wayfreshnclean

Successful Affs

So as the first month of debate passes, what are some good Aff cases that you all have seen? Winning Aff cases in particular? And what are some unsuccessful or stupid Affs that you guys have heard of?

My favorites: Broadband, SNAPs, TANF, Abortion

• Upvote 1

I had to cut a neg frontline to that. Such a strange (and blatantly untopical) aff.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I had to cut a neg frontline to that. Such a strange (and blatantly untopical) aff.

And what are some unsuccessful or stupid Affs that you guys have heard of?

Eat the Rich.

Eat the Poor.

Eat you.

Eat Paris Hilton.

Pretty much anything Eat related.

(Yes this includes food... stupid democrats believe in giving the poor something to eat...psshh)

• Upvote 1

I hit these guys that said "Our plan is to re-define the poverty line and fund social services"

"Alright, what social services?"

"I dunno..."

"ALL social services?"

"Uh.."

"And how much would that cost?"

"I dunno......."

"What will you re-define the poverty line to?"

"I'unno........."

Yeah, that was a stupid round.

But so far, I haven't had too much of a problem with the evidence, it's just the people using it in the wrong ways.

• Downvote 2

I hit these guys that said "Our plan is to re-define the poverty line and fund social services"

"Alright, what social services?"

"I dunno..."

"ALL social services?"

"Uh.."

"And how much would that cost?"

"I dunno......."

"What will you re-define the poverty line to?"

"I'unno........."

Yeah, that was a stupid round.

But so far, I haven't had too much of a problem with the evidence, it's just the people using it in the wrong ways.

What does this have to do with Successful Affs in the slightest? Did you think the title was just ironic?

• Upvote 2

i heard that there was a team running a kritikal aff. thats awesome.

how specific

• Upvote 1

What does this have to do with Successful Affs in the slightest? Did you think the title was just ironic?

"And what are some unsuccessful or stupid Affs that you guys have heard of? "

Just answering what I wanted to answer.

k thanks.

• Downvote 1

I've facecrushed TANF so many times - really weak to States - that I think it's funny to find it on a "successful Aff list". Maybe it's because I spent all summer reading about it because I thought it would be our school's aff. Fortunately not.

Broadband also has some issues if worded in certain ways. The links to big impacts are also pretty absurd. Because, yes, we're totally going to stop bioterrorism if we get some poor people to get interwebs...

Abortion also. It's blatantly not to PLIP, which makes it quite weak if the words are added in to get out of T.

I'm not going to lie, I think Medicaid to illegal immigrants is a pretty solid case (yes, my own aff, shaddup.) There are obvious warrants for PLIP (Medicaid...), illegal immigrant discussion is a nice twisty link-turn to PTX, you're funny if you run states, and we're not capitalist people!

Several court cases are pretty good if it's hard to just skirt out of something in the midst of the case and make a CP. Debating courts straight up can get pretty out of hand, especially because it's usually not a comfort zone for seniors who have grown up with an international topic, a national services topic, and alternative energy (which... Supreme Court? Eh... no...). Courts is only a major front in this topic compared to the others. And court is probably not going to be used next year - y'know, with the top 5 being all international topics...

• Upvote 1

after a few tournaments, I have reconsidered my list. We basically got raped on Broadband so we cut a Food Stamps aff which has worked beautifully for us. The only problem is that you have to do a lot of work to run that case, since they're soo many different neg arguments to it, but if you're willing to block out answers to those neg args to the case, then its pretty solid.

I haven't hit any Medicaid for illegal immigrant affs yet, but maybe its because i live in a pretty politically conservative area. Oh and a few other successful affs I've heard include this teen pregnancy aff working off some program called CAS Carerra. Trio and Gear Up has been pretty legit too. I haven't found any substantial neg literature against either cases. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?