The Gender Bender

owl city

more like defamation. guy is a shitty rip-off of tps and might have actually made some people think that ben gibbard started making shitty music

more like defamation. guy is a shitty rip-off of tps and might have actually made some people think that ben gibbard started making shitty music

i said this the other day

i just don't get why being signed to a major label would make you take someone more seriously.

as if a joke couldn't be perfectly marketable.

I think the Ben Gibbard parallel is true, but one drawn between Owl City and of Montreal's Kevin Barnes.

Or even scarier, Gibbard's The Postal Service, and of Montreal combined.

I think the Ben Gibbard parallel is true, but one drawn between Owl City and of Montreal's Kevin Barnes.

Or even scarier, Gibbard's The Postal Service, and of Montreal combined.

kevin barnes is on a completely different level. kevin barnes has been around. any one of kevin barnes' releases with of montreal is inifinitely better than anything TPS,DC4C, or Owl City have put out combined. of montreal once toured with neutral milk hotel. death cab once toured with matt costa.

gibbard is a pop musician that stumbled across a few good songs after abandoning his band's good early work (listen to The Stability EP by Death Cab. infinitely better than any shit they've put out since), the owl city guy is a hack and a ripoff that took a popular indie-ish album and threw autotune on it to make bank.

(don't get me wrong, i like the postal service, but they are not anywhere near of montreal)

kevin barnes is on a completely different level. kevin barnes has been around. any one of kevin barnes' releases with of montreal is inifinitely better than anything TPS,DC4C, or Owl City have put out combined. of montreal once toured with neutral milk hotel. death cab once toured with matt costa.

gibbard is a pop musician that stumbled across a few good songs after abandoning his band's good early work (listen to The Stability EP by Death Cab. infinitely better than any shit they've put out since), the owl city guy is a hack and a ripoff that took a popular indie-ish album and threw autotune on it to make bank.

(don't get me wrong, i like the postal service, but they are not anywhere near of montreal)

Of course not - but I was saying take their respective sounds (of Montreal and The Postal Service), not necessarily talents, and you'd have Owl City.

For argument's sake, I'd have to say that Narrow Stairs was better than Gibbard's more recent stuff. I think he realized how he let a large portion of his fan-base down with Plans and fixed it.

Barnes is boss, no question about it.

Also - Matt Costa, guy knows how to write a damn good ballad.

The difference being...?

Not big. Auto-tune is a computer algorithm and a vocoder is a dedicated machine. Just an FYI, not anything terribly important.