taktak

Biopower help?

Hello, i am running biopower this year and i was wondering what i could do do beef up my camp file. Can anyone suggest a good file, or some place to cut cards? (books are fine) Also what alternative do you suggest using? A judge suggested that i read Foucault's "discipline and punish" but im not sure what kind of cards to cut from it (link, impact, alt)

Thanks for any help in advance :)

• Downvote 1

Hello, i am running biopower this year and i was wondering what i could do do beef up my camp file. Can anyone suggest a good file, or some place to cut cards? (books are fine) Also what alternative do you suggest using? A judge suggested that i read Foucault's "discipline and punish" but im not sure what kind of cards to cut from it (link, impact, alt) Thanks for any help in advance :)

If you are only using one camp file then you should find some others and mix them together. I think if you are going to run biopower throughout the year you should read Discipline and Punish (or a different book) not for the purpose of cutting it, but just to understand the ideas, so you can articulate them well in the rebuttals.

I personally feel that history of sexuality provides a very good way to begin reading Foucault. As for evidence and the such, there are some pretty good cards that are used directly from Foucault (most of the ones I use being from History of Sexuality vol. 1), however it depends on what you need cut. As for alternatives I find that a "criticism" alternative seems to work the best, there are a few good threads on it so just use the search function. Also, there is a good explanation of Foucault the author explanations thread is a very good explanation of his philosophy.

Any specific questions just ask.

I personally feel that history of sexuality provides a very good way to begin reading Foucault. As for evidence and the such, there are some pretty good cards that are used directly from Foucault (most of the ones I use being from History of Sexuality vol. 1), however it depends on what you need cut. As for alternatives I find that a "criticism" alternative seems to work the best, there are a few good threads on it so just use the search function. Also, there is a good explanation of Foucault the author explanations thread is a very good explanation of his philosophy.

Any specific questions just ask.

I looked at your posts about criticism alts but im still not sure what they are. Could you send me an example of one? Also when im reading those books what should i look for in them? does a history of sexuality talk about biopower? Thanks again

one thing i would reccomend is painting your links as little linear disads

like when i run biopower, i read the generic poverty link, a case specific link and so on

then i go to case and read another link card, and a reason biopower turns that advantage specifically. If you do this, i would reccomend wording your tags creatively to not make it obvious that they are just other links that you're gonna x-apply. This also means that even if you lose the alt, you still have case turns and you can paint them as little disads on each case flow.

ie: plan stigmatizes the poor in and "us" them "dichotomy" preserving the ideals of population manipulation

then read

poverty can never be solved when the government focuses on idealizing the poor as "them", making them disposable (this card can be found in this article about biopower and katrina, i'll try to find the site and post it later)