you want to quibble over certain statistics. If anything, I think this is a very good reason to give the award to Chris Johnson.

2. Drew Brees had the best QB rating + most touchdowns on the NFC #1 seed.

3. Rivers had best yards per average + high QB rating on team that finished as perhaps strongest team in NFL.

I'm not really sure I care beyond that point enough to argue for anyone.