TheScuSpeaks

New edebate/ ceda forums

Well, it looks like there is a push to move away from edebate the listserv. I can only say, yay.

Thoughts on the new websites, how this will all play out, etc?

ya, i like that they're more interactive and students can post as well. It just seems like it's getting a bit out of hand- there's a ton of new spaces ranging from list-servs, forums, facebook groups/fan pages/people, twitters/ other areas and they are all new, so its hard to tell which ones will stick and which ones will fade.

Could someone please post the link to this new site? Also, does anyone have a link for the current results from the Harvard tournament? Thank you,

ya, i like that they're more interactive and students can post as well. It just seems like it's getting a bit out of hand- there's a ton of new spaces ranging from list-servs, forums, facebook groups/fan pages/people, twitters/ other areas and they are all new, so its hard to tell which ones will stick and which ones will fade.

Here's my consolidation (this is entirely personal and may run counter to what you need from debate sites.)

HAWT

1. CEDA Forums - bookmarked - top destination for me - seems annoying-free and consolidates links to debateresults and opencaselist, which I use a lot

2. cross-x.com - bookmarked, check about once a week, sometimes more depending on procrastination. Generally only really impacts me re: camp stuff.

3. 3NR.com - RSS Feed through Google Reader. Hawt. Batterman, thoughtful; Phillips, funny if eerily reminiscent of Hannity.

4. Planet Debate - surf there - I'm looking forward to the blog reorganization. It's a little diffuse, but many of the individual posts are really good. i basically go there when a post on one of the other places tells me to go there.

5. Probably some other blogs I'm forgetting, maybe mine when I bother. The UGA debate blog is worthwhile, despite its painful color scheme. Surf there. I guess I'd RSS if they put up an RSS button.

I'd sub the Georgia Forensics Daily were I primarily a HS coach or debater.

NAWT

1. Any Twitter is automatically annoying. The initial reaction to Twitter was that it would be irritating and fatuous one way communication. Years later, we are collectively realizing that Twitter is irritating and fatuous one-way communication.

2. Any listserv. 1996 called - they said this shit is too old. Seriously, can we please never go back to that? If we want to go retro, we could at least do Usenet and go respectable retro. It's like retro game systems - Atari is cool, but Colecovision is just sad.

3. Facebook groups. Annoying, fatuous. This is an expression of fandom. While intelligent adults may have Facebook pages, no intelligent adult cares about their Facebook groups' message boards. Also, Facebook is starting to look eerily like Twitter, and thus lose IQ points by association.

My standard for evaluation is pretty obvious - smart people saying smart things about debate will stick, even if they're abrasive. This is particularly true when content providers provide meaningful two-way communication instead of just preaching at people.

Content providers with nothing to say other than "look at me!" or "buy something!" will not.

• Upvote 1

Now I did.

Sorry, total brain hiccup there. Good thing I did - I had missed a couple of good posts that I saw when I put the blog on my reader, particularly the "reps" theory post.