chiefs

Paperless in Kansas

Not doable. Laptop issue dude. And this is coming from a guy on a paperless squad.

UMKC is paperless now? Do you guys carry 3 laptops (one extra for the competition to look at?) I'm seriously just curious about this. It seems like once the initial setup phase is over it would be awesome. Scanning and OCRing books and backfiles is a pain but it's worth it to not have to lug around tubs and travel with them.

There was language discussed at the rules meeting at KSCA looking at the use of laptops. I believe Cindy modeled it off of UIL laptop language...

UMKC is paperless now? Do you guys carry 3 laptops (one extra for the competition to look at?) I'm seriously just curious about this. It seems like once the initial setup phase is over it would be awesome. Scanning and OCRing books and backfiles is a pain but it's worth it to not have to lug around tubs and travel with them.

Yes. Every team has three laptops. If anyone does it I'd recommend they do a PC because the PC version of word has reading view which is highly preferable because then all you have to do to switch to the next page is hit the down arrow as opposed to trying to scroll to the next page and trust me that takes time when it all adds up. You should also probably prefer the PC version because the next edition of word merges Excel spreadsheets and word documents into the same window so you can have your flow and your speech .doc open on the same window and don't need to switch between the two.

The link below is a template that teams can use if they have the resources and want to try to go paperless. I'll put down a list of commands for it in the moment and what they all do but understand that this can be quite difficult because a) it requires everyone on your squad that cuts cards to use the same template because if they don't then a lot of the benefits of the template and of a paperless begin to disappear or at least the portions that give it any expediency B) you have to have virtually all of your files save maybe a file or two that you want in your backpack in paper form or it kind of defeats the purpose because then you'll have tubs anyway c) it's just going to be rough to transition, if you choose to switch I'd recommend doing A LOT of practice debates with it to get the hang of it so you're not still trying to adjust at a tournament.

Precursor to command explanation - paperless (at least under our system requires two documents) files produced in this template and a speech document that MUST be named speech.doc and saved to your desktop blank the explanation for while will be on in a moment.

List of Commands -

F2 - remove all hard returns in selected text.

F3 - remove all formating

F4 - normal text (size 10 font - you can of course modify size or whatever based on your preference)

F5 - Indent text to end of the paragraph.

F6 - Tag

F7 - Topline/Page Title/whatever you will call it.

F8 - Short Source Citation (ie Smith in 2007)

Control + Z - underline and bold next word*

Control + D - highlight next word (yellow)

Control + Q - cite sharing for card (ie the portion disclosed to other teams after the cite like "As a consequence, the ultimate aim of...us to discern the signs the New” (1998: 352-353).")

Control + Alt + Right Arrow - immediately copies all text from nearest above F7 Topline (say your topline is AT Health Care Reform Politics) to next hard page break (the function of this command is to not only allow you to put all the necessary cards for your speech in another document quickly but to allow you to move entire blocks for your aff or big neg strategies over instead of copying card by card).

* If you cut cards on a mac this macro is of no consequence to your and should work fine because your undo command is Apple + Z however if you cut cards on a PC then this replaces your Undo command and the new undo command when you're working in the template is Alt + Backspace

http://ifile.it/nrwd3lv/Paperless%20Template.dot

If any coaches are thinking about trying this out or debaters just want to use it as a good card cutting template but either have questions about it feel free to email me or ask me in person at KCKCC. The latter will likely be preferable if you're having serious problems simply because then I can show you how it works in person.

EDIT:

Some after thoughts I had.

Document navigation - it is imperative that you follow the format for that template otherwise document navigation in a large master file or whatever will be quite difficult. Navigation is best facilitated by the document map so if the template format for cutting cards, writing blocks, etc is followed correctly all that will show up in the document map are the toplines for your blocks, 1AC, 1NC, or particular cards then navigation can be quite easy.

If you have any other questions about how paperless works are can be implemented the above explanation works but you can email me at apbbqb<AT>umkc<DOT>edu or AIM me at schizoanalyst or MSN at alex.bonnet.debate<AT>gmail<DOT>com, or add me to gtalk at the same address, or just add me to facebook, whatever.

Edited by Felix Hoenikker

I wish we could do paperless in KS. The fact that we still aren't allowed to says something (although I can't pinpoint exactly what) about KS debate.

I shudder to think of how many trees the state tournament alone claims each year. If there were a feasible way to do this across an entire state, it would do wonders. It's probably not fair to expect every kid in the state to own a laptop or each school be able to provide them. I'd imagine most would just look at pron the whole time anyway.

Well both teams don't need to be paperless. One can be paper'd and one can be paperless, all you need is a viewing computer.

I just can't comprehend why KS refuses to progress.

Michael why are we limited to 8 tournments during policy and forensics??? Why can't we go to the TOC and debate all year??? Simple answers to all these's question KSHA IS STUPID!!!! And on the paperless thing it would good most schools I couldn't see using it because of the precived cost (comparded to the amount of paper and ink it would be the same or less proply). Expesaly now with USD 259 (Larger Wichita) geting funding cuts and at least us haveing to get a lot of our own supplies where in the past we haven't had to get anything.

• Downvote 2

sorry, guys - you have the same old tired arguments about why KS doesn't progress.

on laptops - when all of my students have access to laptops and i don't have to buy dress clothes for the economically challenged students then i'll jump on the paperless bandwagon. i don't even have laptops in my classroom.

on KSHSAA (its proper name)- they set "eight plus state" as the limit, just like sports have limits on the number of matches, tournaments, games, etc. for fairness. most states that do debate year round have a limit of 10 tournaments for the year. and most of the time, students can't do both debate and ie's or congress or whatever.

h/w

^perhaps a bit grumpier than usual because of his dentist visit today

Michael why are we limited to 8 tournments during policy and forensics??? Why can't we go to the TOC and debate all year??? Simple answers to all these's question KSHA IS STUPID!!!! And on the paperless thing it would good most schools I couldn't see using it because of the precived cost (comparded to the amount of paper and ink it would be the same or less proply). Expesaly now with USD 259 (Larger Wichita) geting funding cuts and at least us haveing to get a lot of our own supplies where in the past we haven't had to get anything.

Did you cut those politics answers?

sorry, guys - you have the same old tired arguments about why KS doesn't progress.

on laptops - when all of my students have access to laptops and i don't have to buy dress clothes for the economically challenged students then i'll jump on the paperless bandwagon. i don't even have laptops in my classroom.

on KSHSAA (its proper name)- they set "eight plus state" as the limit, just like sports have limits on the number of matches, tournaments, games, etc. for fairness. most states that do debate year round have a limit of 10 tournaments for the year. and most of the time, students can't do both debate and ie's or congress or whatever.

h/w

^perhaps a bit grumpier than usual because of his dentist visit today

The opposition is totally understandable, but it's not as if both teams have to be paperless. One team can be tree-choppin' happy and the other team can be paperless and there would be very little awkwardness (if the paperless team was properly set up and knew paperless well enough).

It would be a change though, and change is hard to conceive of and harder to implement. I do think there's this idea that a paperless team would have some gigantic advantage over paper'd teams, which is a matter of personal preference. Heck, even at camp when we could flow on our computers, I still flowed by hand even though it might have been faster and easier to do it in Excel.

Also, I think a fair majority of debaters do forensics events to either: a) take a rest from debate, or B) have free time to work on debate. Although I'm sure a great deal do like it, I have a feeling that even if you could only go to 8 or 10 tournaments, having them spread out throughout the year instead of jammed into 4 months would be much better as far as not having 3+ tournaments going on in any given weekend.

Also, on dentists: Novocain.

• Downvote 1

How many High School squads on the national circuit are paperless? Are there any at all? As of last year there were only a few colleges (like 3 or 4 if I'm not mistaken)

All I'm saying is that these things take time.

Yeah, but in KS we can't even flow on our laptops or anything. It's not a question of "should we transfer to paperless," it's a problem that we can't use any electronic devices in-round except a timer.

Well both teams don't need to be paperless. One can be paper'd and one can be paperless, all you need is a viewing computer.

I just can't comprehend why KS refuses to progress.

I don't think refusing to go paperless has anything to do with kansas refusing to "progress". I think hibbs has it absolutely right when he says that there are enough squads who have plenty of financial problems as it is. My squad had to make jewelry and sell it as a fund raiser just to pay entry fees. There are very clear feasibility issues holding this back, not necessarily ideological ones.

If you're speaking of laptop use in rounds in general, I feel like there has been substantial change on this topic. NFL changed their rules, many kansas tournaments have been open to their use, and that's radically different from policies of no less than 5 years ago. I'd expect more change to continue for the future. Maybe kansas is willing to "progress"...

I don't think refusing to go paperless has anything to do with kansas refusing to "progress". I think hibbs has it absolutely right when he says that there are enough squads who have plenty of financial problems as it is. My squad had to make jewelry and sell it as a fund raiser just to pay entry fees. There are very clear feasibility issues holding this back, not necessarily ideological ones.

If you're speaking of laptop use in rounds in general, I feel like there has been substantial change on this topic. NFL changed their rules, many kansas tournaments have been open to their use, and that's radically different from policies of no less than 5 years ago. I'd expect more change to continue for the future. Maybe kansas is willing to "progress"...

http://www.kshsaa.org/debate/debannounce.html

Debate Rules meeting clarifications:

Electronic Retrieval Devises – The use of computers, cell phones, PDA, and/or other electronic retrieval devices will not be permitted in competition rounds at regional or state debate tournaments. Exception- Judges may use computers to flow during these rounds. However, it is the responsibility of all judges to write comments on the ballot justifying the rankings. Blank ballots are unacceptable and non-educational for students.

Invitationals may ignore the specific regulations of the regional and state tournaments if they so specify in their invitations. Many do so, mine included.

The de facto policy at present in Kansas is that your tournament host determines whether laptops are acceptable.

Invitationals may ignore the specific regulations of the regional and state tournaments if they so specify in their invitations. Many do so, mine included.

The de facto policy at present in Kansas is that your tournament host determines whether laptops are acceptable.

Good to know.

Yeah, but in KS we can't even flow on our laptops or anything. It's not a question of "should we transfer to paperless," it's a problem that we can't use any electronic devices in-round except a timer.

The title of the thread is "Paperless in Kansas"... so, yes that is the question.

Yes. Every team has three laptops .
Please tell me this is a joke. Access to a single laptop for some students is limited. I travel with my work laptop and my personal laptop and feel like a huge nerd. I have a career and don’t even have 3 laptops. If this is the standard, I shutter to think when any high school would be paperless.

Is it really all that economical? Figure $600 at least per laptop. $25 for a case of paper. You can buy 72 cases of paper instead of the laptops. And that is per team. I don’t think most teams use 72 cases of paper in 4 years. Perhaps I’m wrong.

Environmentally, I’m not sure it makes sense either. Trees are renewable. There is lots of studies being done on the environmental impact of making and disposing of laptop batteries. They use rare metals that must be mined in greater amounts and they are toxic to dispose of.

I applaud UMKC for being pioneers in this area. Perhaps they can report if these concerns are answered. In the meantime I would expect the 1st priority for Kansas before going paperless would be to at least give each kid access to a single laptop.

And for those who think Kansas isn’t progressive, sometime ask yourself why you call evidence “cards”. It wasn’t that long ago that we actually read articles out of magazines that were made of paper. It wasn’t that long ago that having a technological advantage as a squad was having a photocopier in the room. And it wasn’t that long ago that having more than a single desktop computer in the classroom was high tech. Just because you haven’t seen major changes in your relatively short participation in debate doesn’t mean those major changes haven’t been happening.

I was just explaining how it works. I even said above that it is probably not doable in Kansas. The way three laptops are used on each team is each debater has their own laptop that they purchased usually for school or perhaps earlier for debate (being in college virtually everyone has a laptop). And the third laptop is usually a $300 (retail) netbook (you can get them for even less if you go to the right places online). So it actually only ends up costing the squad about 900 dollars (JV and Novice still have paper on our squad). Additionally, even if it ends up costing a bit more in the long run it pays for itself. You need to factor in not just the cost of paper (which does get demolished fast I wouldn't be surprised if we had gone through more than 72 reams of paper last year) but also the travel costs. Paperless means more room in the vans, better gas mileage, and if you ever have to fly it means no extra fees for all the tubs. And before you scoff at better gas mileage (I know I did at first) consider the fact that every tub weighs somewhere between 35-50 lbs. If every team takes 3 tubs and you bring 4 teams thats 600 lbs not weighing the vehicle down anymore. And if you aren't bringing that many teams to a tournament you can take a minivan instead of an SUV or a 12 passenger van and maybe, in some cases, even *gasp* a car!

Environmentally, I’m not sure it makes sense either. Trees are renewable. There is lots of studies being done on the environmental impact of making and disposing of laptop batteries. They use rare metals that must be mined in greater amounts and they are toxic to

There is no doubt that technology waste is a huge concern... but its not like laptops are disposable (especially those used by school districts.) Many school districts are moving towards the one laptop per child model so it's not like there would be a ton more laptops post paperless debate that would move the needle significantly on this issue... Trees are renewable no question, but much pollution is caused in the production of paper.

on the cost issue..

like Alex said, paper goes through fast (especially in our squad... we go through quite a bit)... plus on top of that, you have to look to the costs of ink, the printer itself, fixing the printer, etc, etc... there are multiple other variables on top of the paper issue that make laptops beneficial longterm...

plus many students, especially those in debate, generally have a laptop... i know most of the kids on my squad have a laptop/access to a laptop at least for the tourney. and as some models of laptops get older, they get cheaper... you can get (on average) a laptop that does what you need it to in debate round for $300-400. plus the 3rd laptop wouldn't have to be that high quality at all, just something so the other team could view the evidence (could be an Acer Atom).

I know also that the benefits, especially of the traveling issue would be nice. Most of the time when we go to tournaments, we have to grab another van to have just tubs in, or have to cram them in to get everyone's tubs to fit.

Just my thoughts...

on the cost issue..

like Alex said, paper goes through fast (especially in our squad... we go through quite a bit)... plus on top of that, you have to look to the costs of ink, the printer itself, fixing the printer, etc, etc... there are multiple other variables on top of the paper issue that make laptops beneficial longterm...

plus many students, especially those in debate, generally have a laptop... i know most of the kids on my squad have a laptop/access to a laptop at least for the tourney. and as some models of laptops get older, they get cheaper... you can get (on average) a laptop that does what you need it to in debate round for $300-400. plus the 3rd laptop wouldn't have to be that high quality at all, just something so the other team could view the evidence (could be an Acer Atom).

I know also that the benefits, especially of the traveling issue would be nice. Most of the time when we go to tournaments, we have to grab another van to have just tubs in, or have to cram them in to get everyone's tubs to fit.

Just my thoughts...

This

How many High School squads on the national circuit are paperless? Are there any at all? As of last year there were only a few colleges (like 3 or 4 if I'm not mistaken)

All I'm saying is that these things take time.

There are several squads that have made the transition to paperless. Westminster has been going paperless, and they have been quite successful. Pembroke, and a few other schools have transitioned, and I believe Chattahoochee from Georgia is planning to go paperless next year.